OT: The Thread About Nothing CCXI: The Thread About Everything Besides Hockey and COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
It is crazy. I live in a town that borders Trenton. We have a 7 PM curfew. No traffic on the streets, etc. I have no worries as I live far from the Trenton border and I live on a court. My GF and I will be hanging on the back deck enjoying the nice weather and having some drinks. I feel terrible for the store owners that may be affected. They are just about to get ready to get back to business and now this. One of my mothers neighbors works for the County and they have heard there is talk they are going to loot the major shopping center. Those poor people busted their asses to keep things going during COVID. They really do not deserve to be cleaning up tomorrow.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It is crazy. I live in a town that borders Trenton. We have a 7 PM curfew. No traffic on the streets, etc. I have no worries as I live far from the Trenton border and I live on a court. My GF and I will be hanging on the back deck enjoying the nice weather and having some drinks. I feel terrible for the store owners that may be affected. They are just about to get ready to get back to business and now this. One of my mothers neighbors works for the County and they have heard there is talk they are going to loot the major shopping center. Those poor people busted their asses to keep things going during COVID. They really do not deserve to be cleaning up tomorrow.
That's the rumor for my area tomorrow, specifically Toms River. The downtown area is literally small private businesses though, not large chains or anything really "lootable" if that's even a word. I suppose if they wanted to loot they can go to the mall but that's not near where the alleged protest is going to be beginning from what I've seen on social media.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
That's the rumor for my area tomorrow, specifically Toms River. The downtown area is literally small private businesses though, not large chains or anything really "lootable" if that's even a word. I suppose if they wanted to loot they can go to the mall but that's not near where the alleged protest is going to be beginning from what I've seen on social media.

Yeah I heard ANTIFA is going to Toms River tomorrow to "loot". These assholes just want to destroy shit, it's really really sad.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yeah I heard ANTIFA is going to Toms River tomorrow to "loot". These assholes just want to destroy shit, it's really really sad.
If they go where they're saying the only things right in that plaza are Kohl's, a dollar store, Carter's (kids clothes), 5 Below, T Mobile, a curtain store, couple restaurants, Modells, and Autozone. Even further down town is nothing I'd say is "looting" territory but I'm not a looter so maybe I'm missing something. Regardless they can stay the f*** home.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
If they go where they're saying the only things right in that plaza are Kohl's, a dollar store, Carter's (kids clothes), 5 Below, T Mobile, a curtain store, couple restaurants, Modells, and Autozone. Even further down town is nothing I'd say is "looting" territory but I'm not a looter so maybe I'm missing something. Regardless they can stay the f*** home.

It's not even to loot things, it's more to trash everything.

It's just bullshit and a shame because it's taking away from the real protest that deserves to be heard. The people suffering are just being silenced thanks to these assholes who just want anarchy.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
It's not even to loot things, it's more to trash everything.

It's just bullshit and a shame because it's taking away from the real protest that deserves to be heard. The people suffering are just being silenced thanks to these assholes who just want anarchy.

I've heard the people. Many have.

Now we need to work on addressing this other problem. Fixing one issue does not interfere with the other.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I've heard the people. Many have.

Now we need to work on addressing this other problem. Fixing one issue does not interfere with the other.

But the issue hasn't been fixed. You may have heard their voices, many others may have as well but it hasn't led to anything substantial being done.

Looting and damaging small businesses isn't good, yes. At the same time, it's been proven time and time again that peaceful protests don't do anything. They're brushed aside and nothing actually happens. Enough is enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
But the issue hasn't been fixed. You may have heard their voices, many others may have as well but it hasn't led to anything substantial being done. If anything, so far Trump's just incited more push back against their movement which is absolutely insane to me and it makes me so f***ing angry. He's a petulant child that's incapable of handling this situation, he's making it worse.

Looting and damaging small businesses isn't good, yes. At the same time, it's been proven time and time again that peaceful protests don't do anything. They're brushed aside and nothing actually happens. Enough is enough.

Strongly disagree.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Peaceful protests never worked historically, either. The Boston Tea Party, the Civil Rights Act, Stonewall.

It's inherent in the word "protest". The powers-that-be disapprove of all protest because it threatens their powers. They'll never approve of any of it.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Which peaceful BLM protest worked over the past few years? Because as far as I'm concerned these systemic issues are still very much present.

They do and they will continue to be present after the current set of protests. Unfortunately change takes time. Fortunately, I think these protests will fare better as previous ones as they have reached a much larger audience.

By the way, I do think most of the BLM protests which are happening now are peaceful. Look at Newark, Camden and Asbury Park as models of a successful protest. I think much of the violence and looting is from outside groups and they should not be grouped with BLM.

Below is a source which backs up my opinion that peaceful protests work better than violent ones.

Story Map Journal

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
They do and they will continue to be present after the current set of protests. Unfortunately change takes time. Fortunately, I think these protests will fare better as previous ones as they have reached a much larger audience.

By the way, I do think most of the BLM protests which are happening now are peaceful. Look at Newark, Camden and Asbury Park as models of a successful protest. I think much of the violence and looting is from outside groups and they should not be grouped with BLM.

Below is a source which backs up my opinion that peaceful protests work better than violent ones.

Story Map Journal

I mean even in your source it says "Only in severe situations does peaceful protest not work." And I think after so many years of oppression and senseless violence against the black community for no reason other than the colour of the skin, it's a severe situation. The people that are vowed to serve and protect them have been doing the opposite and needs to change now. Yes, not all cops think that way but they've not done enough to eradicate the problem from within.

I think it's a fine line between non-peaceful protests and opportunistic people taking advantage of the situation, causing more unnecessary harm. There are many people that aren't doing any protesting of the sort and are just causing havoc because they've been given this chance - which is in that article too as a disadvantage. So yes, it's a downside. But being peaceful, taking a knee, or other smaller gestures clearly haven't gotten through to those that can make the appropriate changes. So bigger steps seem necessary at this point or it's nothing's going to change.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
But the issue hasn't been fixed. You may have heard their voices, many others may have as well but it hasn't led to anything substantial being done.

While I do agree that these things are largely ineffective as far as peaceful protests, I think the rioting and looting do even less tbh. They further stereotypes and add fuel to racist idiots fires. I don't know the answer, I'm not sure where to even begin, but some of the riots and looting aren't going to do anything but cause way more issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkauron

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
They further stereotypes and add full to racist idiots fires.

Yeah, and what's even sader is that a lot of the property destruction is being carried out by non-minorities.

Not every business being destroyed or stolen from is backed by a large corporate entity. The videos of minority business owners crying in front of their burned out storefronts are heartbreaking. These are people who have worked hard for what they have and are sympathetic to-if not part of-the cause.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yeah, and what's even sader is that a lot of the property destruction is being carried out by non-minorities.

Not every business being destroyed or stolen from is backed by a large corporate entity. The videos of minority business owners crying in front of their burned out storefronts are heartbreaking. These are people who have worked hard for what they have and are sympathetic to-if not part of-the cause.
That's one of the larger hypocritical pieces of this. Attacking family owned stores, salons, etc is different than big corporate stores. You're essentially ending someone's livelihood by destroying their life's work. I just don't get any of this and I haven't a clue as far as what can be done to fix it. It's horrifying and sad.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
So you're saying you're ok with it?

I mean look, I understand the severity of the situation for those impacted by the looters and those damaging their property. I also said there's a fine line between a non-peaceful protest and those that are simply being opportunistic and not actually standing with those protesting.

But at a certain point the ends justifies the means. If this inevitably can put an end, or at least makes SIGNIFICANT steps towards, the oppression and racism that black Americans face - especially from cops - then that's what matters.

So am I saying I'm okay with it? Not entirely. I'm not. But I'm much less okay with the racism, oppression, violence, and senseless deaths that black Americans have been facing for countless years.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Imagine caring more about buildings than human lives.

Yeah alright, f*** it then. Let's trash everything. Loot all of the stores, burn all of the buildings down

Fast forward a few weeks. Now everyone is starving to death because there is nowhere to get food, crime is rampant, and people are fending for themselves and killing each other on the streets.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Imagine caring more about buildings than human lives.
Imagine not understanding that someone's livelihood may revolve around that building. What if the owners entire life IS that building and it's contents? Or even just an employee of a shop in said building. If they rely solely on that paycheck and now it's gone, what's next?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
While I do agree that these things are largely ineffective as far as peaceful protests, I think the rioting and looting do even less tbh. They further stereotypes and add fuel to racist idiots fires. I don't know the answer, I'm not sure where to even begin, but some of the riots and looting aren't going to do anything but cause way more issues.

It should also be said that while I think blaming the media is too easy a copout in a lot of cases, this is one case where the media amplifying the minority of incidents where violence occured without highlighting the fact that the majority of protests HAVE been peaceful and orderly hurts the cause and society on the whole. Never mind the fact there's been almost as much violence from the police/government overreacting as there has been from rioters.

And most of the people who are rioting and looting don't care about what the actual protesters and demonstrators are doing or stand for. Some are just troublemakers and criminals. Others want an actual race war.

I also reject the notion peaceful protests don't help, there've been a lot of peaceful protests for LGBT rights which have gradually expanded, Vietnam protests changed the national mindset of the war, the '60's race protests clearly didn't solve everything but they helped get the ball rolling in the right direction at least with desegregating schools, buses, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: britdevil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad