OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVI: Sitting in the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
When I tell people my favorite time to be in the stream is the middle of winter when it's snowing, they can't believe it. No more peaceful feeling will you experience than when you have an entire stream to yourself, and the only sound is the water moving through it.

i get the same feeling in the wood shop when theres a blizzard…….just the storm outside the windows and building something inside without intrusions …..just waiting on the first one of 2019……..i just moved a wall back 2' and had to patch the concrete below……it opened up the shop just enough……also had to add a 16' beam because of the change……..already feels like a better space….(also have room now to install an old wood stove.

im gonna be set for the winter very soon…..me and my suitcase of 8 tracks…(i have a player built into the wall without the case so as to see all inner workings and spinning wheels)

oh hell yes……

images

Last edited:
Reactions: TheUnseenHand

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So BG, what are your feelings on the potential storm coming this weekend?

Too early to say. Anyone "calling" for anything specific at this time is just looking for webhits.

I'll definitely be looking at this over the next few days though, fingers crossed.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Too early to say. Anyone "calling" for anything specific at this time is just looking for webhits.

I'll definitely be looking at this over the next few days though, fingers crossed.

Well, it's the first time this winter I'm actually excited for the potential of a storm. That's something at least.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Well, it's the first time this winter I'm actually excited for the potential of a storm. That's something at least.

Yeah, as of now it looks good for a NE storm, but too warm down here and we'd get rain. But all that can change, just need 3 to 6 degrees cooler than modeled at the moment.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I've literally never done this, I'd assume the fish wouldnt bite much, not so?
It's fun and fish feed. :). They just won't move very far to eat so you got to put it in their lane and know where they hold.

Never going to be as productive as a good spring day but fish get caught....sometimes :)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's the US Post Office, "throwing it away" is a plausible outcome.

Welp, they at least didn't throw them away. Arrived today in a box that was beat to hell, cold and wet. The plants look OK, so hopefully they pull through.

dK1LD1z.jpg

I'd love to plant them today, but guess who is stuck in bed again with a herniated disc? This guy. I guess today was too early for me to go back to work...

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Wow, that must have been amazing!

When are we moving to Utah?

Bryce was even better than zion. What an amazing place. I'll try to post some photos when I get back.

Went to Horseshoe Bend and Monument Valley today. Wish it wasn't so cloudy at Monument Valley, but whatever.

Off to the Grand Canyon tomorrow! I'd like to hike down to the bottom of the canyon, but we'll see

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I always loved the straight edge punks! They always found a way to have fun and rock out. One of my best friends growing up was one, and the stupid **** we used to do to entertain ourselves. Ah, memories.
It’s nice to see some of you are familiar with it all. I’ve met my fair share of people who are so misinformed about what straight edge is and isn’t. I’m old enough to remember 20/20 covering a segment in the late 90’s about Mormon straight edge gangs in Salt Lake City and an awful Fox News segment with Geraldo from the middle 00’s with Karl Buechner of Earth Crisis. I went out on a date with a girl not so many years ago who made a comment about not being straight edge. This was before I even told her anything about being straight edge. I asked her what she knew about straight edge and played dummy like I didn’t know what it was. Her explanation was cringe worthy. “it’s a do-gooder that never gets in trouble or does anything illegal”. Cringy ASF. Usually, I don’t tell people I’m straight edge if they’re not involved in the scene. I’ll just say I’m a non-drinker or I don’t smoke or get high. I told my now-wife after a few weeks of dating about being straight edge. She knew nothing about it or the music before meeting me.

I used to have fun with my non-edge buddies growing up. One time I played the lookout while they snuck into a liquor store and stole a bunch of beer. I also stored a bunch of my best friend’s 40’s in a sack up in my bedroom so he didn’t have to keep them at his house where his parents would find them. My mom knew I didn’t drink and abhorred it. So she wouldn’t have thought a thing if I held my best friend’s beer up in my room for him at 15 years old. I also had to be the lookout when I was at a sleepover with friends and they were smoking weed one night. I had to make sure his parents didn’t wake up. Man, we had some righteous times!
Cool.

I grew up at the other end of the punk and hardcore spectrum but always enjoyed a good shelter show at the pony or coney island high. Earth crisis shows at birch hill could be a bit much though if you were getting hammered/smoking weed/whatever lol.

Thanks for the reply dude
No problem, dude! So you went to Coney Island high? We must be near the same age. I know people 3-5 years younger than me and if I mentioned coney island high they would think I was talking about a high school on Coney Island. I saw some sweet gigs there! I was never huge into Shelter but since YOT broke up before I was old enough to see them during their initial run Shelter was cool enough for me in the 90’s! I like some Earth Crisis just fine, though, they had a certain sect of fans who would shun and even f*** with the non-edge crowd. Some of their stuff is cool but they definitely attracted macho elitist types.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This afternoon's Euro run just went full-blown Snowpocalyse on us.

If this were to happen, even staying with my wife's family in n.VT & even with AWD & snow tires, would I be able to get to the ski resort Sunday?

50163208-2282268468473618-8825997367661559808-n.png

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It’s nice to see some of you are familiar with it all. I’ve met my fair share of people who are so misinformed about what straight edge is and isn’t. I’m old enough to remember 20/20 covering a segment in the late 90’s about Mormon straight edge gangs in Salt Lake City and an awful Fox News segment with Geraldo from the middle 00’s with Karl Buechner of Earth Crisis. I went out on a date with a girl not so many years ago who made a comment about not being straight edge. This was before I even told her anything about being straight edge. I asked her what she knew about straight edge and played dummy like I didn’t know what it was. Her explanation was cringe worthy. “it’s a do-gooder that never gets in trouble or does anything illegal”. Cringy ASF. Usually, I don’t tell people I’m straight edge if they’re not involved in the scene. I’ll just say I’m a non-drinker or I don’t smoke or get high. I told my now-wife after a few weeks of dating about being straight edge. She knew nothing about it or the music before meeting me.

I used to have fun with my non-edge buddies growing up. One time I played the lookout while they snuck into a liquor store and stole a bunch of beer. I also stored a bunch of my best friend’s 40’s in a sack up in my bedroom so he didn’t have to keep them at his house where his parents would find them. My mom knew I didn’t drink and abhorred it. So she wouldn’t have thought a thing if I held my best friend’s beer up in my room for him at 15 years old. I also had to be the lookout when I was at a sleepover with friends and they were smoking weed one night. I had to make sure his parents didn’t wake up. Man, we had some righteous times!

No problem, dude! So you went to Coney Island high? We must be near the same age. I know people 3-5 years younger than me and if I mentioned coney island high they would think I was talking about a high school on Coney Island. I saw some sweet gigs there! I was never huge into Shelter but since YOT broke up before I was old enough to see them during their initial run Shelter was cool enough for me in the 90’s! I like some Earth Crisis just fine, though, they had a certain sect of fans who would shun and even **** with the non-edge crowd. Some of their stuff is cool but they definitely attracted macho elitist types.
Any chance you grew up in Point Pleasant? We used to have a straight edge kid in our group who did the exact same thing, lol.

And yeah, great memories of coney island high. The best was catching a band at the pipeline (Newark was FOUL in the early-mid 90's, but that's precisely what we were looking for) and staying out until they played CIH the next night.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Need a slight shift of that snowline south. I really don't want cold rain and a slushy few inches.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
This afternoon's Euro run just went full-blown Snowpocalyse on us.

If this were to happen, even staying with my wife's family in n.VT & even with AWD & snow tires, would I be able to get to the ski resort Sunday?

50163208-2282268468473618-8825997367661559808-n.png

I'm bad at trying to figure out this map - what does this say for NYC?

(Gimme the snow, gimme the snow....)

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Any chance you grew up in Point Pleasant? We used to have a straight edge kid in our group who did the exact same thing, lol.

And yeah, great memories of coney island high. The best was catching a band at the pipeline (Newark was FOUL in the early-mid 90's, but that's precisely what we were looking for) and staying out until they played CIH the next night.
I grew up in Bergen County. I spent a few summers in Manasquan but never hung out with any other kids there. I think I was a little too young for the pipeline. I’m not sure when it closed but I don’t think I started going to shows until 95-96.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Of course, a 50 mile eastern shift could be 6 to 8 inches. There's going to be very tight gradients on the eastern edges of this storm, and by "edge", I mean 50 or 60 miles. That's the one thing all the models agree on. This one (the European) shows more snow that the others.

Reactions: None Shall Pass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad