The stock market thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Maybe an economy that really doesn't produce much other than debt and speculation on that debt isn't the most stable thing you could dream up :dunno:

COVID-19 may have lit this fire, but lets not kid ourselves these pyres have been being assembled for years. Just like 2008. Except unlike 2008 I'm not sure the government and the taxpayer will be able to foot this particular bill. Things are going to get a whole lot worse when fundamental systems start to fail.

I will be buying some gold and burying it in my parent's yard.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Sold a large portion of my equites at the end of close on Monday so down a bit from there but...

The last 2 days look like a head fake with short covering and low volume.

I'm on the front lines and I regretfully have to say there's more bad news, lots of it, to come. My only concern with selling is the forced buying for retirement and index funds.

We're going lower IMO. I'm looking at S&P 2000 or a little lower for a partial reentry.
You should have held a bit longer in anticipation of that bounce. Could have made back some of the value you lost from the initial fall.

My calls worked out just in time for me to load up on more Mid April/May puts on friday. We are about to enter another big leg down right now imo. From here I can see the S&P going down to the 1900 range (historic supports) where it will bounce a few hundred points before taking a death spiral all the way down to the 1300 range (my presumed bottom).

Stay safe out there in the world, and smart with your assets when you trade. We're just at the beginning of this crisis.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
You should have held a bit longer in anticipation of that bounce. Could have made back some of the value you lost from the initial fall.

My calls worked out just in time for me to load up on more Mid April/May puts on friday. We are about to enter another big leg down right now imo. From here I can see the S&P going down to the 1900 range (historic supports) where it will bounce a few hundred points before taking a death spiral all the way down to the 1300 range (my presumed bottom).

Stay safe out there in the world, and smart with your assets when you trade. We're just at the beginning of this crisis.

Agree I should've held a little longer but hindsight's 20-20 and a lack of discipline is why I've gone mainly to low cost funds and ETFs.

I made good money on shorts many years ago but lacked discipline on my long positions and also my timing was just off on my puts.

All said, I love the game but I don't have the time and savvy to micromanage.

I agree with a fall but think S&P 1900 should hold. I'll buy back in around 1900-2000.

Good luck.

Reactions: valet

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
When the stock market hits rock bottom,thats when the rich will buy their stocks back along with all the others that were sold when everyone else paniced.

That's how the rich get richer.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Where are the bulls?

If you're taking a long-term view, it would be unwise not to be bullish. Betting against the power of the US economy has always proven to be a poor long-term position. It's highly unlikely that this will change in our lifetimes.

I don't know what the stock market will do next week, next month, or next year. Even five years out, I can't say with certainty it will be higher than it is today (it's highly probable, but not certain). The reality is nobody else in this thread knows. (If they did, they wouldn't be giving away their insights for free on a hockey message board). But over long time frames - twenty or more years - the Dow Jones has never decreased in value.

There's a ton of academic research showing that short-term speculators can't beat the market with any consistency. Aside from the fact that people simply have no idea how to predict short-term movements ("charting", which I've seen references to throughout this thread, has as strong a foundation as alchemy and phrenology) - most short-term traders are faced with transaction fees and taxes that far exceed what a disciplined long-term investor would incur.

Buying and holding is a guaranteed way to get rich slowly. The key word is "slowly". It takes patience and discipline, but if your horizon is twenty or thirty years, it's your best option. Most of my money is in diversified ETF's with minuscule management fees. When I buy stocks of a specific company, it needs to demonstrate several characteristics - a wide economic moat, a history of maintaining/increasing dividend payouts, and a conservative dividend payout ratio. Now is probably a good time to buy since everything is much cheaper than it was a month ago.

I've been investing in the market long enough to know that every time there's a correction, the "this time is different" crowd shows up. There were people who said in 2008 that "this time is different" - that the stock market was shown be a sham, the economy's foundation was faulty, and it would taken decades to recover. It took about six years (before taking into account dividends). People said the same thing in 2001. And in 1987. Unless you think Western civilization will collapse (in which case, money would no longer have any value anyway), this correction will pass - just like all the others before it.

Obviously, this advice isn't for people who need the cash soon. If you're saving for tuition, or saving for a down-payment in a few years, stocks probably aren't your best option. You'd need to protect your capital. But if you were to invest in stocks, buying stable, boring, dividend-paying stocks would be a much better strategy than speculating on put options, in some kind of perverse bet against the same economic system that provides you with your high standard of living.

Most of the advice in this thread is objectively awful. If anybody who's just started their career is reading this, take 10% of your paycheque and invest it in a low-cost, diversified ETF (iShares has many good options - and lest I be accused of having a conflict of interest, I don't own any iShares products). Instead of gambling away your money on trying to do the impossible (guess short-term price swings), you'll be buying a small piece of ownership in active businesses. This advice is boring but, if you stick with it, you're virtually certain to get rich - slowly.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
If you're taking a long-term view, it would be unwise not to be bullish. Betting against the power of the US economy has always proven to be a poor long-term position. It's highly unlikely that this will change in our lifetimes.

I don't know what the stock market will do next week, next month, or next year. Even five years out, I can't say with certainty it will be higher than it is today (it's highly probable, but not certain). The reality is nobody else in this thread knows. (If they did, they wouldn't be giving away their insights for free on a hockey message board). But over long time frames - twenty or more years - the Dow Jones has never decreased in value.

There's a ton of academic research showing that short-term speculators can't beat the market with any consistency. Aside from the fact that people simply have no idea how to predict short-term movements ("charting", which I've seen references to throughout this thread, has as strong a foundation as alchemy and phrenology) - most short-term traders are faced with transaction fees and taxes that far exceed what a disciplined long-term investor would incur.

Buying and holding is a guaranteed way to get rich slowly. The key word is "slowly". It takes patience and discipline, but if your horizon is twenty or thirty years, it's your best option. Most of my money is in diversified ETF's with minuscule management fees. When I buy stocks of a specific company, it needs to demonstrate several characteristics - a wide economic moat, a history of maintaining/increasing dividend payouts, and a conservative dividend payout ratio. Now is probably a good time to buy since everything is much cheaper than it was a month ago.

I've been investing in the market long enough to know that every time there's a correction, the "this time is different" crowd shows up. There were people who said in 2008 that "this time is different" - that the stock market was shown be a sham, the economy's foundation was faulty, and it would taken decades to recover. It took about six years (before taking into account dividends). People said the same thing in 2001. And in 1987. Unless you think Western civilization will collapse (in which case, money would no longer have any value anyway), this correction will pass - just like all the others before it.

Obviously, this advice isn't for people who need the cash soon. If you're saving for tuition, or saving for a down-payment in a few years, stocks probably aren't your best option. You'd need to protect your capital. But if you were to invest in stocks, buying stable, boring, dividend-paying stocks would be a much better strategy than speculating on put options, in some kind of perverse bet against the same economic system that provides you with your high standard of living.

Most of the advice in this thread is objectively awful. If anybody who's just started their career is reading this, take 10% of your paycheque and invest it in a low-cost, diversified ETF (iShares has many good options - and lest I be accused of having a conflict of interest, I don't own any iShares products). Instead of gambling away your money on trying to do the impossible (guess short-term price swings), you'll be buying a small piece of ownership in active businesses. This advice is boring but, if you stick with it, you're virtually certain to get rich - slowly.

Come hug me

Reactions: Basement Cat

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

While I don't disagree with your general message of buy and hold, now is a terrible time to buy IMO.

I look at technical analysis (TA) as an essential tool. It may seem divorced from fundamental analysis but the two are really complimentary. Being right on the fundamentals and losing money because programmed trades kick in due to TA triggers is no solace to me.

S&P going lower to 2000 still seems like a good bet to me.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
While I don't disagree with your general message of buy and hold, now is a terrible time to buy IMO.

I look at technical analysis (TA) as an essential tool. It may seem divorced from fundamental analysis but the two are really complimentary. Being right on the fundamentals and losing money because programmed trades kick in due to TA triggers is no solace to me.

S&P going lower to 2000 still seems like a good bet to me.

No it's not to the bolded.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
When did you start trading/investing in stocks?

4 years ago. I work for a hedge fund, I'm pretty well informed.

Again, it all depends what is your investment horizon and goals. I wouldn't try to time the market, because it doesn't work out well most of the time.

You don't want to risk missing on good days.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
No it's not to the bolded.

I wish you well on your trades but let's agree to disagree.

I have enough knowledge regarding trading and markets to be dangerous (mainly to myself).

With that being said, I have first hand knowledge of the front lines.

It's bad and getting worse. I have no doubt it will get better in time but there most assuredly won't be an easy short term fix without an unexpected and unequivocally effective drug treatment.

In the course of the past 10 days, one of the local hospitals where I work has gone from single digit COVID positive admissions to 75 today with ventilator demand way up. We are also not one of those areas currently in the news.

I think it's only time before a major figure in the political, entertainment or sports world becomes critically ill or worse.

What do you think happens to the market if that were to happen?

Jiminy Cricket

#TeamMeat
Mar 9, 2014
My great grandson lost 35% of his wealth over the last few weeks. He was a year away from retirement. Now he's lost his job and doesn't have enough money for retirement. This is heart breaking.

Sep 19, 2008
My great grandson lost 35% of his wealth over the last few weeks. He was a year away from retirement. Now he's lost his job and doesn't have enough money for retirement. This is heart breaking.
hope he is able to survive in these tough times

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
This might be a dumb question but what does it mean when a stock symbol has RF added to the end of it ?
For example the stock symbol was PEAN and then changed to PEANRF. The stock is halted .
thanks.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
This might be a dumb question but what does it mean when a stock symbol has RF added to the end of it ?
For example the stock symbol was PEAN and then changed to PEANRF. The stock is halted .
thanks.

If i am not mistaken, the .RF is the exchange it's traded on.

For example, in Canada the stocks traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange have a .TO to their symbols.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad