The "Tanking" And/Or Other Roster Moves Discussion Thread

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
3 regulation wins, no wins by multiple goals. It may not be by design, but this team is tanking.

As bad as we're playing we've still managed to get to 7-8-4. I doubt we're as bad as we've been playing so I doubt we'll "tank". We'll probably miss the playoffs, but we'll probably be in the pick range that annoys our fan base.

Reactions: cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Looking at what the Jackets did in the offseason, I do believe Jarmo's intent was to tank this year.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. We had reports of Jarmo making lots of calls to help improve the team. He was pursuing Zuccarello, called Marner, etc..., and he ultimately signed Nyquist to a much better contract than those guys got. The team was returning 5 20 goal scorers, the D was set, and Jarmo made the call on the G's, which has looked better and better. He thought, and the whole team thought, that they'd have a better record than this. I think they still think they're a better team than this.

You can tank your ass off but do your odd get better than 15%-18%?

18.5%? That's the best odds you can get for Lafreniere.

Reactions: thebus88

puckthat

Jul 19, 2019
Well we play a banged up Montreal and then Detroit this week. If they can't take these two as a way to jump start the team, then I'd say the tank is o.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've come to loathe the discussion around these supposed "easy games". There is so much parity in this league. Ottawa has won 6 of 10. The one recent exception was last year's Bolts, but we crushed them when it mattered, and Ottawa of all teams, which finished dead last, still managed to win their season series vs Tampa. There are no easy games and they don't tell you that much about your season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’m curious what it’d take to pry Johnny Hockey out of Calgary

Been looking at the threads discussing same on TR&FA and they keep talking about needs at center. I think on a good day one might be able to sell some fans on a Werenski swap, but they've got so many LD already that I haven't tried asking.

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
I'm wondering when The Tank course will be set to go down south. Will Tortorella's sacking help to the cause? I think he's cool and that isn't his fault that this team's talent is mediocre at best but the the best thing is that this roster is one of the youngest in the league so this could be a good team in a few seasons.

But to achieve something y'all need some real high end talent but to get high end talent there will be sacrifices. So who will get sacked? Dubinsky, Foligno?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm wondering when The Tank course will be set to go down south. Will Tortorella's sacking help to the cause? I think he's cool and that isn't his fault that this team's talent is mediocre at best but the the best thing is that this roster is one of the youngest in the league so this could be a good team in a few seasons.

But to achieve something y'all need some real high end talent but to get high end talent there will be sacrifices. So who will get sacked? Dubinsky, Foligno?

Well, Jarmo defended Torts in The Athletic today. So I don't think he's getting canned any time soon. He's the 7th-longest tenured coached in the NHL.

Here's what I expect:
-Flounder around .500 for a few months - basically, that playoff cut line is seemingly always within reach. This will force Jarmo to buy or sell at the deadline.
-I anticipate selling at the TDL - probably a defenseman, like a Savard or Murray type.
-At least one buyout this summer -> probably Dubinsky, but I can see the case for Wennberg.

We won't enter next season significantly different (other than addition by subtraction) but Jarmo will tell us we've turned the corner and he believes in the group he has.

Reactions: OscarsCards

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

We've kind of talked this to death. Tanking wouldn't work for the Jackets. I could give you my explanation but I think you'd figure out everyone's positions by reading some of the thread.

Edit: feel compelled to ask - how do we achieve this tanking objective by removing Dubinsky or Foligno, again? Teams tank by selling off their good older players. But our best players are Dubois, Jones, Werenski, etc.. Kids. We can't trade our best players to get worse, and we can't get worse trading our worst players....

Last edited:
Reactions: koteka and Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad