OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVI: Sitting in the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I thought that little pipe was your leg for a stupid hot minute and was wondering:

1) what stupid pants you were wearing
2) those ugly ass boots
3) WTF is wrong with your leg.

My garage is in a state of semi-organized chaos at the moment, so random plumbing parts in pictures is normal :)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If the gold mineral has 'crystals' - specifically dodecahedron crystals, it is pyrite. Fool's gold... sorry. :) it would also be harder than gold which is pretty soft.

Oh, I'm more than certain it's not gold and am really not interested other than to know

1. Is it safe to put in a fish tank and
2. Will it change the water chemistry at all

To know that, I need to know what it is.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Any amateur geologists out there? Trying to identify this rock:

C13udPO.jpg

IAZseT9.jpg
I think its name is Geoff.

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Any amateur geologists out there? Trying to identify this rock:

C13udPO.jpg

IAZseT9.jpg

BG is on the right track. This looks like pegmatite (type of granite) or another igneous rock. Looks very similar to the Painted Wall at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in Colorado. The wall of the cliff is made of pegmatite with deposits of quartz, feldspar, and mica.

Really underrated national park, definitely worth the visit! Here is a photo of the Painted Wall.
9QOyYM5

Edit: HF is being a POS and won't let me insert photos....

Here is the link:

Edit 2: Guess that works good enough.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
BG is on the right track. This looks like pegmatite (type of granite) or another igneous rock. Looks very similar to the Painted Wall at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in Colorado. The wall of the cliff is made of pegmatite with deposits of quartz, feldspar, and mica.

Really underrated national park, definitely worth the visit! Here is a photo of the Painted Wall.
9QOyYM5

Here is the link:

beautiful. thanks for the pic.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

9QOyYM5

Here is the link:

Gunnison is one of my most memorable fishing trips of all time.

We hiked two miles into the gorge with rafts, all our equipment and floated the Black Canyon for 3 full days. There is one section they called "The Hall of the River Kings". The river is probably only 20 yards wide and the river's edge goes right up to 200 ft cayon walls that sort or of look like a series of statues...it was amazing. In 3 days I caught and released almost 200 fish.

That was the first week of June 2008
My mom died in April of 2008 and my wife and I just took off and drove around Colorado fishing. I hope to do that again some day.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Gunnison is one of my most memorable fishing trips of all time.

We hiked two miles into the gorge with rafts, all our equipment and floated the Black Canyon for 3 full days.

I imagine that's the sort of thing where the fish have probably never seen a hook. Sounds awesome.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I imagine that's the sort of thing where the fish have probably never seen a hook. Sounds awesome.
Yeah. It was awesome but the awesome part was we hit the salmon fly hatch almost perfectly. If you look up Salmon Flies they are a giant stone fly 2 tot3 inches long...when they get going there are thousands of them crawling all over you, in your shirt and up your shorts lol... That inside tight canyon walls is a sight to behold.

When the hatch happens trout feed with reckless abandon even the biggest fish that might not otherwise bother with bugs are up on the surface feeding.

Timing that hatch is difficult as the hatch moves up river in stages...you can literally be one mile in the wrong place on the same day and not have the same fishing as someone else in the right area. So I was lucky enough to have experienced the hieght of the hatch in the canyon walls... I like to think my mom had something to do with it ;)

Reactions: BenedictGomez

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm kinda depressed...they stopped using urinal cakes in bathroom at work and replaced them with pads.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I love trying to break urinal cakes. Its like one of the only reasons I look forward to going to work.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm kinda depressed...they stopped using urinal cakes in bathroom at work and replaced them with pads.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I love trying to break urinal cakes. Its like one of the only reasons I look forward to going to work.
You mean urinal PUCKS.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No my dad is, old Korean War vet, I try to take him there whenever I can. I love hanging out and talking to those guys.
Well thank him for his service for me. :)

When I was a kid I worked sweeping floors and getting drinks at the Riverside Vets in Paterson. Only did it about dozen times but I loved being around those guys.

Reactions: JK3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->