OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
That can block in-video ads? These arent pop-ups, it's as if an advertisement was spliced into the video you were watching.

I'm assuming so. I mean, I haven't seen any!

The thing is that Youtube isn't uploading the ads into the actual video - they're just streaming them into the video, so a good ad-blocker should be able to block the server/address the ad is coming from.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
so, my fathers funeral was today….an incredible amount of people showed up despite the horrible weather, was great to see

its been a crazy 5 days.

now i can sit back and relax and reflect on all that has happened over the last while and move forward with some much needed time for myself

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What's crazier is that it wasn't seen until it was right on top of us.

Doesnt shock me in the least, as a species we're not as technologically advanced as we like to think we are.

The world is one dino-killer sized asteroid away from being turned into Game of Thrones, minus the supernatural. Luckily that's a once every millions of years event.

Reactions: tr83

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
After a cold March, this April is shaping up to be the coldest April in over 50 years.

I want to do some "spring skiing" in shorts and a tee-shirt, but it snowed in Vermont again this weekend. There's enough coverage up there that people are still skiing in the woods in northern Vermont. The long-range outlook for the beginning of May is predicted to be below-normal too, makes you wonder if we'll even get a "Spring" in 2018. This has been the Never-Ending Winter.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Trying YouTube.tv free trial.

I mean it works. I am sitting here watching the Vegas game on it

Weird they YES and SNY as local channels but not MSG. Even have the stupid Golf channel.

Apparently Direct TV now has MSG. Good to know for next season, but not wasting this YouTube free trial just for that.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What's crazier is that it wasn't seen until it was right on top of us.

Because it really wasn’t that big as far as space rocks go.

These things aren’t very bright, are small all things considered (this was football field sized), and going millions of miles a hour.

It is important to remember that space rocks pass by the earth every day harmlessly.

We do need to invest more in tracking systems. Very little money is actually spent in tracking Near Earth Objects, and if world governments cared a bit more we could be way more prepared in case of the worst.

This would be a regional event not a global one. I really doubt we would miss a Dino-killer with our current tech, and if we caught it early we could in theory nudge it out of the way.

Smaller city killers are much harder to track and do anything about.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Apparently Direct TV now has MSG.

I've had DirectTV for almost 3 years, and it's always been there so it's been a while. As for streaming, for $30

According to the article, it was the largest close-passing asteroid in over 100 years. I mean, I realize that doesn't mean it's "big", but for a near miss it is. Could have caused a Tsunami or affected the weather wherever it hit for a few months.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've had DirectTV for almost 3 years, and it's always been there so it's been a while. As for streaming, for $30

According to the article, it was the largest close-passing asteroid in over 100 years. I mean, I realize that doesn't mean it's "big", but for a near miss it is. Could have caused a Tsunami or affected the weather wherever it hit for a few months.

It definitely could have leveled a city, but not a whole lot more. It was as big as the Tunguska event. That leveled a forest, but didn’t cause any real global effects.

This shows we can do a lot better in tracking NEOs since good sized rocks can still sneak up on us.

Time is the biggest enemy with these that could become threats. Catch them years out and there are some surprisingly low tech solutions. Let one sneak up on us like this one did and there is literally nothing we can do. You are basically just praying it isn’t too big and isn’t aimed at a populated area.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

These things aren’t very bright, are small all things considered (this was football field sized), and going millions of miles a hour.

It is important to remember that space rocks pass by the earth every day harmlessly.

We do need to invest more in tracking systems. Very little money is actually spent in tracking Near Earth Objects, and if world governments cared a bit more we could be way more prepared in case of the worst.

This would be a regional event not a global one. I really doubt we would miss a Dino-killer with our current tech, and if we caught it early we could in theory nudge it out of the way.

Smaller city killers are much harder to track and do anything about.

Definitely true.

The composition of the asteroid is very important. Those made of rock will most likely burn up in the atmosphere. If unlucky, perhaps explode like the one did over Siberia in 1908 and flatten an entire city. But the odds of it hitting a populated area are rather small. That's the good part.

Ones that are composed of metal will not burn up in the atmosphere and not only destroy a city, but kick up a ton of dust which could impact the weather for months or even years. If it hits an ocean, it will destroy civilization on the coast that borders the ocean being impacted. Sandy and Katrina would look like nothing in comparison

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Ones that are composed of metal will not burn up in the atmosphere and not only destroy a city, but kick up a ton of dust which could impact the weather for months or even years.

On the bright side, I'd be skiing in July without having to leave this hemisphere. :yo:

Near miss? It is a shame it did not hit us and wipe us all out. I for one relish such an event.

Well that's freaking dark. Someone's having a rough hump-day.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
so, my fathers funeral was today….an incredible amount of people showed up despite the horrible weather, was great to see

its been a crazy 5 days.

now i can sit back and relax and reflect on all that has happened over the last while and move forward with some much needed time for myself
Sorry for your loss. NJDevils1982 Not sure of your situation but I know from experience it is one of the most draining things to go through.

Reactions: njdevils1982
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad