TV: The Strain Premiere. Is Any One Excited?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I have never in my life wanted a child character to die more than Zach or hated a child actor more than the kid who plays him. Not only did they make us watch the dumbest kid in tv history but to be subjugated to such a horrible "acting performance" as well. :rant:

So where did Dutch disappear?

This. I was just getting used to Zack not making me cheer for his imminent death, but c'mon kid. Okay, fine. Go get eaten by a strigoi. Like now. Immediately.

And Dutch's probably still curled up in a fetal position in the bunker having dumped Fet and having been dumped by the artsy chick.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So I am pretty sure Eldridge Palmer is Ed Snider

Palmer:

JOHNATHAN_GREEN_ROOF_FNL_hires2.jpg

Snider:

hi-res-ade91253a784611560408e1290cc1c7e_crop_north.jpg

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Meh. I didn't think the finale was bad all things considered but the season in general was definitely lacking. I hated the way they handled the whole "public knowledge of vampires" thing. Really disliked the Justine Feraldo plot-line. It seemed to produce at least one cringe-worthy moment an episode.

I'm not "hate-watching" this, but it's just kind of something I throw on without much interest now.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Meh. I didn't think the finale was bad all things considered but the season in general was definitely lacking. I hated the way they handled the whole "public knowledge of vampires" thing. Really disliked the Justine Feraldo plot-line. It seemed to produce at least one cringe-worthy moment an episode.

I'm not "hate-watching" this, but it's just kind of something I throw on without much interest now.

I felt the ending was pretty obvious with all the flashbacks between Eph and Nora, all of a sudden, and when she said she would go with him.

I still look forward to each episode, just hope it picks up for next season.

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
I think season two sort of lost the creepy/tense ambience of season one. Dutch just isn't a good character. They need to give Eph, Setrakian, and Fet more material to work with. Eichorst, the Master, and Palmer need more airtime. Gus doesn't make sense anymore, I don't understand his motivations. He just continues to be recruited by these good guy vamps. The mayor/woman politician is annoying and serves no purpose.

Zach is absolutely awful. Even at his age, I think any child would come to grips with what happened to his mother and understand what his dad is telling him. The scene with Nora's death due to Zach was just embarrisingly bad.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I think season two sort of lost the creepy/tense ambience of season one. Dutch just isn't a good character. They need to give Eph, Setrakian, and Fet more material to work with. Eichorst, the Master, and Palmer need more airtime. Gus doesn't make sense anymore, I don't understand his motivations. He just continues to be recruited by these good guy vamps. The mayor/woman politician is annoying and serves no purpose.

Zach is absolutely awful. Even at his age, I think any child would come to grips with what happened to his mother and understand what his dad is telling him. The scene with Nora's death due to Zach was just embarrisingly bad.

I hope that factory could restore that creepy/tense ambiance. I think they overused Dutch this season. Not a bad role character IMO, but I couldn't care less about her love life/struggles.
Gus looked like he could of had a bigger/better role, but he was sort of a secondary character and I didn't get the amount of airtime to Angel/the girl(and her family) he fell in love with. I think Gus is just overwhelmed and isn't really set on his motivations, other than getting his girl out of town.
Justine definitely took an annoying turn towards the end.

I don't get the Zach storyline. 4 or so episodes prior, he sees his mom with her "children" trying to hurt/kill him, Eph and Nora(IIRC) and he somewhat comes to his senses that she is infact bad. But, he all of sudden reverts back to his, "you can fix her stage" even though her appearance has degraded and she infected Nora. Really weak story they are trying out with Zach this season.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
I maintain that I watch this show simply to bear witness to, and yes, enjoy, its exquisite terribleness. But Zach yelling "STOP" and Nora dying because of it and the mom NOT dying is offensive to my better sensibilities. Time healed the first season's wounds and I came back for season 2, we'll see if the same can be said for season 3. Ugh. So bad.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I have a weird relationship with this show because I always seem to lose interest half-way through a season and by the end I'm like meh. But then I do a rewatch of the previous season before the new one and always come away with a "that wasn't as bad as I remember" vibe. I am now psyched to see the new season, I kind of forgot they killed off Nora in the finale and that Zach went with his "mom".

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Last season kind of sapped my interest in this show. I'll watch it if I catch it, but I don't plan on going out of my way.

I have a weird relationship with this show because I always seem to lose interest half-way through a season and by the end I'm like meh. But then I do a rewatch of the previous season before the new one and always come away with a "that wasn't as bad as I remember" vibe. I am now psyched to see the new season, I kind of forgot they killed off Nora in the finale and that Zach went with his "mom".

I hope they do a cold open and Zach is just dead in a ditch somewhere.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Last season kind of sapped my interest in this show. I'll watch it if I catch it, but I don't plan on going out of my way.
I hope they do a cold open and Zach is just dead in a ditch somewhere.

I doubt we'll be that lucky. Eph's character arc is probably now going to be entirely about trying to find Zach, while the audience prays for his death.

Not to be too spoiler-y, but my wife informs me that Zach figures prominently in the books. Unfortunately.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Nope. No dead Zach. Instead we get Fet leading some redshirt navy seals through the sewers to entirely predictable results, Fet pointlessly squabbling with Quinlan, and some other vampire-ish stuff.

Meh.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This show is like 20 minutes of actual show and 40 minutes of commercials. This is an exaggeration of course, but it certainly feels like it.

I just don't know how anyone could watch this show live and deal with the commercials. i salute the people who are forced to watch this show live. I thankfully have the ability to record the show and watch it later.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This show is like 20 minutes of actual show and 40 minutes of commercials. This is an exaggeration of course, but it certainly feels like it.

I just don't know how anyone could watch this show live and deal with the commercials. i salute the people who are forced to watch this show live. I thankfully have the ability to record the show and watch it later.

Much like everything on network tv. I have no idea what I did before I got the dvr, I really don't.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Nope. No dead Zach. Instead we get Fet leading some redshirt navy seals through the sewers to entirely predictable results, Fet pointlessly squabbling with Quinlan, and some other vampire-ish stuff.

Meh.

That's a shame. Season 1 was good, 2 was bad.

If this one starts off slow it'll go in the I'll record but probably never watch folder.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Much like everything on network tv. I have no idea what I did before I got the dvr, I really don't.

I watch a lot of shows on network tv and while they do have plenty of commercials, i still feel this this show has way more commercials than any of the other network shows i watch.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I watch a lot of shows on network tv and while they do have plenty of commercials, i still feel this this show has way more commercials than any of the other network shows i watch.

The Walking Dead is by far the worst I've seen for this on the air right now. Fortunately, I swore off it for good after the last season was basically nothing more than clickbait.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I enjoyed the season opener. Intro recap was well done. Quinlan is certainly an interesting character. Ef has a serious decision to make now.

I thought so too, very good table-setting episode. I was disappointed that was a dream sequence of Eph shooting a Strigoi-Zack in the head though, haha.

Did they write Dutch off the show?

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
The Walking Dead is by far the worst I've seen for this on the air right now. Fortunately, I swore off it for good after the last season was basically nothing more than clickbait.

This isn't true, the run times of episodes are all about the same. What TWD does often do, is have longer episode run times between commercial breaks early in the episode and then have more frequent breaks in the back half of the show.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This isn't true, the run times of episodes are all about the same. What TWD does often do, is have longer episode run times between commercial breaks early in the episode and then have more frequent breaks in the back half of the show.

To clarify: what I meant wasn't that TWD has the most commercials, just the most obtrusive. Those fourteen commercial breaks in the last ten minutes were almost enough to switch off even if the show hadn't pissed me off so badly after Glenn's fake-out death and Negan finally being introduced in the last five minutes of the season and killing...someone. We're not telling you for now, see you in October! Yeah, no.

Anyway, back to the Strain.

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com
The kid actor that plays Zach is awful. The first actor from season 1 was much better. I enjoyed the premise at the beginning of season 1. Slowly this show deteriorated but I keep watching just to see how it ends.

So many loopholes... It was so difficult for Eff to get out of NY and travel to Washington. Nobody is questioning how he got back into New York? This should be made into a comedy, how can it be taken seriously..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad