OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
i think i would like to display my licence plate 'upside down' (turned 180 degrees)….was reading the ontario highway traffic act and cant find anywhere it states the required orientation of the plate just a bunch of talk on clearly visible, unaltered…etc

when renewing the plate sticker the paper its attached to shows a picture stating sticker on top right of plate but this is not in the actual act….even so the sticker would be in the same place as it is the picture

precedent would be the motorcycles we've seen with sideways plates.

….although my 98 tercel with cracked windscreen and no e-brake doesnt need the heat on it

maybe next car

-----

and eddy, from last thread….bleed is in tampa area

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i think i would like to display my licence plate 'upside down' (turned 180 degrees)….was reading the ontario highway traffic act and cant find anywhere it states the required orientation of the plate just a bunch of talk on clearly visible, unaltered…etc

when renewing the plate sticker the paper its attached to shows a picture stating sticker on top right of plate but this is not in the actual act….even so the sticker would be in the same place as it is the picture

precedent would be the motorcycles we've seen with sideways plates.

….although my 98 tercel with cracked windscreen and no e-brake doesnt need the heat on it

maybe next car

-----

and eddy, from last thread….bleed is in tampa area

Government isn't allowed to ask about orientation.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Was back up in VT a few weeks ago for a wedding and picked up some of these:

shed-12oz-MountainIPA-detail.png

Really fantastic and non-famous IPA, I get it whenever I'm up there. Similar in taste/quality to Dogfish Head 60 Minutes I'd say. A lot of the VT microbrews have become absurdly overrated (Heady Topper, etc..), but not this one.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's.......a really poor decision if true. Deaths will likely occur. I'm not buying that figure though.

Yeah that seems really high. It does seem like a decent chunk of people do think they can ride it out.

The people in the Keys are kind of nuts too.

Their is a metrologist who has parents refusing to leave, and he was on TV basically begging them to reconsider.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So, as an addendum to my last post in the last TAN about the media and politicians whipping people into a fury about this storm, we have this....

NOT AN 'THE ONION' HEADLINE...........

Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe declares state of emergency in Virginia ahead of Hurricane Irma.

http://wtvr.com/2017/09/08/hurricane-irma-virginia-state-of-emergency/

^ No, really. That actually happened today!

I believe doing this frees up the red tape in deploying emergency services and paying for it too.

They aren't expecting anything crazy, but want to be ready to fix massive power outages or localized flash flooding issues from excessive rainfall.

If people are trying to create panic that for up, that is silly.

People asking the residents of Florida to take this extremely seriously isn't overblown. This is almost definitely the first Cat 5 to hit the lower 48 in a long while.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I believe doing this frees up the red tape in deploying emergency services and paying for it too.

Still seems beyond crazy to me even if that's partially or totally true.

I have a FB page mostly dedicated to meteorology (dont judge me), and a well-known VA met posted this a little while ago mocking the situation, which encapsulated it perfectly.

I'm going to experience the most Pleasant state of emergencies in the history of the country.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So today was the last day at work for our shipping supervisor. He is retiring (I guess is now officially retired) and moving to Florida where he recently purchased a house. His wife is living there now, and he has been planning on going there this weekend for weeks. Well, he still plans to go. I think he is flying out late tonight/early tomorrow morning and landing in Jacksonville. I believe his house is an hour or two west of there. Seems crazy to me. In his position, I'd cancel the flight and tell the wife to fly back here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So today was the last day at work for our shipping supervisor. He is retiring (I guess is now officially retired) and moving to Florida where he recently purchased a house. His wife is living there now, and he has been planning on going there this weekend for weeks. Well, he still plans to go. I think he is flying out late tonight/early tomorrow morning and landing in Jacksonville. I believe his house is an hour or two west of there. Seems crazy to me. In his position, I'd cancel the flight and tell the wife to fly back here.

It shouldn't be apocalyptic bad by him, but it is still going to be very nasty. A **** ton of rain and tropical storm level winds.

The potential for days without power seems like a good enough reason not to go there if that was me.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Still seems beyond crazy to me even if that's partially or totally true.

I have a FB page mostly dedicated to meteorology (dont judge me), and a well-known VA met posted this a little while ago mocking the situation, which encapsulated it perfectly.

It reminds me of how trigger happy Nj and Ny can get with states of emergencies with snow storms.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm in Seminole, which is kinda southwest of Clearwater, northwest of St Pete by just a few miles, 25 miles west of Tampa. I'm only a couple of miles from the Gulf, but I'm not really in a flood zone. I'm actually about 20-30 feet above sea level. Right behind my backyard is a baseball field, which is not level with me. I'm on somewhat of an incline to it. Hopefully if it starts flooding, it will run off into the field.

My friend is in Treasure Island and at sea level. I'm giving him a hand boarding up right now. He even has a boat, which is too big to put in his garage. He's already put his personal watercraft in the garage. We're more worried about his house than mine. As much as I don't want to discuss it with him, I'm already prepared to have the 6 of them at my house for as long as they need to. I don't think his house is gonna get blown away, but it could take in some water. The street he lives on looks a little like a few of those blocks in Mantoloking/Toms River, over by the Barnegat, which got tore up during Sandy. It's like a little island. If you were to look at Treasure Island on google maps satellite, you'd see what I'm talking about. There's a lot of little streets/communities on the Boca Ciega Bay. I'm in probably the best part of my town, as far as protection from water goes. I have a few little lakes in town close to me, but also far enough that they won't be a problem for my neighborhood.

I work at a little hotel on the Gulf, it's been there since the 50's, so hopefully I have a job to go back to.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So today was the last day at work for our shipping supervisor. He is retiring (I guess is now officially retired) and moving to Florida where he recently purchased a house.

The better half's parents are building a home in SW Florida as we speak! Thank God it's now done. Concrete everything is finished, and unfortunately they finished the roof, so worst-case-scenario their only total loss might be the roof.

It reminds me of how trigger happy Nj and Ny can get with states of emergencies with snow storms.

YES!!!!!

I'm in Seminole, which is kinda southwest of Clearwater, northwest of St Pete by just a few miles, 25 miles west of Tampa. I'm only a couple of miles from the Gulf, but I'm not really in a flood zone. I'm actually about 20-30 feet above sea level.

Wow, you're lucky. Good to hear. The folks around you at < 8 feet might get a rude awakening.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm in Seminole, which is kinda southwest of Clearwater, northwest of St Pete by just a few miles, 25 miles west of Tampa. I'm only a couple of miles from the Gulf, but I'm not really in a flood zone. I'm actually about 20-30 feet above sea level. Right behind my backyard is a baseball field, which is not level with me. I'm on somewhat of an incline to it. Hopefully if it starts flooding, it will run off into the field.

My friend is in Treasure Island and at sea level. I'm giving him a hand boarding up right now. He even has a boat, which is too big to put in his garage. He's already put his personal watercraft in the garage. We're more worried about his house than mine. As much as I don't want to discuss it with him, I'm already prepared to have the 6 of them at my house for as long as they need to. I don't think his house is gonna get blown away, but it could take in some water. The street he lives on looks a little like a few of those blocks in Mantoloking/Toms River, over by the Barnegat, which got tore up during Sandy. It's like a little island. If you were to look at Treasure Island on google maps satellite, you'd see what I'm talking about. There's a lot of little streets/communities on the Boca Ciega Bay. I'm in probably the best part of my town, as far as protection from water goes. I have a few little lakes in town close to me, but also far enough that they won't be a problem for my neighborhood.

I work at a little hotel on the Gulf, it's been there since the 50's, so hopefully I have a job to go back to.

I would definitely be ready for power outages and downed debris.

Your friends house might be in a rough spot with the storm surge, how rough depends on the storm's final track.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I'm looking at helicopter photography of Saint Martin, I was there in 2000. Just a beautiful place with happy-go-lucky, fun, islanders.

Honest to god, the pictures remind me of WWII pictures of Stalingrad.

Sint Marten (2017)

RAW_VIDEO__St__Martin_aerials_of_damage__0_9085343_ver1.0_320_180.jpg

Stalingrad (WWII)
e38a289b726b97509f5924449a5c04f7--the-building-tractors.jpg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I'm looking at helicopter photography of Saint Martin, I was there in 2000. Just a beautiful place with happy-go-lucky, fun, islanders.

Honest to god, the pictures remind me of WWII pictures of Stalingrad.

Sint Marten (2017)

RAW_VIDEO__St__Martin_aerials_of_damage__0_9085343_ver1.0_320_180.jpg

Stalingrad (WWII)
e38a289b726b97509f5924449a5c04f7--the-building-tractors.jpg

And they got Jose on its way now. ****ing terrible.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
CNN again interviewing people in the Keys who say they're staying, even at sea level with a predicted 8' to 11' storm surge.

I refuse to be "taken", and I almost have to believe these people are either "plants" (hey CNN has been recently caught doing this exact "fake" journalism a few months back) or are full of crap and BS'ing just to get on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad