The "Tanking" And/Or Other Roster Moves Discussion Thread

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Almost 20 games into the season, here is my personal outlook on the roster at hand and how they're performing.

F
Anderson: Pretty disappointed in Andy so far this year. I think he's still playing hurt, because the aggressive powerforward of last year doesn't look like the same guy I see this year. His lack of offensive production isn't due to lack of effort, the guy is shooting from everywhere, but I'm not sure if his offensive numbers the past few years were boosted by the team around him. He might be on a Boone Jenner path of excellent 3rd liner with some offensive punch. Which isn't a bad thing. I do think he is playing injured though.

Atkinson: Probably the biggest disappointment on the team. It isn't just due to the lack of production, but the pesty Cam Atkinson of 3 years ago seems to be a distant memory. He isn't as involved defensively, and appears to be cheating offensively. Our PP struggles hit him hard because he's our best scorer, yet only has two PPG. He is in a big time funk, not only on the scoresheet, but in general with his play. Although I will say he has begun to look better in recent games, but his luck still hasn't. We all know Cam though, he'll get one goal and he'll get hot again. Very streaky player. I'm not worried about him, but he is frustrating to watch sometimes.

Bemstrom: Completely overwhelmed to start the season, benched in games where he was a non factor, but there has been a spark into his game recently after he scored his first career goal. Riding a 3 game point streak, Bemstrom might finally be settling in to a full time NHL role. And boy, do they need it. However, the coach still doesn't trust him, and the failures of the PP (a huge reason he made the team out of camp) lies a bit on his shoulders. Still, there's certainly time for him to turn the season around, but he's got to earn the trust from the coach, even if it is in limited minutes.

Bjorkstrand: He's a hard one to pin down. He shoots a lot, and seems to get chances, but there is a huge majority of time where he just fades and is just there. I like him a lot, and I want him to reach his potential, but I think the lack of creativity as a whole on the team holds him back, and despite having one of the best shots on the team, he doesn't get deployed in a very good spot to use it very often. Especially on the PP, where he lines up on the right point rather than closer to the net. I would say he's been disappointing too, given how much they were/are expecting out of him. I thought this would be the year he topped 30 goals. Maybe he's just not that kind of player.

Dubois:
I think he's growing into a man child. Very rarely this season has he not had an impact in some way on the ice. He's hit a bit of a cold spell offensively in recent games (1 point in the last 5 games) but he's still had opportunities and is driving the net very well. He is one of the few people I have been consistently impressed with, and appears well on the path to become the #1 C he was drafted to be.

Jenner: Boone is the type of player you rarely get frustrated at. You see him out there and he's the same guy every game. Solid player, and important role player. Limited offensively, but we knew that. I have had no issues with his play for his given role.

Foligno: I think he's been fine. He's playing way above in the lineup where he should be (at this point of his career, he should be in the bottom 6, not getting PP time, but some PK work) but that's not his fault. Unfortunately with his ice time he should be producing more, but he's just not that type of player. Given his ice time he's been disappointing, but by and large I have had no issue with his play, more I have an issue with his ice time.

Milano: Other than Dubois, and Bemstrom's recent rise, Sonny has probably been the biggest bright spot among forwards. He's the most creative offensive player we have, and he's the most dangerous player with the puck we have (both positively and negatively). He should play higher in the lineup, and take our lumps with his deficiencies because he brings an element to our game that we need. He's been pretty silent recently, though.

Nash: Had a good start to the season, and has since gone back to being the Riley Nash of last year. Nothing special. Makes too much for his role, but that's not his fault either. On a path to become the most meh CBJ "big" offseason signing since Sammy Pahlsson.

Nyquist: He's not sexy, he doesn't flash on the screen like a Dubois or Milano, but he's good. I think he's been what we expected from him.

Texier: He's there. He looked overwhelmed to start the season, but has settled in. Too much was expected of him from the team and fans (me included) because of his end of the season last year, but he's an important player going forward for us and should continue to get fed minutes to get better. His injury didn't help things either.

Wennberg: Again we meet frustration. Much like Bjorkstrand, he had a good start to the season, and has since faded back into being the Wennberg of two years ago. I don't think he's been as bad as he was last year, but he's certainly not been as good as he was three years ago. He's an NHL player, but he's way more ideally a 3rd line center rather than relying upon him to be our 2nd line center. I'm glad he's made progress, but he's making too much money to keep waiting on.

D

Gavrikov: I think he's been very steady. Nothing sexy, and you don't really notice him ever, but that's his game. He's a solid player and someone we should have around for a long time.

Harrington: He's been fine. You notice him for the wrong reasons sometimes, but he's a serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman who can kill penalties. We're fortunate enough to have better options.

Jones: Probably the biggest disappointment this season for me personally. He's been fine. He's certainly a star type talent and you can see it whenever he plays a game. However, he's taken major steps back this season offensively and defensively than what we've seen the last two seasons. At the end of the day though, even when he's not playing his best, he's by and large our best defenseman. I don't know whats happened, whether he is/was hurt, read too much about his Norris season, or whatever, but we need him to get back to being Seth Jones. Not sure if playing with Werenski is dragging him down, but something is up.

Kukan: He's fine. He's better than Harrington, and as of this season better than Nutivaara. I think he's been a fine 3rd pairing defenseman.

Murray: He's good when he plays, but the dude is just injury prone. He is what he is, a solid top 4 defenseman capable of playing all roles, and that's been no different this year. Probably best playing with Jones, but can't hold up to the rigors of playing that many minutes. Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Nutivaara: Hard to call a 7th round pick and everyday NHLer disappointing, but given how much praise the team gave him in years past, I think the word disappointing fits. He's a good puck mover, and is capable defensively, but he apparently has been outplayed by all of Harrington, Kukan, and Gavrikov according to the coaching staff. Which is something I didn't expect coming into the year. He has potential to be more, to be better than he is, but he's not gotten any better. The concussion from last years playoffs on top of this recent injury haven't helped.

Savard: Steady again. Probably our best defenseman this season as far as consistency. He isn't a glamorous player but he gets the job done. Fine for his role.

Werenski: Still lost at times defensively, but his offensive game makes up for it. I'm not sure if playing with Jones is the right thing for either of them, although they have chemistry together. His offensive game is good, and his production is pretty good, but that's never really been the worry with him. He has his up and down moments but I think he's been OK.

G

Korpisalo:
Up and down like a toilet seat. He has some good games, and some bad games, but one thing that has stayed consistent is his ability to give up soft goals. His Korpisofty nickname is well earned. However, when he is playing well you can see him being a good starting goalie. His on ice meltdowns need to be reigned in. I think the team has failed him a bit as well with their defensive breakdowns (so many odd man rushes and breakaways).

Merzlikins: More down than up, but he's starting to show why he was so highly thought of. More of an incomplete grade than Korpi's, but we'll see where his recent run of decent play takes him.

In general, the team has fallen flat on its face and has proven the doubters right. I thought the team would get around 88 points, and I'm nearly certain they're going to fall short of that. Not considerably short, mind you, but short. The offensive shortcomings on the team were expected (maybe not this drastic) but the defensive shortcomings are extremely disappointing due to the coaching staff preaching a more patient and stingy defensive strategy. I don't think our defenseman are capable of doing that. The guys we were counting on making huge strides aren't doing so, and the rookies we were told were ready weren't. Hopefully over the next 20 games this turns around, but given the absolute lack of anything resembling decent special teams, I don't see our offensive numbers changing drastically.

I like Torts, and I think the calls that this whole struggle on offense is his fault is pretty laughable, but I don't think this team is good enough to play the type of game he wants to play. I think he's a good motivator, and a great teacher for our young guys and I am glad he got to coach them. The way he's handled being the coach here has been nothing but spectacular, especially during last years roller coaster ride. I think he deserves the chance to right the ship, but I don't anticipate that happening. If the season continues down the path it appears to be, Torts should be fired at the end of the year in favor of a more modern coach.

TL;DR version: I think this team doesn't need a tank thread. They may have it handled without doing it on purpose.

Looking at players falling well short of their previous scoring levels, and saying this is who they are now after 18 games, they are not as good therefore the team is not as good, is one way to do it.

The other way is to say, this is not who they are, that we're probably not going to get a combined 35 goals out of our RWs (after going 90+ last season), etc...

It's possible that it's a bit of both, but untempered cynicism is the only reason you'd go all-in on option #1 and not go for some of option #2.

How good would Oliver Bjorkstrand be if we did this exercise a year ago at this time? He had what, one goal? Two maybe? You can find slow starts from other guys - Cam for sure - at different points in their careers.

You say Josh Anderson might have been boosted by the team last year - which couldn't be further from the truth. He did almost all of his scoring next to Boone Jenner and Nick Foligno. He carried them, by every metric. Is that kind of Josh forever lost, can we say after 18 games? I don't know but you definitely can't say it's because he was just a beneficiary of others.

"He just fades and is just there" has rarely ever been so non-apopros than to Oliver Bjorkstrand this year. He is probably the most ever-present player in the lineup in terms of his hustle and energy in winning pucks. He's better than last year, with him we are definitely talking about puck luck.

Cam I do agree, same with Dubois, Wennberg, etc...

Gavrikov jumps out to me every game. That is a great athlete that has adapted to a defensive defenseman role. He's very strong on pucks, on bodies, very quick. I've been thrilled with him.

Jones was great last game, but I agree he's been the biggest disappointment, even if he's still our best. I've said it before I think he's the humble / anxious type, and we're not putting him in the best position to get out of his own head and succeed.

Werenski has shown he can make better defensive decisions than we've seen this year. It's time to expect more from him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Looking at players falling well short of their previous scoring levels, and saying this is who they are now after 18 games, they are not as good therefore the team is not as good, is one way to do it.

The other way is to say, this is not who they are, that we're probably not going to get a combined 35 goals out of our RWs (after going 90+ last season), etc...

It's possible that it's a bit of both, but untempered cynicism is the only reason you'd go all-in on option #1 and not go for some of option #2.

How good would Oliver Bjorkstrand be if we did this exercise a year ago at this time? He had what, one goal? Two maybe? You can find slow starts from other guys - Cam for sure - at different points in their careers.

You say Josh Anderson might have been boosted by the team last year - which couldn't be further from the truth. He did almost all of his scoring next to Boone Jenner and Nick Foligno. He carried them, by every metric. Is that kind of Josh forever lost, can we say after 18 games? I don't know but you definitely can't say it's because he was just a beneficiary of others.

"He just fades and is just there" has rarely ever been so non-apopros than to Oliver Bjorkstrand this year. He is probably the most ever-present player in the lineup in terms of his hustle and energy in winning pucks. He's better than last year, with him we are definitely talking about puck luck.

We had a similar debate last year. Last year I said similar things and you gave me the same stuff, but now there is no Panarin or Bobrovsky to bail them out. I do think we will get more production from some guys (Atkinson, Anderson, Bjorkstrand) because they're better than they've shown. But is Anderson going to get to his 25+ goal number? I doubt it. Bjorkstrand to 30? Don't think so. Now I do think Atkinson can still get to 30, but that could just be me being stubborn about him.

I'm not all in on option 1, I think the team is better than they've shown. I've said this in many threads, but I still don't think the team is maybe as good as you think/thought it is.

Bjorkstrand might be a bit improved from the player he was at this point last year, but his production isn't saying that. I agree he is hustling, I don't think thats an issue with anybody on the team, and I agree he seems to be more willing to battle in the corners than he ever has been. He has made progress in these areas, however I don't see him being offensively dangerous game in and game out like you do. He was on fire to end the year last year, and continues to start slow, so we'll see where he ends up.

Like I said, I think Andy is playing hurt. He doesn't look the same, and aside from the last few games, he hasn't looked at all engaged offensively. That's a concern.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree that it looks like Andy is playing hurt. He is not the same physical presence he was last year.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Hall has a pretty good record of being on a team that wins the lottery, so there's that.

LA is done with Kovalchuk for whatever reason, offer up Dubinsky, Jarmo.

My first reaction when seeing that name here was "oh no..." but for Dubi.. why not.

Kovi is old and slow yet can still play a role. Surely more so than Dubi.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Almost 20 games into the season, here is my personal outlook on the roster at hand and how they're performing.

F
Anderson: Pretty disappointed in Andy so far this year. I think he's still playing hurt, because the aggressive powerforward of last year doesn't look like the same guy I see this year. His lack of offensive production isn't due to lack of effort, the guy is shooting from everywhere, but I'm not sure if his offensive numbers the past few years were boosted by the team around him. He might be on a Boone Jenner path of excellent 3rd liner with some offensive punch. Which isn't a bad thing. I do think he is playing injured though.

Atkinson: Probably the biggest disappointment on the team. It isn't just due to the lack of production, but the pesty Cam Atkinson of 3 years ago seems to be a distant memory. He isn't as involved defensively, and appears to be cheating offensively. Our PP struggles hit him hard because he's our best scorer, yet only has two PPG. He is in a big time funk, not only on the scoresheet, but in general with his play. Although I will say he has begun to look better in recent games, but his luck still hasn't. We all know Cam though, he'll get one goal and he'll get hot again. Very streaky player. I'm not worried about him, but he is frustrating to watch sometimes.

Bemstrom: Completely overwhelmed to start the season, benched in games where he was a non factor, but there has been a spark into his game recently after he scored his first career goal. Riding a 3 game point streak, Bemstrom might finally be settling in to a full time NHL role. And boy, do they need it. However, the coach still doesn't trust him, and the failures of the PP (a huge reason he made the team out of camp) lies a bit on his shoulders. Still, there's certainly time for him to turn the season around, but he's got to earn the trust from the coach, even if it is in limited minutes.

Bjorkstrand: He's a hard one to pin down. He shoots a lot, and seems to get chances, but there is a huge majority of time where he just fades and is just there. I like him a lot, and I want him to reach his potential, but I think the lack of creativity as a whole on the team holds him back, and despite having one of the best shots on the team, he doesn't get deployed in a very good spot to use it very often. Especially on the PP, where he lines up on the right point rather than closer to the net. I would say he's been disappointing too, given how much they were/are expecting out of him. I thought this would be the year he topped 30 goals. Maybe he's just not that kind of player.

Dubois:
I think he's growing into a man child. Very rarely this season has he not had an impact in some way on the ice. He's hit a bit of a cold spell offensively in recent games (1 point in the last 5 games) but he's still had opportunities and is driving the net very well. He is one of the few people I have been consistently impressed with, and appears well on the path to become the #1 C he was drafted to be.

Jenner: Boone is the type of player you rarely get frustrated at. You see him out there and he's the same guy every game. Solid player, and important role player. Limited offensively, but we knew that. I have had no issues with his play for his given role.

Foligno: I think he's been fine. He's playing way above in the lineup where he should be (at this point of his career, he should be in the bottom 6, not getting PP time, but some PK work) but that's not his fault. Unfortunately with his ice time he should be producing more, but he's just not that type of player. Given his ice time he's been disappointing, but by and large I have had no issue with his play, more I have an issue with his ice time.

Milano: Other than Dubois, and Bemstrom's recent rise, Sonny has probably been the biggest bright spot among forwards. He's the most creative offensive player we have, and he's the most dangerous player with the puck we have (both positively and negatively). He should play higher in the lineup, and take our lumps with his deficiencies because he brings an element to our game that we need. He's been pretty silent recently, though.

Nash: Had a good start to the season, and has since gone back to being the Riley Nash of last year. Nothing special. Makes too much for his role, but that's not his fault either. On a path to become the most meh CBJ "big" offseason signing since Sammy Pahlsson.

Nyquist: He's not sexy, he doesn't flash on the screen like a Dubois or Milano, but he's good. I think he's been what we expected from him.

Texier: He's there. He looked overwhelmed to start the season, but has settled in. Too much was expected of him from the team and fans (me included) because of his end of the season last year, but he's an important player going forward for us and should continue to get fed minutes to get better. His injury didn't help things either.

Wennberg: Again we meet frustration. Much like Bjorkstrand, he had a good start to the season, and has since faded back into being the Wennberg of two years ago. I don't think he's been as bad as he was last year, but he's certainly not been as good as he was three years ago. He's an NHL player, but he's way more ideally a 3rd line center rather than relying upon him to be our 2nd line center. I'm glad he's made progress, but he's making too much money to keep waiting on.

D

Gavrikov: I think he's been very steady. Nothing sexy, and you don't really notice him ever, but that's his game. He's a solid player and someone we should have around for a long time.

Harrington: He's been fine. You notice him for the wrong reasons sometimes, but he's a serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman who can kill penalties. We're fortunate enough to have better options.

Jones: Probably the biggest disappointment this season for me personally. He's been fine. He's certainly a star type talent and you can see it whenever he plays a game. However, he's taken major steps back this season offensively and defensively than what we've seen the last two seasons. At the end of the day though, even when he's not playing his best, he's by and large our best defenseman. I don't know whats happened, whether he is/was hurt, read too much about his Norris season, or whatever, but we need him to get back to being Seth Jones. Not sure if playing with Werenski is dragging him down, but something is up.

Kukan: He's fine. He's better than Harrington, and as of this season better than Nutivaara. I think he's been a fine 3rd pairing defenseman.

Murray: He's good when he plays, but the dude is just injury prone. He is what he is, a solid top 4 defenseman capable of playing all roles, and that's been no different this year. Probably best playing with Jones, but can't hold up to the rigors of playing that many minutes. Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Nutivaara: Hard to call a 7th round pick and everyday NHLer disappointing, but given how much praise the team gave him in years past, I think the word disappointing fits. He's a good puck mover, and is capable defensively, but he apparently has been outplayed by all of Harrington, Kukan, and Gavrikov according to the coaching staff. Which is something I didn't expect coming into the year. He has potential to be more, to be better than he is, but he's not gotten any better. The concussion from last years playoffs on top of this recent injury haven't helped.

Savard: Steady again. Probably our best defenseman this season as far as consistency. He isn't a glamorous player but he gets the job done. Fine for his role.

Werenski: Still lost at times defensively, but his offensive game makes up for it. I'm not sure if playing with Jones is the right thing for either of them, although they have chemistry together. His offensive game is good, and his production is pretty good, but that's never really been the worry with him. He has his up and down moments but I think he's been OK.

G

Korpisalo:
Up and down like a toilet seat. He has some good games, and some bad games, but one thing that has stayed consistent is his ability to give up soft goals. His Korpisofty nickname is well earned. However, when he is playing well you can see him being a good starting goalie. His on ice meltdowns need to be reigned in. I think the team has failed him a bit as well with their defensive breakdowns (so many odd man rushes and breakaways).

Merzlikins: More down than up, but he's starting to show why he was so highly thought of. More of an incomplete grade than Korpi's, but we'll see where his recent run of decent play takes him.

In general, the team has fallen flat on its face and has proven the doubters right. I thought the team would get around 88 points, and I'm nearly certain they're going to fall short of that. Not considerably short, mind you, but short. The offensive shortcomings on the team were expected (maybe not this drastic) but the defensive shortcomings are extremely disappointing due to the coaching staff preaching a more patient and stingy defensive strategy. I don't think our defenseman are capable of doing that. The guys we were counting on making huge strides aren't doing so, and the rookies we were told were ready weren't. Hopefully over the next 20 games this turns around, but given the absolute lack of anything resembling decent special teams, I don't see our offensive numbers changing drastically.

I like Torts, and I think the calls that this whole struggle on offense is his fault is pretty laughable, but I don't think this team is good enough to play the type of game he wants to play. I think he's a good motivator, and a great teacher for our young guys and I am glad he got to coach them. The way he's handled being the coach here has been nothing but spectacular, especially during last years roller coaster ride. I think he deserves the chance to right the ship, but I don't anticipate that happening. If the season continues down the path it appears to be, Torts should be fired at the end of the year in favor of a more modern coach.

TL;DR version: I think this team doesn't need a tank thread. They may have it handled without doing it on purpose.

Very well said! Full of nuance and more.

Especially about Torts getting sacked only at the end of the year and only if there is no significant improvement.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Kovi and Tors, that would be a hoot!

I was thinking about Kovi and I wouldnt pursue this.

Kovi is an arrogant guy who could easily ruin whatever theres still left in the room. The room is already not in the best shape and bringing Kovi into it isnt a good idea at all.

Hes also quite snobby and I really doubt he would feel like living in Cbus which would translate itself into his negative side showing itself even more.

I hope Jarmo doesnt pursue this.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
@CBJWennberg10 solid assessment.

my personal top 3 up and down

Good:

- PLD - frankly the only solid top 6 C we have in the org. Drives to the net relentlessly, scored some nice goals from the high slot.

- Nyquist - While I expected him to score more since I consider him more of a sniper, he’s produced some offense especially recently

- Gavrikov - even though he’s not very noticeable, this might rather be a good thing for a DD. Would like him to improve offensively.

Bad:

- Cam - I guess losing the Bread Man really affected him, he’s missing many top notch chances game after game and he’s been underwhelming in every way

- Seth - He’s not been the true #1D he is, many defensive mistakes and he’s not been a great QB on PP

- Anderson - Biggest disappointment so far. I expected him to have a bigger role and provide more offense, but 2 points in 12 games is just heart breaking.

Frankly it’s a scary thing out leading goal scorer has 6 goals in 18 games

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Leaf fan incoming and dont want to be flamed out of here but i wanted to get your perspective about something.

How far off is a potential trade of:

Johnsson + Bracco + Ceci + Petan + your 3rd round pick

For

Anderson + Savard

I noticed that anderson isnt putting up anything this year points wise but he hits and we need that more than goals/points which johnsson has him beat.

I would even consider exchanging barrie for ceci to get it done if we are that far off.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Leaf fan incoming and dont want to be flamed out of here but i wanted to get your perspective about something.

How far off is a potential trade of:

Johnsson + Bracco + Ceci + Petan + your 3rd round pick

For

Anderson + Savard

I noticed that anderson isnt putting up anything this year points wise but he hits and we need that more than goals/points which johnsson has him beat.

I would even consider exchanging barrie for ceci to get it done if we are that far off.
Thats a lot of players, and IMO we need two players (2c, and a star) to have a chance at a cup. If we were rebuilding or needing to upgrade multiple positions I could see something involving a package but Anderson fills a need and Savard is someone we would like to keep to help out all the young guys on D.

It's a pass for me.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Thats a lot of players, and IMO we need two players (2c, and a star) to have a chance at a cup. If we were rebuilding or needing to upgrade multiple positions I could see something involving a package but Anderson fills a need and Savard is someone we would like to keep to help out all the young guys on D.

It's a pass for me.
Appreciate the reply! Just thinking that you guys need scoring forwards and we need toughness and defenceman. I know jones and werenski and murray arent going anywhere. I like andersons and savarda toughness

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
None of the players you mentioned would truly interest CBJ. We certainly don’t need quantity, our biggest needs are a top 6 playmaking center and creative wingers.

It’s also not wise to send Anderson away at his lowest value, we know what he can be capable of.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I bet we were still one of youngest 5 teams in league during that time.
No we were not. McLean drafted overagers.. pretty much all sucked

I’ve taken them. Multiple. Minored in Math. You can get the stats to hint at whatever you want, so can I. Really they mean little. Agree to disagree Hon.
Tank for a 50% or less chance? Don't you understand we were hot garbage the year Pittsburgh went in the bag and got Crosby. the next year they got Malkin. We were terrible and new and our Mgmt sucked. Brought in free agents to get 70 points..

Never underestimate this franchise
I think I get your sarcasm and I like it. We are a playmaking centre away from being a really good team. Some one that carries the puck and shows patience can make the pass or go straight to the net. Increase puck possession get (better shots/ not more shots) Win more faceoffs.. score points with sniping ability. Do those things and your defense and goaltending get immensely better. We don't have a Boll, that is a good thing.. but we also don't have steady goal tending that is infinitely worse and unpredictable. Have to find ways to take the pressure off... to know you aren't giving up the lead with under 60 seconds left, or lead the league in shorty's. Find a Gino Malkin / Ryan O'Reilly change the fortune of this franchise.

Reactions: Viqsi

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
There was a Ryan O’Reilly available on the trade market prior to the 2018-19 season & Jarmo in his infinite GM wisdom passed on him in favor of his love child, Wennberg, having a comeback season. Then when Wennberg stunk, he traded a first round pick for a Duchene rental, then watched Duchene walk. And presto !!! We are back to waiting on Wennberg to have a come back year. There is a GM with his hands on the pulse of the team!!

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There was a Ryan O’Reilly available on the trade market prior to the 2018-19 season & Jarmo in his infinite GM wisdom passed on him in favor of his love child, Wennberg, having a comeback season. Then when Wennberg stunk, he traded a first round pick for a Duchene rental, then watched Duchene walk. And presto !!! We are back to waiting on Wennberg to have a come back year. There is a GM with his hands on the pulse of the team!!

How do you know he passed on him? Maybe our offer got beat?

if we kept duchene, we’d likely still be right where we are now, but with no first round pick. Then you’d complain about overpaying duchene and not having a top pick. Duchene doesn’t tip the scales for this team or Nashville’s. Yes. He helps immensely and would be better than Wennberg, but he’s not taking this team from current 7th in the metro to the top 3-4.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
CBJW, says you !!! I think Duchene would make a huge difference
True, but that wouldn't stop me from complaining about no 1st rounder this year...but it would have been a late 1st...so no biggie.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
True, but that wouldn't stop me from complaining about no 1st rounder this year...but it would have been a late 1st...so no biggie.
I would always take an established player signed for a good amount of time over a hypothetical first round star

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad