The stock market thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
2T not 6T
With what the Fed is offering to do, it's really ∞.

Recession sometime in the 2nd quarter .
We need a "Captain Obvious" emoji for this. (Not being snarky, just saying that this isn't a difficult call to make right now.) Also kind of "Captain Obvious" but I predict this is going to drag well into 3Q as well, and the markets haven't considered that at all. I think they're still thinking we'll be done by early to mid May. When it starts to dawn that this is going to go into June and July and beyond and the economic toll of this becomes apparent in lives lost, everyone thinking this is a great time to buy, look at all the value out there! are going to be shocked at how much cheaper all those values suddenly got.

The market has been on hopium for a while. It's somewhere way out beyond "Al Pacino on coke in Scarface" at the moment.

Reactions: halincandenza

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
With what the Fed is offering to do, it's really ∞.

We need a "Captain Obvious" emoji for this. (Not being snarky, just saying that this isn't a difficult call to make right now.) Also kind of "Captain Obvious" but I predict this is going to drag well into 3Q as well, and the markets haven't considered that at all. I think they're still thinking we'll be done by early to mid May. When it starts to dawn that this is going to go into June and July and beyond and the economic toll of this becomes apparent in lives lost, everyone thinking this is a great time to buy, look at all the value out there! are going to be shocked at how much cheaper all those values suddenly got.

The market has been on hopium for a while. It's somewhere way out beyond "Al Pacino on coke in Scarface" at the moment.

I think we are seeing the beginning of a deflationary spiral. It will be a feedback loop that will feed upon itself until people feel confident in spending money again. With people getting laid off in mass quantities, i'm not optimistic that things will turn on a dime upwards once the virus passes.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I think we are seeing the beginning of a deflationary spiral. It will be a feedback loop that will feed upon itself until people feel confident in spending money again. With people getting laid off in mass quantities, i'm not optimistic that things will turn on a dime upwards once the virus passes.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm using right now to retrench on bills and wipe out debt where I can while minimizing credit card usage to only what's really needed. If I don't need a service, I'm cutting it. Lawn care? Satellite radio (even at $60 for 12 months)? Dunkin coffee in the morning? (This one kills me.) Lunch out every Tuesday with the crew? All of it's getting scrapped.

The ~$3500 or so I'll get? Every dollar of it will go into the bank. My goal is to basically have a mortgage payment and what's left of my 0% car loan, with the money on hand to pay the latter off on a moment's notice. I suspect others are going to have that realization soon and they'll start doing the same thing, albeit painfully.

I really thought we'd see more of it after 2008. I think twice in 13 years is going to finally shock people into saying "f*** it, I'm not getting caught a 3rd time with my pants down."

Where are the bulls?
(looks at the market today) Out there buying in full force like this is all going to be over by mid-April or so and we'll be back to normal on July 4, oblivious to the line of growing supercells off in the distance.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
(looks at the market today) Out there buying in full force like this is all going to be over by mid-April or so and we'll be back to normal on July 4, oblivious to the line of growing supercells off in the distance.

You sound really sour lolll.. I was asking about where are the bulls in this thread.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
You sound really sour lolll.. I was asking about where are the bulls in this thread.

Don’t think it’s time to be bullish quite yet , However looking at the market the last 3 days you’d think it was time. I want to see the next 3-4 weeks .

I’m still buying vanguard index fund. Up nicely on it, too. From 43 to 49.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm using right now to retrench on bills and wipe out debt where I can while minimizing credit card usage to only what's really needed. If I don't need a service, I'm cutting it. Lawn care? Satellite radio (even at $60 for 12 months)? Dunkin coffee in the morning? (This one kills me.) Lunch out every Tuesday with the crew? All of it's getting scrapped.

The ~$3500 or so I'll get? Every dollar of it will go into the bank. My goal is to basically have a mortgage payment and what's left of my 0% car loan, with the money on hand to pay the latter off on a moment's notice. I suspect others are going to have that realization soon and they'll start doing the same thing, albeit painfully.

I really thought we'd see more of it after 2008. I think twice in 13 years is going to finally shock people into saying "f*** it, I'm not getting caught a 3rd time with my pants down."

I and everyone i talk to are doing the same. This is exactly why i think we are beginning of a deflationary spiral. Once the mental shift happens in people's mind to stop spending and start hording cash then it doesn't matter what the government handouts or how much the Fed prints The velocity of money will continue to decelerate until people are confident in their financial situations again.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Get ready for the market to go back down. Get your monies ready
i got 3x SPY 180p 5/15 and some 4/1 270c's for a lil side hustle while this fake ass pump lasts. hopefully by July i'll have enough cash to get rid of the last bit of my student loans. either that or i'll be broke

fed is clearly doing all kinds of market manipulating with this 'unlimited qe' bs, but i don't think jpow is gonna keep busting his nut all over the place. it's not sustainable. the fed can only accumulate so much bad corporate debt before they say enough is enough and let the market run its course

Last edited:

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
i got 3x SPY 180p 5/15 and some 4/1 270c's for a lil side hustle while this fake ass pump lasts. hopefully by July i'll have enough cash to get rid of the last bit of my student loans. either that or i'll be broke

fed is clearly doing all kinds of market manipulating with this 'unlimited qe' bs, but i don't think jpow is gonna keep busting his nut all over the place. it's not sustainable. the fed can only accumulate so much bad corporate debt before they say enough is enough and let the market run its course

Sold a large portion of my equites at the end of close on Monday so down a bit from there but...

The last 2 days look like a head fake with short covering and low volume.

I'm on the front lines and I regretfully have to say there's more bad news, lots of it, to come. My only concern with selling is the forced buying for retirement and index funds.

We're going lower IMO. I'm looking at S&P 2000 or a little lower for a partial reentry.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
What’s everyone’s take on penny stocks? Sure most of them are trash, but there are some that are solid gold and can make you an infinite amount of returns . Any penny stock gamblers here?

I am mostly invested in blue chips - but I do a lot of DD and gamble some play money on penny stocks.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Yes, you sound extremely sour for some reason. I asked where the bulls are in this thread and look at your response lol.

2966.jpg

Reactions: BahlDeep

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
What’s everyone’s take on penny stocks? Sure most of them are trash, but there are some that are solid gold and can make you an infinite amount of returns . Any penny stock gamblers here?

I am mostly invested in blue chips - but I do a lot of DD and gamble some play money on penny stocks.

I generally stay away but have dabbled in some that have done pretty well. Biggest regret is selling AMD when it was still in the $3s a few years back, obviously not a pennystock though.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Market rallied all day long then with 30mins left everyone decided they're not holding positions over the weekend.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Yes, you sound extremely sour for some reason. I asked where the bulls are in this thread and look at your response lol.
"I didn't like you stating reality, so I'm going to complain about how I think you responded even though I don't have the first clue what you really think."

Like I said, your remark is noted.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

Stated above. It's incredibly high risk. I'm all for risk, and I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: halincandenza
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad