OT: The Thread About Nothing CCXI: The Thread About Everything Besides Hockey and COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
IMG_20201024_214931.png

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
i'll bet a million quatloos that shatner survives it :cool:

i loved it on the Shatner roast on Comedy Central when one of the panelists held up a paper lunch bag and asked Shatner to settle a bit the panelists had over whether Shatner could act his way out of it. I still can’t tell if Shatner is in on the self parody or if that really is him.

Reactions: sabremike

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
i loved it on the Shatner roast on Comedy Central when one of the panelists held up a paper lunch bag and asked Shatner to settle a bit the panelists had over whether Shatner could act his way out of it. I still can’t tell if Shatner is in on the self parody or if that really is him.
What I remember most from that roast is that it was one of the rare times Patrice couldn't handle the heat and just looked way out of his depth.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
After an early test screening a writer for the Simpsons said it was as if someone had played him Sgt. Pepper for the first time and I recall someone saying that Larry David’s reaction was that everything they as comics had done up to that point was now irrelevant.
It was okay, I had some good laughs but i wouldn't say it's groundbreaking.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Man, I wanted to like it (Borat 2), but just thought it was a bit dumber than I expected it to be. Still some gold in there, though.

My3Sons

Sponsor
It was okay, I had some good laughs but i wouldn't say it's groundbreaking.

The first Borat? I would say it took a preexisting genre and pushed it to the extreme but the people in the business saw it as really significant. As always comedy is very subjective to the audience member. I’ve never found Will Ferrell or Jim Carrey all that funny but obviously lots of folks do.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The first Borat? I would say it took a preexisting genre and pushed it to the extreme but the people in the business saw it as really significant. As always comedy is very subjective to the audience member. I’ve never found Will Ferrell or Jim Carrey all that funny but obviously lots of folks do.
Case in point, Will Ferrell blows outside of maybe the first Anchorman, and Jim Carrey was best in his non-comedic rolls.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Case in point, Will Ferrell blows outside of maybe the first Anchorman
Step Brothers is a classic, he was great in Old School as well. Alas you're right outside of the one you mentioned and the ones I opined.

Borat 2 was pretty weak. I LOVED the first one but this was definitely nothing above mediocre.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Step Brothers is a classic, he was great in Old School as well. Alas you're right outside of the one you mentioned and the ones I opined.

Borat 2 was pretty weak. I LOVED the first one but this was definitely nothing above mediocre.

i can’t help but think that the element of surprise played a huge role in the success of the first Borat. Obviously you only get that once.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
i can’t help but think that the element of surprise played a huge role in the success of the first Borat. Obviously you only get that once.
That's gotta be it. Aside from being blatantly political, it lacked the actual interactions with people that the first one had. It was just meh in general, his female counterpart was a smoke though.
Yeah, Borat 2 is worth the watch, but not nearly as funny as Borat 1. Seeing how genuinely creepy Giuliani is was somewhat redeeming, though.
Ok so there's that. Just in general he was super creepy with her.

My3Sons

Sponsor
i heard that borat 3 will be filmed on north sentinel island

Actually I meant the viewing experience for the audience and hence its perception as ground breaking or different. I’m guessing if I went back and rewatched it now it would be a bit cringey. Watching those college kids say racist things isn’t that funny so much as it is embarrassing to me. I also think game shows where people are humiliated when they lose are embarrassing so I may be in the minority.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Actually I meant the viewing experience for the audience and hence its perception as ground breaking or different. I’m guessing if I went back and rewatched it now it would be a bit cringey. Watching those college kids say racist things isn’t that funny so much as it is embarrassing to me. I also think game shows where people are humiliated when they lose are embarrassing so I may be in the minority.

i dont think it would be that cringy…..it sure did highlight people at their worst at times……...is it funny? yes, borat makes it funny…i had the "throw the * down the well" song in my head for a whole day last week when i realized the movie was coming out….i was picturing the crowd in the scene

is it funny? ….no, there are those people for real…..it's sad

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
i dont think it would be that cringy…..it sure did highlight people at their worst at times……...is it funny? yes, borat makes it funny…i had the "throw the * down the well" song in my head for a whole day last week when i realized the movie was coming out….i was picturing the crowd in the scene

is it funny? ….no, there are those people for real…..it's sad

Sure and I think that’s the rub. It’s funny so long as you don’t focus on how bad people can be. That’s easier to do when you are getting hit with it quickly and don’t have time to think about it in depth. I think we are saying the same thing differently .

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So I almost just died on the Parkway with a deer standing still in the middle lane going 70, stupidly pulled one way, and so the swerving began (though no one around). Went back and forth about three times at a pretty high rate of speed, at one point facing completely sideways staring at the guardrail, and by some grace of God I managed to not hit a single thing. Though Im afraid I took a decent amount of life off my tires...

today I can still say, GO DEVILS!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So I almost just died on the Parkway with a deer standing still in the middle lane going 70, stupidly pulled one way, and so the swerving began (though no one around). Went back and forth about three times at a pretty high rate of speed, at one point facing completely sideways starting at the guardrail, and by some grace of God I managed to not hit a single thing. Though Im afraid I took a decent amount of life off my tires...

today I can still say, GO DEVILS!

Drive safe Luffy. Glad to hear your ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad