OT: The Thread About Nothing CCX: Pet Emporium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I hate the huge stupid looking boat aspect of cruises.
We went to an all inclusive place. It's kind of like a cruise, except without the boat.

I haven't seen breakdowns as per age groups but it does appear to be more deadly then the flu.

I think I may have heard it also spreads more easily.

So the "it's no worse then the flu" narrative appears to be misguided.
I think many more people will die from this, but not because of the mortality rate. It's simply because many, many more people will contract it. The Ro (rate of infection) is close to 4. I.e. each person tends to infect 4 others. By way of comparison, the Ro of SARS was something like 2.5. I think the survival rate is pretty close to the flu though.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
We went to an all inclusive place. It's kind of like a cruise, except without the boat.

I think many more people will die from this, but not because of the mortality rate. It's simply because many, many more people will contract it. The Ro (rate of infection) is close to 4. I.e. each person tends to infect 4 others. By way of comparison, the Ro of SARS was something like 2.5. I think the survival rate is pretty close to the flu though.

Pretty much right on. We're constantly living with dangers, and this is no different.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I have never had the flu vaccine. It is based off a guess of what strain it is going to be and I know many people who have gotten the flu even with the vaccine so it isnt that effective.

Waste of time for something that doesnt work

There's a ton scientifically wrong with your post.

1) It's not possible to protect with one shot against the MANY strains of flu, so they guess as to what they think 3 (or 4) of the worst strains may be. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong, but it's far better to be protected against at least those strains than none.

2) Even if they guess 100% wrong, there is enough similarity between flu strains that those vaccinated each year with be conferred with an immunological response advantage over those who do not. In laymens terms, you could still catch the flu, but if you do, it will not be serious, and will certainly be "less worse" than if you werent vaccinated. It can even save lives, even if they're "wrong".

So the "it's no worse then the flu" narrative appears to be misguided.

It is worse than the flu, but it's much closer to the flu than the, "everyone in America will die, twice" coverage it's getting by the media.

Reactions: Azathoth

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
With a confirmed case of Corona Virus in NJ, we just told one of the seniors on my team to stop commuting to work and work remotely. I stopped taking mass transit as of today. Holy shit, here we are.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
With a confirmed case of Corona Virus in NJ, we just told one of the seniors on my team to stop commuting to work and work remotely. I stopped taking mass transit as of today. Holy shit, here we are.

I'm very jealous

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

So then, who is going to skip out on attending Friday's game? I know I am, but only because my interest level is just above zero.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
So then, who is going to skip out on attending Friday's game? I know I am, but only because my interest level is just above zero.

JMO but I think you'd be insane to go to a hockey game right now. Incubation period for this virus is two weeks so we have no idea how many people have it. I think I'm going to go to my grad school class that has about 15 people in it, but I'm going to tell the professor that if anyone coughs or sneezes without leaving the room first, I'm leaving immediately.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Any big beer guys out there with a thought on alchemist's heady topper?
Had 2 yesterday at the Burlington airport.

It's a great beer if you're in to ipa's, but it is slightly overhyped due to the scarcity principle.

Still, if you can get your hands on it at a reasonable price then by all means indulge.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
SHORT VERSION:
The media are scaring the **** out of people about this. Yeah, it's a bad bug, it's all over America now, but enough is enough. It's absurd at this point. When this is all said & done, they'll find the true COVID-19 mortality rate isn't much higher than flu (maybe something like .3 or .4 versus .1. Certainly higher yes, but nothing insane).

LONG VERSION:
You're going to find (eventually) that the death rate from COVID is nowhere near as high as the 2.5% to 4% that the media loves to constantly report. That's a total BS number because it's simply based on reported cases & known deaths. The reality is the "cases" are many tens-of-thousands higher, because there are people all over the planet now who thought/think they had/have a bad cold, and actually have/had COVID-19. And while it's easy to "miss" a COVID case, it's kind of tough to miss a bodybag. So COVID cases get seriously under-reported & COVID deaths are fairly accurate, which leads to an accurate numerator & an inaccurately low denominator = a mathematically over-exaggerated mortality rate which is breathlessly being reported by the media.

About that data, nobody should flipping trust the Chinese or Iranian data. At this point the only data I trust is the South Korean data. South Korea is a free country with an advanced, modern, structured, healthcare system. They have a serious COVID-19 outbreak & thus a robust data set of cases. Guess what? As of yesterday, the death rate in South Korea is only 0.6. Keep in mind, there has GOT to be significant under-counting in South Korea as well for the aforementioned reasons. In other words, when this is all said & done, I doubt the COVID-19 death rate will be all that much higher than flu. COVID appears deadly to people >=65'ish and very deadly >=80'ish, but not so much in young healthy people (like flu). For instance, there are currently over 1,800 cases in S.K. in people <=30, and not a single person has died. Ya'd kinda think the media might want to let people know that, but of course, that doesnt get you ratings and marketing $$$$ - fear does.
Going with this logic it stands to reason that the flu is significantly under reported as well.

Which means covid is still exponentially more lethal than the flu.

The WHO is not the media and are taking this matter very seriously. I'm going to roll with their opinions about the virus.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I think the survival rate is pretty close to the flu though.
All currently available data suggests otherwise.

This is what happens when the media is constantly lambasted by those who have significant personal interest in doing so.

The Times, WaPo, Bloomberg, etc etc, are not just trying to sell subscriptions here.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Going with this logic it stands to reason that the flu is significantly under reported as well.

Which means covid is still exponentially more lethal than the flu.

The WHO is not the media and are taking this matter very seriously. I'm going to roll with their opinions about the virus.

This is the bottom line for me. I'm used to media sensationalizing things, and I even kind of take pride in not get wound up about stuff that people tell us to freak out about. This is different. I'm beyond concerned about this, I'm legitimately scared. When I first heard about this virus, I kept waiting for some trusted experts to calm everyone down and explain that the risks or severity of the illness were being exaggerated. That never happened. This is, I think, the first time in my life that I've ever seen the medical community more alarmed than the general public. To be clear, there are a lot of variables here, and those variables could go in the right direction and really mitigate the impact of this virus, but the sense that I get is that if these variables break in the wrong direction, things can indeed get very, very bad.

That said, I've done some reading in the last couple of days, and it has made me feel better. I'm not as worried for myself any more. I know that if I get it I'm pretty unlikely to die from it. I know that my siblings and my niece and nephew are similarly probably going to be okay. I am concerned for my parents, but I feel like at least I understand what they're facing, and I'm hopeful that with some warm weather, and adequate precautions, they'll be okay too.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
JMO but I think you'd be insane to go to a hockey game right now. Incubation period for this virus is two weeks so we have no idea how many people have it. I think I'm going to go to my grad school class that has about 15 people in it, but I'm going to tell the professor that if anyone coughs or sneezes without leaving the room first, I'm leaving immediately.

My grad school class is literally all (25ish) students from mainland China, and me. They're more scared than anyone. The guy who had it at Grand Central on Tuesday happened, and my class is two blocks away, and they were begging the professor to cancel class. A few of them have / had families quarantined back home. It's wild.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
My grad school class is literally all (25ish) students from mainland China, and me. They're more scared than anyone. The guy who had it at Grand Central on Tuesday happened, and my class is two blocks away, and they were begging the professor to cancel class. A few of them have / had families quarantined back home. It's wild.

f*** man, I can't even imagine that, pray to god it somehow doesn't happen here. So sorry for them.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm beyond concerned about this, I'm legitimately scared.

You dont need to be. See my prior post on this re: our most accurate death rate statistics being closer to 0.6 than the 2.5% to 4% you're CONSTANTLY hearing about in the media.

EDIT: And I can say that 0.6 I noted yesterday is static as of today with 35 deaths in 5,766 CONFIRMED (i.e. the "real" death rate will likely be lower than 0.6) Korean cases.

EDIT2: And we've crossed the point where > 50% of global "confirmed cases" are fully recovered. You probably havent heard that on TV, because it doesn't help further the goal of scaring the ever-loving **** out of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkauron

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You dont need to be. See my prior post on this re: our most accurate death rate statistics being closer to 0.6 than the 2.5% to 4% you're CONSTANTLY hearing about in the media.

EDIT: And I can say that 0.6 I noted yesterday is static as of today with 35 deaths in 5,766 CONFIRMED (i.e. the "real" death rate will likely be lower than 0.6) Korean cases.

EDIT2: And we've crossed the point where > 50% of global "confirmed cases" are fully recovered. You probably havent heard that on TV, because it doesn't help further the goal of scaring the ever-loving **** out of you.
Hospitals, governments, and corporations worldwide are not reacting to and losing billions over whatever the guardian is publishing. They're responding to actual data.

And yeah, >50% are going to fully recover. It's not hiv in the 80's and most people aren't 60+.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I'm not concerned about the death rate, I'm concerned about the rate of infection. That's far more scary to me. I spoke with my mom this evening and she was totally unconcerned, she was shocked that I was so worried. I guess we'll see.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm not concerned about the death rate, I'm concerned about the rate of infection. That's far more scary to me. I spoke with my mom this evening and she was totally unconcerned, she was shocked that I was so worried. I guess we'll see.

This is exactly where I can understand the concern. It does seem to spread fast. But, given the death rate and symptoms, unless you are very old, you should have the same level of concern about what happens after you get it as you do the flu.

I sure wish we would sensationalize the absurdity of antivaxers and the possibility of really scary things like small pox coming back as much as we do things like West Nile, the Bird Flu and Covid 19...

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I think the concern is that, even with the low mortality rate, the sheer numbers of people who may get this means a large number of critical cases which may overwhelm the hospitals.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't know if I'm just too laid back and passive, but the Coronavirus doesn't worry me one bit. Wash your hands, use sanitizer, cover your mouth for coughs and sneezes, etc. Way more people die from the flu than this. It's common sense. Avoid doctors and hospitals unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't know, I am just not one to get caught up in this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad