OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVI: Sitting in the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
OMG, after the Devils game tonight I watched the two-part AMZN South Park, and it's amazing.

The Jeff Bezos alien character is my favorite new South Park character since the Member Berries a few years back. This is like vintage 2000's South Park.

Reactions: tr83 and Davegarri

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
OMG, after the Devils game tonight I watched the two-part AMZN South Park, and it's amazing.

The Jeff Bezos alien character is my favorite new South Park character since the Member Berries a few years back. This is like vintage 2000's South Park.

This season has been awesome. They've done a great job

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Never mind. Wanted to edit the file size, since it was big and make it a thumbnail. I already deleted the screen shot off my phone.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
sqDw0Uj.jpg

Tank is coming together.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wow. That looks awfully good.

Thanks! I like the way this one is looking. I have to get a filter for my cell camera, though. LED lights always wash everything out with blue.

Tw10cTS.jpg

I used milk crates to hide some other stuff I couldn't fit under the stand. Auto-topoff reservoir, doser and dosing containers, etc.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Ain't that the truth. As a school employee this is the hardest one of the year. End of the school year is a close second.

I work in IT at a college. All students who waited until the last minute to write their final papers and professors who haven't bothered logging in to anything all semester. No Christmas spirit.

Reactions: Darkauron

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Same. We also are making them setup two factor authentication for our rollout and it is funny.

We did that like a year and a half ago. People are still confused (somehow) and upset. I know how you feel. Godspeed my friend.

What is the point of this? We just switched to it, and it's annoying.

It's really good and really easy security for your account. Let's put it this way:

Right now, you log in to a given site or service. That's it. Your only form of authentication is your username and password. ("Something you know").

Well, there's easy ways to steal that information. Not really even "hacking" or something similar. The biggest form is phishing - convincing users to give nefarious actors their credentials in plain text. It's easy to spot when you're looking for it, but when you log in to the same stuff everyday, eventually you stop paying attention to it - we're all guilty of this. So you see a site that looks similar enough to the one you use everyday and don't give it a second thought. You log in. Maybe you misspelled the URL by a letter or two, or someone posing as a known associate sends you a link that you click on. They now have your username and password. Game over, you're pwned.

Two factor authentication is an extra layer of authentication. We use an MFA provider to give people options when they log in. After entering their username/password ("Something you know"), now they have to answer a phone call to a previously registered number OR enter a passcode from a generator previously set up OR get a notification on their smartphone that they can accept/reject. ("Something you have")

To get around that, the phisher (which is pretty low-tech to begin with) would have to either physically possess the victim's phone (Unlikely) or figure out a way to duplicate/spoof their victim's phone number (Unlikely they even know it, even less likely they can pull this off).

You actually use two-factor authentication regularly in your non-digital life. Ever use an ATM? Something you have (A card) and something you know (Your PIN). Board a flight? Something you are (ID of some sort, passport) and something you have (Boarding pass).

Realistically the whole system is called "multi factor authentication" and is based on requiring at least two forms of the following before being granted access, with examples of each:

-Something you know (Password, PIN, Social Security Number)
-Something you have (Access card, phone, ticket)
-Something you are (Fingerprint, Face ID, Driver's License, Passport)
-Something you do (How you sound, how you walk - this one is still in the early stages of usefulness)
-Somewhere you are (Proximity-based access; like only being allowed in to systems when you're physically inside your work building or similar)

I use two-factor on every site that offers it. It's a much more secure way to use the internet, and it's only a little bit more work.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Facebook's new defense is a doozy.

In defending that they didn't violate user privacy agreements because they didn't "sell" user information, they say they "traded" user information instead to other tech giants, which isn't the same as "selling" it.

LULZ

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

In defending that they didn't violate user privacy agreements because they didn't "sell" user information, they say they "traded" user information instead to other tech giants, which isn't the same as "selling" it.

LULZ

That will never hold up.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Additional security. Helps prevent hacking, and stuff. Especially in bigger institutions one compromised email account that sends out spam to the rest of the users with phishing and infected attachments is a bad time.

It's a bad time because users are too stupid/gullible/ignorant to take some precaution before clicking that link. We try to impress upon the users if you're unsure of something, don't open it or click on the link and either contact the sender directly by phone or do nothing at all. If it's legit, the sender will eventually contact you again if they don't receive a response.

Reactions: Darkauron

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
We did that like a year and a half ago. People are still confused (somehow) and upset. I know how you feel. Godspeed my friend.

It's really good and really easy security for your account. Let's put it this way:

Right now, you log in to a given site or service. That's it. Your only form of authentication is your username and password. ("Something you know").

Well, there's easy ways to steal that information. Not really even "hacking" or something similar. The biggest form is phishing - convincing users to give nefarious actors their credentials in plain text. It's easy to spot when you're looking for it, but when you log in to the same stuff everyday, eventually you stop paying attention to it - we're all guilty of this. So you see a site that looks similar enough to the one you use everyday and don't give it a second thought. You log in. Maybe you misspelled the URL by a letter or two, or someone posing as a known associate sends you a link that you click on. They now have your username and password. Game over, you're pwned.

Two factor authentication is an extra layer of authentication. We use an MFA provider to give people options when they log in. After entering their username/password ("Something you know"), now they have to answer a phone call to a previously registered number OR enter a passcode from a generator previously set up OR get a notification on their smartphone that they can accept/reject. ("Something you have")

To get around that, the phisher (which is pretty low-tech to begin with) would have to either physically possess the victim's phone (Unlikely) or figure out a way to duplicate/spoof their victim's phone number (Unlikely they even know it, even less likely they can pull this off).

You actually use two-factor authentication regularly in your non-digital life. Ever use an ATM? Something you have (A card) and something you know (Your PIN). Board a flight? Something you are (ID of some sort, passport) and something you have (Boarding pass).

Realistically the whole system is called "multi factor authentication" and is based on requiring at least two forms of the following before being granted access, with examples of each:

-Something you know (Password, PIN, Social Security Number)
-Something you have (Access card, phone, ticket)
-Something you are (Fingerprint, Face ID, Driver's License, Passport)
-Something you do (How you sound, how you walk - this one is still in the early stages of usefulness)
-Somewhere you are (Proximity-based access; like only being allowed in to systems when you're physically inside your work building or similar)

I use two-factor on every site that offers it. It's a much more secure way to use the internet, and it's only a little bit more work.

Excellent post. Exactly what we have here. We also recommend a secondary option for being contacted to authenticate. We've had users lose their mobile device and can no longer receive e-mail because they're being prompted - on their mobile device (DOH!).

Reactions: None Shall Pass

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

LULZ

The world will be a better place when Facebook dies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Excellent post. Exactly what we have here. We also recommend a secondary option for being contacted to authenticate. We've had users lose their mobile device and can no longer receive e-mail because they're being prompted - on their mobile device (DOH!).

Same. That's the only part about the whole shebang that bothers me. ANOTHER system of ongoing support. At least it's super easy to support.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
anybody who still has a facebook account is an idiot

I've read FB has a bit of a problem in that young people arent adopting it at previous rates.

FB started with 18 to 22 year olds, and now that age group is more likely to use instagram, snapchat, or even twitter. That's a long-term growth problem if they cant change that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I like Instagram. For me it's like an outdoor store's "bragging board"....all the old shops I used to go to as a kid had a corkboard with fish and harvest photos. Instagram is like the ultimate bragging board.

The adds bother me a bit but they are usually related pretty close to my interest so I guess that's not so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille