OT: The Thread About Nothing CCXI: The Thread About Everything Besides Hockey and COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
so much OT in the other threads so i'll put this here:

thinking back from years ago about some known and not so known punk albums i first got into…some might be obvious and sorry if i mention things that might be known by some already

op ivy - energy (first heard it burnin' before a festival concert in a borrowed high school car)

stooges - s/t (a classic)

the forgotten rebels - in love with the system (saw them in london over 10 years ago…..desadist still had it )

bad religion - suffer (blasted this one often way back)

dead kennedys - any album

bad brains - s/t (so good)

80's mission of burma (own onoffon…but the early stuff is top shelf)

television - 1st 2 albums (punk? …..or the grateful dead of punk? hmm)

blundermen - (not known at all, a band that played the scene in TO in the mid 90s and put out one 10" record…..blunder on bikini island….its on youtube if anyone would like to hear….like 20 minutes long)

i mentioned minutemen double nickels in the other thread but i love "what makes a man start fires" just as much

………there's obviously more …..

….saw DOA in calgary in '14…..after the show i just had to meet joe keithley…….only to tell him that he was perhaps the best guitar player i've ever seen live…….f***ing incredible …..rips it out and makes it look easy…an amazing lead player

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
This is my first attempt at a post about nothing hockey related - dont drink too often but when I do I prefer good friends and a good bar

I dont get much into drinking at home or someones house unless it is a get together. Does that make me weird or just a ‘social drinker’?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
This is my first attempt at a post about nothing hockey related - dont drink too often but when I do I prefer good friends and a good bar

I dont get much into drinking at home or someones house unless it is a get together. Does that make me weird or just a ‘social drinker’?

as usual…there are are always people around

i drink like mad or i dont on some days

perhaps stay at the ramada and have a good time

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
This doesn't have to be political.

RBG's passing is a tragedy.

Like her or not she served the nation as well as any public servant can. Shattered glass ceilings and genuinely helped marginilezed groups within the bounds of her exceptional understanding of the law.

Rest in power.

political? some classic canadiana…… hilarious to see a chapman stick used in the video :laugh:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Unless you're binging when you do, this makes you pretty much 'normal.' Though my PC would probably call it healthy.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
This doesn't have to be political.

RBG's passing is a tragedy.

Like her or not she served the nation as well as any public servant can. Shattered glass ceilings and genuinely helped marginilezed groups within the bounds of her exceptional understanding of the law.

Rest in power.
Hope she loved what she did and didn't regret retiring, what a long life serving

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Number of the Beast is a special album for me...

March 1982 Number of the Beast Released ---I didn't hear it when it was first released. I heard it later that year in September.

1982 was an amazing year for me... a great, special, spectacular year :)

April of 1982 my epilepsy was deemed "cured" and my medication were ended by my neurologist. 7 years of 12 pills a day, EEG's every quarter and blood work every month FINALLY OVER! Done! Finished!

May 1982 My Dad starts his own business...He waited for 7 years until my medical condition was under control because he didn't want to lose the insurance he had.

May 1982 John McMullen buys the Colorado Rockies

June 1982 Dr McMullen names the new team the New Jersey Devil

September 1982 I start at a new school and hear Number of the Beast for the first time.

October of 1982 I go my first Devils game.

It was a good year :)

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Number of the Beast is a special album for me...

March 1982 Number of the Beast Released ---I didn't hear it when it was first released. I heard it later that year in September.

Bah... I had tickets to Judas Priest with Iron Maiden opening for them for that tour and my parents wouldn't let me go because I had a final the next day :huh:

Although I've seen Maiden probably 10-15 times since then, I never got to see Priest until they played Oz Fest decades later.

Reactions: Out of Business

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bah... I had tickets to Judas Priest with Iron Maiden opening for them for that tour and my parents wouldn't let me go because I had a final the next day :huh:

Although I've seen Maiden probably 10-15 times since then, I never got to see Priest until they played Oz Fest decades later.
Impressive. I think I am about the same... I saw them 5 night in a row a Radio City, Nassau Coliseum, The Meadowlands a few times, MSG 4 times..Once recently like 2007 or 2008 and once in believe it or not a club in Boston...Bruce Dickinson had left the band to do solo stuff in the mid 1990's and Maiden actually played a small club on Landsdowne Street in Boston...I think it was 1996 but I'm not sure? It wasn't right without Bruce.

Edit: Club was named Avalon - Also saw Bruce byhimself for his Tattooed Millionaire album

Last edited:
Reactions: Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Impressive. I think I am about the same... I saw them 5 night in a row a Radio City, Nassau Coliseum, The Meadowlands a few times, MSG 4 times..Once recently like 2007 or 2008 and once in believe it or not a club in Boston...Bruce Dickinson had left the band to do solo stuff in the mid 1990's and Maiden actually played a small club on Landsdowne Street in Boston...I think it was 1996 but I'm not sure? It wasn't right without Bruce.

Edit: Club was named Avalon - Also saw Bruce byhimself for his Tattooed Millionaire album
I wonder when Dickenson got his Profesional pilots license. Must have been around that time.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wonder when Dickenson got his Profesional pilots license. Must have been around that time.
I think he was flying the band in the 80's. I vaguely remember seeing pictures of him in a commercial cockpit in a magazine like Hit Parader or Circus.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think he was flying the band on the 80's. I vaguely remember seeing pictures of him in a commercial cockpit in a magazine like Hit Parader or Circus.
Didn't realize it was that early.

Buddy of mine was hanging out in a vip lounge in an airport and got into a conversation with a couple guys that turned out to be Dickenson's relief pilots. They told him to hang around cause Bruce was going to show up soon, but he had to catch his flight. Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad