OT: The Thread About Nothing CCXI: The Thread About Everything Besides Hockey and COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Was able to score a generator for a friend who lost power on Tuesday. A tree fell into the pole near her house and knocked the pole down across the street with the tree accompanying it. She lives on a culdasac and there's literally no way to get in or out of the end of her street. Super dangerous should one of the four houses has an issue since a fire truck, EMS, or police can't get there.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
My football season was officially canceled today. Not sure if it we will play in the spring. I knew it would happen, but it does suck now that it is official.

I guess I'll go volunteer at my local youth flag football program this fall since that is still running as of now. Teaching little kids honestly may give me a new appreciation for the sport and for coaching. So bring it on I guess lol

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My football season was officially canceled today. Not sure if it we will play in the spring. I knew it would happen, but it does suck now that it is official.

I guess I'll go volunteer at my local youth flag football program this fall since that is still running as of now. Teaching little kids honestly may give me a new appreciation for the sport and for coaching. So bring it on I guess lol
Can you do anything organized? weight room, practice...or even captain's practice?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I guess I'll go volunteer at my local youth flag football program this fall since that is still running as of now.

genuinely curious why one would be canceled but the other isn’t?

edit never mind, just saw the youth one isn’t until fall

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
genuinely curious why one would be canceled but the other isn’t?

edit never mind, just saw the youth one isn’t until fall

Yeah the youth one is starting up in September after labor day, though that is still at risk of getting canceled too.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Can you do anything organized? weight room, practice...or even captain's practice?

We're trying to figure it out. We have a lot of red tape with the school we have to go through.

Since it's a boarding school they dont want to mix boarding school students with day students. So that throws a big wrench into things. I wanted to just have an intrasquad season. Split up into two teams each week and play each other, but we cant mix boarders and day students so that's shot.

Not really sure what's going to happen or if the program even survives this. I have a bad feeling they may close the football program unfortunately.

Reactions: Out of Business

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We're trying to figure it out. We have a lot of red tape with the school we have to go through.

Since it's a boarding school they dont want to mix boarding school students with day students. So that throws a big wrench into things. I wanted to just have an intrasquad season. Split up into two teams each week and play each other, but we cant mix boarders and day students so that's shot.

Not really sure what's going to happen or if the program even survives this. I have a bad feeling they may close the football program unfortunately.
Hope the best for your program in the future.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
o5xU7Fs.jpg

It was a nice day to be out on a lake.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Was not sure where to put this. Nice gesture by Harris/Blitzer.

"HBSE's initiative focuses on increasing opportunities for Black Americans and Black-owned businesses through several programs. For example, the Devils and 76ers will contribute more than $5 million in marketing assets to Black-owned businesses through HBSE's Buy Black Partnership Program.
HBSE will also increase its expenditure with Black-owned businesses through a new Diversity Procurement Program, which will include partnerships with entities like the African American Chamber of Commerce of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware."

Devils owners pledge $20 million to combat racism

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Quick story on meeting Cangi today. I work at a car dealer in Ramsey on rt 17, at around 5pm tonight a service advisor pulls a car into the shop and asks if I could fill all the tires and reset the tire pressure monitor light. So I do it and pulled the car up to the front of the dealership and a guy walks out to take the car, he was wearing a mask but I recognized him, and I said "aren't you Steve Cangialosi?", he said yes, I told him I'm a big Devils fan and we started talking for a few minutes about the team, the NHL, Shero, Hynes, Hall etc. It was a fun few minutes and I told him I can't wait to see him and Dano doing games again. He's alright !

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I think ive discovered a life long addiction - the need to argue for the other side..

No matter what it is about Im constantly finding myself arguing or at least contemplating why the other side of an argument is right - no matter how wrong it is

Ive always been an arguer and have to be right and I think ive discovered why lol. Now how do I fix that because it is SO ingrained in my emotions (and my mothers side lmfao)

I SHOULD HAVE BEEN A DEFENSE ATTORNEY

edit: it is also an infuriating position to have sometimes when you are argue from a neutral perspective because a lot of times people assume you picked a side and argue outside of what you are personally stating

Last edited:

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Ill add to that I usually take a lot from these arguments in terms of new perspective and understanding of things - but the arguing itself is sometimes stressful in how wound up I get, even when Im playing the fence (trying to get my point across to someone who cant understand it or wont). Its a trade off idk if I can make

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I think ive discovered a life long addiction - the need to argue for the other side..

No matter what it is about Im constantly finding myself arguing or at least contemplating why the other side of an argument is right - no matter how wrong it is

Ive always been an arguer and have to be right and I think ive discovered why lol. Now how do I fix that because it is SO ingrained in my emotions (and my mothers side lmfao)

I SHOULD HAVE BEEN A DEFENSE ATTORNEY

edit: it is also an infuriating position to have sometimes when you are argue from a neutral perspective because a lot of times people assume you picked a side and argue outside of what you are personally stating

OMG, I didn’t know my brother was on HFboards too!!!! What’s up man?

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
OK nothing Earth shattering here, and these answers were just his opinion
Me: Was Shero fired or did he quit?
Cangi: Oh no he was fired
Me: Was he fired because he didn't resign Hall (the owners seemed to like him, our only "Star" on the team)
No, they were impatient with the lack of success as a team
Me: Do you think Shero was let go for keeping Hynes too long, and do you think he's a good coach?
Oh I think he's a very good coach, but he had a team with 2 goalies that couldn't stop a puck for a while, and a D corps that didn't do enough offensively, plus terrible luck, Severson is finally coming around and PK had a season nobody could've imagined (in a lack of production sort of way)
Me: What do you think of the trades and draft picks?
We'll see (big smile)
Me: When are you gonna start calling games again?
Hopefully November, but...
Me: Say hi to Dano for me!
OK I will !!!!!
Me: I read on HF that Nico is horrible and the worst draft pick ever?
Cang: No the second worst pick ever !!!! JUST KIDDING I DIDN'T ASK THAT !!!!!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Went to one of the local lakes here yesterday. It was crawling with people. Absolutely crawling. I get that these natural resources are for everyone and in a way it makes me happy that they are being utilized, but it really basically ruins the experience for me. On the bright side I caught what I think is the biggest yellow perch I've ever landed.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Went to one of the local lakes here yesterday. It was crawling with people. Absolutely crawling. I get that these natural resources are for everyone and in a way it makes me happy that they are being utilized, but it really basically ruins the experience for me. On the bright side I caught what I think is the biggest yellow perch I've ever landed.
Yeah places like that are OK during the week or in September when kids are back in school and people are at work. Congrats on the perch !

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah places like that are OK during the week or in September when kids are back in school and people are at work. Congrats on the perch !

I'm hoping to land some more sizable fish next week in Champlain.

This past week I was on a golf trip in Northern Michigan. Since the first time I played there and learned about "Petosky Stones" from the locals, I wanted one. Being a "Why buy it when you can build it?", or in this case, find it, kind of guy, I decided to take an afternoon and go to the shores of Lake Michigan with the intention of finding some Petosky and Charlevoix Stones. I wasn't there long and was frankly ill prepared, but I found a few. Nothing spectacular. When I got home I took a shot at polishing one. This is the first time I've tried this, and it shows. The pattern on this one isn't great either. But it did work:

MhtkGe4.jpg

I have a few Charlevoix stones that should polish up better. Next year I plan to find some more defined Petoskys.

Last edited:
Reactions: The 29th Pick

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
pic of the perch?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
pic of the perch?

Nah. I'm not much of a picture taker. Also not a fan of breaking out the cell phone in the kayak anymore often than I absolutely have to. I did think about getting a small, cheap digital camera for the kayak though.

Reactions: OmNomNom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad