OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVI: Sitting in the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
my favorite chicken of the 5 i have died today….something was wrong with her it seemed…….not fun as she was the nicest one……buried wrapped in an old t-shirt

and sorry jim @Aethon i know a while back i mentioned i would send you the cape to tie some flies if a chicken died but i just didnt have the heart to pluck her after she had already lost feathers in a foxing a couple months a go and hadnt grown them back yet.

Sorry to hear about your chicken, man.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Question: what is the best way to tell that a jersey on eBay isn't a knock off? I am seeing Adidas Hall and Nico jerseys for $75 and while they have tags with prices it just sends up a gigantic red flag that the jerseys are knock offs. I saw a Reebok edge jersey for $30 I could take to the NHL Shop and have turned into a Hall jersey and that would be awesome.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Question: what is the best way to tell that a jersey on eBay isn't a knock off? I am seeing Adidas Hall and Nico jerseys for $75 and while they have tags with prices it just sends up a gigantic red flag that the jerseys are knock offs. I saw a Reebok edge jersey for $30 I could take to the NHL Shop and have turned into a Hall jersey and that would be awesome.

There's many signs, for me, in the logo on the front, the alignment of the Adidas logo in the back, how far down the chest and back the shoulder yokes come, the quality of the seams, etc.

There were some Lightning BEAUTIES in attendance last night. So much so that I could tell which jerseys in the lower bowl were fake from my seat in the second row of the balcony. (Not that we don't have fans who wear fakes, too.)

It's one of those things where you can just, idk, tell.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There's many signs, for me, in the logo on the front, the alignment of the Adidas logo in the back, how far down the chest and back the shoulder yokes come, the quality of the seams, etc.

There were some Lightning BEAUTIES in attendance last night. So much so that I could tell which jerseys in the lower bowl were fake from my seat in the second row of the balcony. (Not that we don't have fans who wear fakes, too.)

It's one of those things where you can just, idk, tell.
I still want to kick myself for not pouncing on either the Hall or Nico jerseys on Fanatics for $100 a few days ago.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
hockey in the TaN...

tenor.gif

(OT: - All Jersey Talk (Game Worn, Replica, Authentic, etc.) Part VI)

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Sending to a government agency?

Yeah, I'm sure. I was going for more of an existential rant, though. :laugh:

The government and hospitals are the last people to adopt new tech, which makes total sense - you need reliable, known methods in those industries. I get it. I just don't like it! I can take pictures of ten pages and text them to someone faster than I can fax them two pages.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The government and hospitals are the last people to adopt new tech, which makes total sense - you need reliable, known methods in those industries. I get it. I just don't like it!

Correct answer, but wrong reasons.

General incompetence & a non-accountability & non-results driven environment for the former, and the lackadaisical non-profit environment for the latter.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

General incompetence & a non-accountability & non-results driven environment for the former, and the lackadaisical non-profit environment for the latter.
Not totally.

Records retention and compliance are mandated by law. I not only have to comply with the Federal government for the systems I support but the EU as well as laws in Asia-Pacific and Latin America. I have a 32 page PDF on my machine right now about what constitutes a "Signature".

You sart dealing with Government Agencies and Quasi government agencies the documentation required to meet anti corruption/bribery, privacy and various other statutory regulations is truly mind boggling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrik26

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I mean do you want your herpes diagnosis text to the doctors personally phone? Probably not?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

Nah, the university I work for has a hospital. In that environment you want things that are proven to work (or else people die), so they tend to use older tech and older OSes (I still see Windows XP occasionally) that are extremely well-known and have tons of knowledge behind them if they fail. They don't upgrade all that often because medical tech is VERY expensive and they need to make sure that all the stuff that they're using is HIPAA/HITECH compliant. There's a lot of various equipments that are only certified to work with some OSes, and you need that to get vendor support for them. You can make a career just doing tech compliance for one physical hospital. It's an insane tech environment and among the most difficult to support. Lackadaisical is the last word to describe it.

I mean do you want your herpes diagnosis text to the doctors personally phone? Probably not?

Don't be obtuse; all I'm saying is that there's faster and better tech to do the same job better.

I use fax all the time in my job. Attorneys love them.

Lawyers do love fax, and I'm guessing it's for some legal reason.

I pray I so not have to help with a fax machine. Printers are already so ****ty to support.. Fax machines should all disappear

Don't even get me started on printers. At least I understand why people use printers so often.

Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Nah, the university I work for has a hospital. In that environment you want things that are proven to work (or else people die), so they tend to use older tech and older OSes (I still see Windows XP occasionally) that are extremely well-known and have tons of knowledge behind them if they fail. They don't upgrade all that often because medical tech is VERY expensive and they need to make sure that all the stuff that they're using is HIPAA/HITECH compliant. There's a lot of various equipments that are only certified to work with some OSes, and you need that to get vendor support for them. You can make a career just doing tech compliance for one physical hospital. It's an insane tech environment and among the most difficult to support. Lackadaisical is the last word to describe it.

Don't be obtuse; all I'm saying is that there's faster and better tech to do the same job better.

Lawyers do love fax, and I'm guessing it's for some legal reason.

Don't even get me started on printers. At least I understand why people use printers so often.

Yeah I work for a university doing IT too. I had a guy the other day confused why his printer wasn't working.. Come to find out he was using an 18 year old printer with a parallel cable. Yeah buddy I don't think that is going to work in your new desktop.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You sart dealing with Government Agencies and Quasi government agencies the documentation required to meet anti corruption/bribery, privacy and various other statutory regulations is truly mind boggling.

And incredibly expensive, and 95% uselessly extraneous, other than giving government employees a job, and the government a way to "fine" you for being late or non-compliant with their "truly mind-boggloing" excessive "documentation".

Oh, how I wish they were held to their own standards and punishments.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah I work for a university doing IT too. I had a guy the other day confused why his printer wasn't working.. Come to find out he was using an 18 year old printer with a parallel cable. Yeah buddy I don't think that is going to work in your new desktop.

I have a box of various cables at home and I was going through it a month ago, just to clean it out, and saw a parallel cable in there. My immediate instinct, like with all cables, was to hold onto it just because (This has saved me before). Then I was like, when's the last time you've personally even SEEN another parallel cable?

But I kept it anyway.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I have a box of various cables at home and I was going through it a month ago, just to clean it out, and saw a parallel cable in there. My immediate instinct, like with all cables, was to hold onto it just because (This has saved me before). Then I was like, when's the last time you've personally even SEEN another parallel cable?

But I kept it anyway.

i too have a box of various cables just in case…

…on a similar note…..one of the great finds i got once at a value village thrift shop was a full sized yamaha keyboard for 6 bucks, one of the ones with 100 different sound banks …….reason it was so cheap is it had no cable.

so, i go to the other side of the store and search through the wall of cables in little plastic bags for 2 bucks a piece and finally found one that was compatible.

walked down the aisle to pay and leave there was a guy who saw me carrying it and was like, "damn……i wanted that keyboard but it had no cable"

…told him there's a shit ton right over there on the wall if you know what youre doing

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I still use a parallel cable to connect my work laptop to my desktop so I can display the laptop screen on the much bigger desktop screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille