OT: The Thread About Nothing CCX: Pet Emporium

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In a few months, it'll be 18 years for me. I ran into a college friend a few weeks back and I don't know why I felt a smidge of shame in telling him that I was still with the same company.

Ah, that explains why Miracle was on TV over the weekend. Sadly I was looking up the actors and the one who portrayed Jack O'Callahan committed suicide in 2017.
I think there is honor in loyalty. Especially when it's reciprocal. But I have an old fashioned way of thinking on so much ;)

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
That's awesome. I know a lot of people that became Devil fans during that run.

I actually think that was an important point in Devil's history because a lot of New Jersey people who follwed other teams came home that year.
Well it didn't hurt that I was going to Stevens Tech (like 4 miles away in Hoboken) at the time and managed to get tix to all the playoff games cause a dorm mate of mine was a big fan.

Strangely, of all the memories of that run, the thing that stuck out the most to me was the game where we close out the Islanders. 19040 giant foam fingers (the give-away that game) pointing at the goal and chanting "Hruuuuuuuuuuudyyyyyy". I guess a close second was seeing replacement refs skate out wearing... well... not ref stuff :)

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah that dude is not only wrong, but a f***ing stupid human being as well. Politely ask if the person wouldn't mind reclining less. If that doesn't work, then suck it up for the four hours you're on a plane, you'll survive. Punching the seat repeatedly is a kid's move.

The only reason there's any debate is because internet argument logic boils down to right vs. wrong with no room for nuance or courtesy. You could technically be right in a lot of scenarios that would still leave you looking like an asshole (This guy, maybe, for example).

There's a saying that a smart man knows a tomato is a fruit, but a wise man knows not to put a tomato in a fruit salad. A lot of internet debates boil down to like half the people arguing that the tomato should go in the fruit salad. Just stupid.

Reactions: tr83

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yeah that dude is not only wrong, but a ****ing stupid human being as well. Politely ask if the person wouldn't mind reclining less. If that doesn't work, then suck it up for the four hours you're on a plane, you'll survive. Punching the seat repeatedly is a kid's move.

The only reason there's any debate is because internet argument logic boils down to right vs. wrong with no room for nuance or courtesy. You could technically be right in a lot of scenarios that would still leave you looking like an ******* (This guy, maybe, for example).

There's a saying that a smart man knows a tomato is a fruit, but a wise man knows not to put a tomato in a fruit salad. A lot of internet debates boil down to like half the people arguing that the tomato should go in the fruit salad. Just stupid.

tomatoes can do anything they want

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Shoutout-to-the-hotel-maids.jpg

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Oliwa just walked out of the gym I go to. Zoo Health Club in Bridgewater.

I was like “Wow that’s a big dude... Wait, he’s wearing a Devils jacket with the 2000 Cup reunion logo? Oh damn that’s Oliwa.”

My list of random Devils I’ve run into now is:

- Jacques Lemaire
- Jim Dowd
- Krzysztof Oliwa

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We almost lost Ryan Newman tonight if there are any racing fans on here. Just incredible how he survived a worst case scenario impact, getting tboned in the drivers window at full speed and having the driver survive is an incredible accomplishment to Nascar. What an amazing car they built.

Newman is in serious condition but has “non life threatening injuries”.

3B1A30A6-38FC-4EB6-9C56-33AF0FE04CB8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Damn that is scary.

I have not followed Nascar in years, but did they take out the restricter plates? Cause God damn all of those cars were crashing into each other's bumpers like crazy compared to the past. Looked dangerous as hell.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Damn that is scary.

I have not followed Nascar in years, but did they take out the restricter plates? Cause God damn all of those cars were crashing into each other's bumpers like crazy compared to the past. Looked dangerous as hell.
It’s now called a ‘tapered spacer’ but it’s essentially the same thing but they have better throttle response which is what allows them to get big runs on each other. They were drafting around 200-205mph at times. I can see Nascar restricting them at Daytona and Talladega to peak at 195 going forward. They need to keep these cars on the ground because when they go over the drivers window and roof gets exposed to oncoming traffic like this. Terrifying crash.

In other news, IndyCar and F1 are back in one month. :vhappy:

Last edited:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I admittedly don't follow NASCAR as closely as I follow other racing (F1 in particular) but the Daytona 500 to me always seems like such a sideshow act. The fact that you spend the entire race waiting for "The Big One" to happen takes me out of it.

Reactions: Darkauron

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I admittedly don't follow NASCAR as closely as I follow other racing (F1 in particular) but the Daytona 500 to me always seems like such a sideshow act. The fact that you spend the entire race waiting for "The Big One" to happen takes me out of it.
The new Haas and Alpha Tauri liveries are nice

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
That dude is unequivocally wrong and a POS of human being.
I flew twice this week and ended up in the last row of a tiny twin jet thing from EWR-BTV, and it got me thinking. On the return flight - since this trash had blown up by then - I couldn't help but look at the guy in front of me and think that it would mean nothing to my life if he reclined his seat.

As a matter of fact I have only considered the question twice in my life. The first being when all the drama was occurring about people placing locks on the seats in front of them, and now.

I have flown closer to 1k times than 100 and have never been confronted for reclining or been offended by the person in front of me doing the same.

The guy in that video needs to be put out to pasture and I'd bet anything he wouldn't have been behaving that way had there been a man in that seat.

Last edited:

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Haven’t been on and active here in probably two years but I think the last time I was active was around when I got engaged. Also known, as one rebuild ago.

Kidding. Happy to be back around these parts and my now wife and I are doing great.

Reactions: Bleedred

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
When I got home from work today I found the butter container butterless and open on the floor of the kitchen, half a stick of chewed butter smashed into the carpet in the living room and little butter paw prints all over the dining room table. Bengals, man. They are something else. It's hard to be mad at these faces, though:

onXk3Db.jpg

aNMs8i9.jpg

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
When I got home from work today I found the butter container butterless and open on the floor of the kitchen, half a stick of chewed butter smashed into the carpet in the living room and little butter paw prints all over the dining room table. Bengals, man. They are something else. It's hard to be mad at these faces, though:

onXk3Db.jpg

aNMs8i9.jpg

ya…..thats a "butter face" if i ever saw one

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Like six years ago my then-roommates and I shared a cat. One day we came home and found the bag of treats we accidentally left on the counter chewed open, a pile of vomit full of barely digested treats, and him just passed out soundly asleep next to both. He went on a full-on bender.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
So when does the smart money jump back into the stock market?

Now, very slowly. If you wanted to buy 100 shares total, buy 20 now, 20 when the market dips again, and so on.

This strategy makes sense if trades are cheap or if 100 shares costs $5K

The market bottoms when it hears less news about one of two things: supply chain disruptions or store closings.

I think it's going to take a long time for it to hit bottom. It hasn't broken out uncontrolled in the US yet. Its only a matter of time now since the US hasn't stopped international flights.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So... I'm down in sunny Antigua, and I have an important question.

How many calories do you think a Pina colada is? I think I already exceeded my allotment for the entire vacation :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->