OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
anyone here ever (or know anyone who) drive for uber/lyft? very very seriously considering quitting my job and doing that full time, office 9-5's ain't fo me no mo

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
anyone here ever (or know anyone who) drive for uber/lyft? very very seriously considering quitting my job and doing that full time, office 9-5's ain't fo me no mo

My one friend does it full time out of necessity and absolutely hates it so much. Stuck in a car and driving all day, dealing with random people all day, a ton of wear and tear on his car, and pay being kinda meh.

Reactions: tr83

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
My one friend does it full time out of necessity and absolutely hates it so much. Stuck in a car and driving all day, dealing with random people all day, a ton of wear and tear on his car, and pay being kinda meh.

interesting, thanks! do you know if it was uber or lyft? i was leaning towards lyft, and saw they averaged about $17/hour, but i would assume that's based on location

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
interesting, thanks! do you know if it was uber or lyft? i was leaning towards lyft, and saw they averaged about $17/hour, but i would assume that's based on location

He worked for Uber I am pretty sure. And brought in less than like 30k a year doing working like 10 hours a day/6 days a week in the philly area. Can be pretty rough

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Anyone interested in asteroidal impacts and the like check out some Randal Carlson videos on YT, really interesting and scary stuff. Not sure how much money we sink into looking for these things but we'd have to know pretty far in advance to do anything about it other than evacuate the coast or whatever area it hits.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

I think you can do both can't you?

I never knew anyone that did it full time, but a buddy in college did it at night to make extra bucks. If you want to do it full time you need to hang out by airports, cities, etc. I think western cities build so stretched out would be your best bet.

When I was in Phoenix the uber/lyft drivers said they all made decent money

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think you can do both can't you?

I never knew anyone that did it full time, but a buddy in college did it at night to make extra bucks. If you want to do it full time you need to hang out by airports, cities, etc. I think western cities build so stretched out would be your best bet.

When I was in Phoenix the uber/lyft drivers said they all made decent money

nice thanks! since i'm in a relatively small town in the south (but 5 minutes from an airport and 20 minutes from urban areas) i think i may wind up doing both uber and lyft to maximize my availability.

the only thing that scares me is having to pay for health insurance. why jobs/companies are responsible for healthcare is beyond me...makes no sense

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
@Aethon

I'm sick and tired of buying a cheap pair of $40 WMT waders every 4 years, which inevitably spring a leak. What are good brands I should look to for something better quality to last?

EDIT: Keep in mind I dont want to spend $400 on waders either. Middle ground's what I'm hopefully after.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
@Aethon

I'm sick and tired of buying a cheap pair of $40 WMT waders every 4 years, which inevitably spring a leak. What are good brands I should look to for something better quality to last?

EDIT: Keep in mind I dont want to spend $400 on waders either. Middle ground's what I'm hopefully after.
Simms are the best and there is nothing close. Although I have heard Orvis is getting better, still I trust Simms, made in Bozeman Montana and always high quality. Simms most inexpensive model is about $250 for stocking foot waders. Stocking foot means you'll have to add a pair of boots so you will probably come in at 350/400.

Stocking foot are nice because you can choose the boots and more importantly the bottoms that best fit your needs. Also when it warms up you ditch the wadders get a pair of neoprene socks and use the boots to wet wade and still have good bottoms to prevent slip and make wading easier.

My wife has a pair of Simms that are 16 years old and still good. They have had a couple of repairs for leaks during that time. Simms are easy to repair. Turn them inside out, spray with rubbing alcohol and leak turns a blackish color. Throw on a patch and they're fixed.

I love that company, I love that they continue to make their product right here in the US, I love that you can call them and get solid customer service and I love that everyone that works for them are actually fishermen. I wouldn't buy anything else personally.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh one thing about wading...when I was kid a good friend of our family taught me to trout fish. My dad wasn't much of a fisherman, he would go occasionally because I liked it, but he was/is an Archer and nothing else. My dad sees most hobbies as a distraction from archery....
So Al, that was his name, took me fishing every weekend and taght me everything. We fished dark to dark from April through September. We drive giant loops from New Jersey to PA to New York and hit every piece of water along the way.

Now to my point, Al NEVER wore waders. He only wore hip boots. One time I asked him why and went off on a log diatribe. Seemed it was a sore spot. He started with "ever notice every f***ing idiot with waders is standing in the best holes"....that's how Al talked to a 9/10 year old me. He went on, "the average stream we fish is 2&1/2 feet deep if you are up to your balls you stepping on fish. If you need to cross the stream, walk your fat ass down to a shallow spot and cross but don't step on fish".

So Al thought waders made people wade where they shouldn't, he always used to point out when people were standing where they should be fishing...he would say things like "bought these waders gotta use them"

So maybe hip boots might be all you need ;)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Can't wear hip boots and shimmy on your knees under overhangs in little Pocono streams that are either very high gradient or completely overgrown on both banks with mountain laurel and not get wet. Just sayin :) I get his sentiment though. So many people can't read a stream worth a damn. They trudge right through perfect areas without even realizing it. It always amazes me that about 90% of the people I fish with (which is only a few because I'd almost always rather fish by myself) have to be told where to cast, or how to approach. I don't know if reading a stream is just an innate ability or what, but it seems so obvious to me, yet so difficult for many to grasp.

Anyway, first golf round of the year was a couple weeks ago. I shot a respectable (to me) 87. Next round I was in the upper 90's. Yesterday I shot an 83. The bad news is my next round will probably be over 100. The good news is that the round after that should be in the 70's :laugh:

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Reading water is the single most important fishing skill in my opinion.

Here is my thought...most of it can be taught but there is a percentage that is just innate. Some people just can't seem to think/see multi dimensionally. I think some people just see different types of water and that's it...they never get to the underwater dimension. The see a rifle and don't understand that there is a pocket behind a rock or the two different currents mean a slot that a fish would most likely be stationed in....or the back eddy that creates an undercut bank making a perfect ambush spot for a big ugly hook jawed brown :) . I think it takes some innate abilities to visualize the contour of the stream based on the water and its flow, most people never can get past what they see.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So maybe hip boots might be all you need ;)

I call everything waders (I guess incorrectly), but it is hip boots what I want. The chest waders I do have I rarely ever use since I don't get submerged enough, and then I find they wind up being hot out of water. The only time I really used them was when I lived in Vermont and fished some deep rivers like the Winooski, but that's 200 - 300 foot across in places and gets deep in spots. I never do that kind of fishing here.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So 9 people dead and 16 injured in another cowardly ******* behind the wheel of a rented van.

Looks like it's a copy-cat killer of another guy who mowed down people with a vehicle in CA back in 2014.

The media needs to STOP glamorizing these killers, whether it be bombers, shooters, or car/truck killers. These losers in life see they can get more attention that Tom Cruise or Mike Tyson with their death by suicide and it's increasing the copy-cat phenomena.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad