OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Dude I have a dog, and I love him to death, but he is about as threatening to me as a toddler. Even less so, because toddlers are not scared of windows being closed, unlike my very wonderful dog.
My dog weighs 22 pounds, can jump 6 feet high, and could absolutely rip my throat out if he wanted. I live in fear.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
My dog weighs 22 pounds, can jump 6 feet high, and could absolutely rip my throat out if he wanted. I live in fear.

I have a shih tzu with a leg deformity. Little guy can't even jump onto the couch and is scared of our (smaller) cat. I'm more scared of that cat, to be honest. She's a ninja.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I read his book Kitchen Confidential a few years ago and absolutely loved it. This of course after watching almost all of the episodes from No Reservations and his current program on CNN. I’m halfway through his follow up book Medium Raw, so needless to say I’m a big fan. Interestingly though many people call him a “celebrity chef”, but he wasn’t a great chef at all. He eventually ran a decent kitchen in Manhattan but spent most of his life as a chef in crappy restaurants that closed. He was however an amazing storyteller and could connect with people in conversation on such a deep level. That’s how he rose to fame.

In Kitchen Confidential he talks about his heavy drug use in his earlier days. Quite remarkable how he was able to function in a high-paced kitchen on all that stuff. At one point he was selling his collection of first edition books out in the streets of NYC in order to buy heroin. He talks about that being rock bottom and his wake up call, though you know from his shows he still drank and smoked a lot. He seemed to talk about it like he had moved beyond his addiction, but I’ve always wondered if he ever really moved beyond it (does anyone?). He does mention having suicidal thoughts in Medium Raw around the mid-2000s, and nearly driving his car off a cliff on a daily basis..

Anyway, it’s an absolute shame to lose a guy who impacted so many people. I really hope Eric Ripert is alright because he’s obviously one of the greatest chefs in the world. Eric had become more involved in Anthony’s work so it would be great if he could continue it and tell the stories of people around the world.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I used to love No Reservations, and I'm someone who doesnt watch much TV. Wasnt a fan of the reboot on CNN, as CNN really PC'd it up and lasso'd Bourdain-in. I cant say I'm terribly shocked in this case though, you watch him enough on TV, and it was pretty palpable he just didnt seem like a very happy individual somehow. Very sad. R.I.P.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I regret not appreciating his ideology as much as I probably should have through his shows until I've been reading into them more thoroughly today after hearing about his passing. I plan on really getting into No Reservations and whatever I can find to enjoy what seemed like a genuinely fascinating and thought provoking character.

I am the biggest sap and sentimental person that I can think of, and it's moments like this that truly make me appreciate the people I have around me. Life's too short as it is, you have to let the people you love know you care for them.

Reactions: Colin226

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
was coming here to post about bourdain's death and i find it somewhat comforting that there is already a discussion about it…..

loved his show and personality.

im not the most stable person mentally so this saddens me.

and of course i love cooking, smoking meats, canning…..all things involving food and making booze too

sad news it is

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
i would go out on a limb and say, as of 2018, he might have been television’s single most authentic personality.

you really felt like what you saw is what you got with him. truly an individual who you felt like you could identify with, he might be the most captivating storyteller on the human condition we had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
i would go out on a limb and say, as of 2018, he might have been television’s single most authentic personality.

you really felt like what you saw is what you got with him. truly an individual who you felt like you could identify with, he might be the most capitvating storyteller on the human condition we had.

Sums up my feelings really well. He was such an interesting person and speaker..could turn a mundane story interesting.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
you really felt like what you saw is what you got with him. truly an individual who you felt like you could identify with, he might be the most capitvating storyteller on the human condition we had.

His restaurant (Les Halles) was like that too. I used to go there back when I lived in Manhattan and I was into No Reservations. Very laid-back for a respected restaurant, chalkboards, waiters wore jeans, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad