OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVI: Sitting in the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I read a fair bit of U.K. news, and have for years. It seems like that place is growing less "free" by the hour, with citizen's lives being micromanaged.

U.K.'s Advertising Standards Authority bans advertisements produced by Ford (NYSE:F), Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (NYSE:FCAU) and Nissan (OTCPK:NSANY) for promoting reckless driving. One of the ads found to be in non-compliance was a Ford ad using the famous Dylan Thomas "rage against the dying of the light" line as a Ford Mustang was driven in what the agency calls an "abrupt" manner.

Apparently, the government received 12 (that's all) complaints that the Mustang was driving "too fast" and they banned the commercial.

Keep in mind, the population of the U.K. is something like 70 MILLION people. And 12 complained.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I feel like, "Sitting in the Blind" would be a great name for a hunting column. Or a really witty blog about something.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
I read a fair bit of U.K. news, and have for years. It seems like that place is growing less "free" by the hour, with citizen's lives being micromanaged.

Apparently, the government received 12 (that's all) complaints that the Mustang was driving "too fast" and they banned the commercial.

Keep in mind, the population of the U.K. is something like 70 MILLION people. And 12 complained.

Yes, but we all know 1 complaint equals 1 billion people.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why didn't you guys complain the first time it was without lol

Looking it up, it was at 203 when threads were unlimited so that one was especially long, then for some reason I posted just TAN without the number so my bad I guess :P

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I take that as a great compliment.

I tend not to talk about these things in public or openly. They seem to create massive division.

But it was ingrained in me from practically birth that when I do talk about these things, to remember to always conduct myself in a civil manner.

My dad still always says to me remember that you are an ambassador every day. By that he means a lot of things but in general he means hunters need to conduct themselves to a higher standard. Not just in hunting but in everything as to never be labeled "buba" or even worse "*******" :)

He gets a little preachy with young hunters cause he believes how they conduct themselves will determine the future of hunting. He thinks there is the majority in the middle who are niether hunters or anti-hunters who will decide the issue and our job is to be dignified and civil to convince the majority that we are truly worth their trust. So I try to be the best ambassador possible to archery.
Your pops sounds like a wise man.

Even though I've never been hunting myself I've never understood the detractors to sustenance hunting who also consume meat, wear leather, etc. I get the arguments against (as well as for) trophy hunting, but if you already consume animals you may as well have a connection to the process. Someday I'll make the leap.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Doesnt involve us, nor is it a big deal, but the islanders moved another game from barclays to nvmc (or whatever the novel of title). 2 things about this, 1, they now will be playing more home games ON the island, and 2, the booing for Tavares(they play Toronto)will be extra loud as the crowd sound in that building is still really good

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
if you already consume animals you may as well have a connection to the process. Someday I'll make the leap.

As NIKE says, just do it.

I wanted to for years, but the whole not knowing how to field dress held me back as an intimidating factor. It's honestly really not hard at all.

I will say it's extremely rewarding eating something that you were involved with from soup to nuts, rather than slapping down some ducats for meat on a piece of styrofoam. I've even bought a jerky gun, dehydrator, and meat slicer over the last few years and make several different flavors of venison jerky. Bonus points for venison being WAY healthier for you than cow. In fact, if I do get a deer this season I think I'm just going to have the entire animal ground up for jerky & burgers rather than turned into steaks, backstrap, etc....

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Had a minor epiphany last night -
All happiness is about words and faces.

If you can't sit across from someone with a pint (coffee/etc) and converse and convey your ideas, or reminisce, or tell a story or a joke - then what the hell good are you? Whatever the language, whomever the people, whatever the circumstances - there just isn't anything more important in the grand scheme of things than making eye contact and finding common ground on how you perceive the world around you. Looking into the eyes of your kids/spouse/friend - or reading a book.

It's how we learn, how we educate ourselves, how we share experiences and convey knowledge.

I'm just going to pay attention from now on how much time I actually spend talking with people and how much time I look into their faces whilst I'm doing it - and I'm going to make sure it is a hell of alot more than what I'm doing now.

I'm sure someone will be back with: 'your WCF% (word count for) is too low' and your theory is just hand-waving no matter what the eye-test says.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A leap? I would say invest time in the places near you. Places you have a connection to and have meaning.

You can spend time in natural places and learn its rhythms and then make a choice: do you want to be an observer or do you want to a participant.

But either way you can be a champion for these places. This is why I can understand the detractors. If we can come to agreement that there is value in natural things and that they are worthy of conservation and preservation, the observer and the participant can find common ground.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Had a minor epiphany last night -
All happiness is about words and faces.

If you can't sit across from someone with a pint (coffee/etc) and converse and convey your ideas, or reminisce, or tell a story or a joke - then what the hell good are you? Whatever the language, whomever the people, whatever the circumstances - there just isn't anything more important in the grand scheme of things than making eye contact and finding common ground on how you perceive the world around you. Looking into the eyes of your kids/spouse/friend - or reading a book.

It's how we learn, how we educate ourselves, how we share experiences and convey knowledge.

I'm just going to pay attention from now on how much time I actually spend talking with people and how much time I look into their faces whilst I'm doing it - and I'm going to make sure it is a hell of alot more than what I'm doing now.

I'm sure someone will be back with: 'your WCF% (word count for) is too low' and your theory is just hand-waving no matter what the eye-test says.

I like it man. Good on you. We could all use a bit more humanity.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
THE HUNTER’S MOON MEANING
Full Moon for October 2018

The Algonquin Native American tribes referred to October’s Moon as the Full Hunter’s Moon because time to go hunting in preparation for winter.

The Hunter’s Moon rises right around sunset—and sets around sunrise. It’s the only night in the month when the Moon is in the sky all night long.

Because the Hunter’s Moon rises around sunset near the horizon, it may appear bigger and more orange than your typical Moon. However, this is just the “Moon Illusion.”

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
A year or two ago I wrote about how I think the future of the Olympics is in danger given how obscenely expensive they're becoming, as well as the fact the general public has caught on to that.

Well, it may be happening sooner than I thought, as the 2026 Winter Games seem in danger.

Only 3 bids!

Calgary - Vote next month, but apparently there are plenty of Canucks who dont want it.

Stockholm - lack of government support

Italy - lack of government support (and BTW, financial problems)

No plan B for 2026 Winter Games campaign: IOC's Bach | Reuters

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A year or two ago I wrote about how I think the future of the Olympics is in danger given how obscenely expensive they're becoming, as well as the fact the general public has caught on to that.

Well, it may be happening sooner than I thought, as the 2026 Winter Games seem in danger.

Only 3 bids!

Calgary - Vote next month, but apparently there are plenty of Canucks who dont want it.

Stockholm - lack of government support

Italy - lack of government support (and BTW, financial problems)

No plan B for 2026 Winter Games campaign: IOC's Bach | Reuters
It's Global Warming ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->