OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVI: Sitting in the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
18 year old civilians don’t need handguns.

Cool thing about having a voluntary military is you can sign up to play with all the firearms you want as a teenager, if you’re into that.

I’d pick all ages being set to 21 in this scenario.
Yeah, I considered making that the exception but plenty of states are already 19 or younger. I lived in New Mexico for a bit and it wasn't entirely uncommon for teenagers to be the recipient of guns as Christmas presents.

I'll leave it at that because we're probably already toeing the line in regards to forum rules and the gun debate.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This translates to: you "trust" people who ideologically view "a wide array of issues", the same as you do.

Personally, I trust intelligent people of all ages.

Either way, I'd still be in favor of either moving booze, pot, and guns down to 18, or moving voting and the draft up to 21.

Not necessarily it doesn't. There is such a thing as common sense and the ability to think critically. I trust people who have these two traits, most particularly the latter, a hell of a lot more than those who don't, even if we don't land on the same conclusion.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Off to Vegas! Gonna be gone for 8 days. Hope I dont miss too much excitement here while I'm gone

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Huh. Do you mind if I ask why?

Definitely not judging as I wish I had consumed less than I have in the last 20 years, but given that so much of our society revolves around booze you don't run in to people with a similar story too often.

No worries if it's a personal matter.
It’s no problem, I don’t mind explaining when someone is respectful. Someone on another forum I cruise and post once said that he’d be alarmed if someone never tried marijuana. He also recommended that people snort coke once or twice and try every kind of food there is. Talk like that is one of the reasons I’ve abstained from drinking and drugging all these years. I actually like that it grinds gears of some. From a young age I never had much interest. I thought it was cool to shun it all in a world where shunning those things was completely not cool. When I was 13 I discovered the hardcore punk scene and bands like Minor Threat, Youth Of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Judge, SS Decontrol and stuff like that. Most were broken up before I got into them. A band called Floorpunch from NJ who were active and just coming up at the time. Mouthpiece was another NJ band. And I got into straight edge. I thought it was out of this world that these people were into this aggressive music and they sang about how they didn’t drink alcohol. It was a sharp contrast from listening to Alice In Chains and Layne Staley singing about shooting dope or seeing Slash with a cigarette dangling out his mouth in every shot.

I was also an outcast and the music was a lot more personal to me than whatever Krock was playing at the time in the middle 90’s. I still listened to plenty of punk bands that sang about sniffing glue and drinking beer and they were cool, too. I just loved that I discovered this straight edge thing. I would even draw X’s on my hands at school. That’s how into it I was. And in high school and through my early 20’s I would always be told I would grow out of it. Well, I stopped drawing X’s on my hands at school by 10th grade, save for when I attended a hardcore show sometimes. I was made to feel a fool about it hundreds, if not thousands of times. Even in my 30’s. My now-wife tried to get me to smoke up with her multiple times when we first met and I would never do it. I didn’t shun those that chose to live differently and my wife was even a cigarette smoker when we met, though, has since quit. I never tried to get anyone to stop because I was always angered when someone tried to get me to start. I’m still really into straight edge today and I’ve been living this way for over 21 or 22 years.

And that’s how it all started for me. I don’t mind answering questions about it when people ask. As long as they’re respectful and not passing judgement that I never snorted a line of junk. And you were very respectful. :)

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
It’s no problem, I don’t mind explaining when someone is respectful. Someone on another forum I cruise and post once said that he’d be alarmed if someone never tried marijuana. He also recommended that people snort coke once or twice and try every kind of food there is. Talk like that is one of the reasons I’ve abstained from drinking and drugging all these years. I actually like that it grinds gears of some. From a young age I never had much interest. I thought it was cool to shun it all in a world where shunning those things was completely not cool. When I was 13 I discovered the hardcore punk scene and bands like Minor Threat, Youth Of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Judge, SS Decontrol and stuff like that. Most were broken up before I got into them. A band called Floorpunch from NJ who were active and just coming up at the time. Mouthpiece was another NJ band. And I got into straight edge. I thought it was out of this world that these people were into this aggressive music and they sang about how they didn’t drink alcohol. It was a sharp contrast from listening to Alice In Chains and Layne Staley singing about shooting dope or seeing Slash with a cigarette dangling out his mouth in every shot.

I was also an outcast and the music was a lot more personal to me than whatever Krock was playing at the time in the middle 90’s. I still listened to plenty of punk bands that sang about sniffing glue and drinking beer and they were cool, too. I just loved that I discovered this straight edge thing. I would even draw X’s on my hands at school. That’s how into it I was. And in high school and through my early 20’s I would always be told I would grow out of it. Well, I stopped drawing X’s on my hands at school by 10th grade, save for when I attended a hardcore show sometimes. I was made to feel a fool about it hundreds, if not thousands of times. Even in my 30’s. My now-wife tried to get me to smoke up with her multiple times when we first met and I would never do it. I didn’t shun those that chose to live differently and my wife was even a cigarette smoker when we met, though, has since quit. I never tried to get anyone to stop because I was always angered when someone tried to get me to start. I’m still really into straight edge today and I’ve been living this way for over 21 or 22 years.

And that’s how it all started for me. I don’t mind answering questions about it when people ask. As long as they’re respectful and not passing judgement that I never snorted a line of junk. And you were very respectful. :)

I always loved the straight edge punks! They always found a way to have fun and rock out. One of my best friends growing up was one, and the stupid shit we used to do to entertain ourselves. Ah, memories.

Reactions: Cage Helmet

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Cool.

I grew up at the other end of the punk and hardcore spectrum but always enjoyed a good shelter show at the pony or coney island high. Earth crisis shows at birch hill could be a bit much though if you were getting hammered/smoking weed/whatever lol.

Thanks for the reply dude

Reactions: Cage Helmet

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Lol no way I'm off to utah and Arizona for 6 of those days lol I'm going hiking!

Smart man.

Funny story from before I had ever been to Vegas.

I was sent there for work and needed to be there 2 days for that. Since I'd never been there I decided to take a few days off, plus the weekend, and make it a week. When I told coworkers this it was as if you could have heard a pin drop. Something like, "you've never been to been to Vegas before, have you?" - which was true. I didnt get it. I've been there 3 times now, and I totally get it. Nice place to visit, for like 3 days, maybe 4 tops. Anything after that and it's trouble, lol.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Smart man.

Funny story from before I had ever been to Vegas.

I was sent there for work and needed to be there 2 days for that. Since I'd never been there I decided to take a few days off, plus the weekend, and make it a week. When I told coworkers this it was as if you could have heard a pin drop. Something like, "you've never been to been to Vegas before, have you?" - which was true. I didnt get it. I've been there 3 times now, and I totally get it. Nice place to visit, for like 3 days, maybe 4 tops. Anything after that and it's trouble, lol.

It's a 48 hour city for sure. Anything more than that and either you're a degenerate or are going to get in trouble lol

Reactions: NJDevs26

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It seems like it's inevitable that if you order a living thing online, the shipping is going to be delayed. The colder it is, the longer the delay...

9WDqA3Z.jpg

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The mystery of the"why" behind the Easter Island statues has apparently been solved.

Easter Island Statues May Have Marked Sources of Fresh Water | Smart News | Smithsonian

In my mind, however, this begins a new mystery. Couldn't they have found a far more simple solution?!?!?!

“ok, all in favor of marking the spot with a pile of pebbles? ....one, two, three, four...ok, four. and all in favor of the enormously heavy and completely unnecessary statues? one, two, five, ten, everyone else. ok, statues it is.”

“can the heads be cartoonishly disproportionate to the bodies?”

“i don’t see why not”

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
When is your Mexican Hairless Cat arriving?

Just some aquatic plants for the new tank.

I love this in the tracking history:

"Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility. "

Really? Well thanks for not just throwing it out! Like that statement is supposed to make me feel better in any way.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am going fishing tomorrow morning... I love trout fishing in January. It's like the whole stream is your own...and when you do see someone else, you tip your hat to the hearty SOB. :)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I am going fishing tomorrow morning... I love trout fishing in January. It's like the whole stream is your own...and when you do see someone else, you tip your hat to the hearty SOB. :)

When I tell people my favorite time to be in the stream is the middle of winter when it's snowing, they can't believe it. No more peaceful feeling will you experience than when you have an entire stream to yourself, and the only sound is the water moving through it.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
When I tell people my favorite time to be in the stream is the middle of winter when it's snowing, they can't believe it. No more peaceful feeling will you experience than when you have an entire stream to yourself, and the only sound is the water moving through it.
I like this a lot.

Once you've been hypnotized by the stream its allure is impossible to resist. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad