TV: The Sopranos Discussion Thread

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
binge watching the show now

Up to where Nancy Marchand. Tony's mother has died and man the special affects on the scene they needed to create is bad. I was realize it was 2000 when they filmed it, but they should have gone to ILM or something to get it done

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
9116288bf7b78903902a5f558680b3c3.jpg

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I think they had in mind a few one off movies but with the main actors death that killed the idea
Weren't they making a prequel show about Tony's early years? Or is that still happening? *google*

Oop, it's a movie with Shane from the Walking Dead as Johnny Boy Soprano and Galdolfini's son as the younger Tony. Black versus Italian race riots in the background. Hmm...

The Many Saints of Newark - Wikipedia

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Still think Junior killed him.

Wasn't Junior like committed in an asylum by the end of the series with dementia or whatever? What makes me not neccesarily believe Tony was killed is...who was gonna do it? They made it out like all the immediate threats to him were offed.

On another note anyone else listening to the Talking Sopranos podcast with Imperioli and Schrippa (Chris and Bobby)? It has some good stuff though they go off the reservation here and there and talk about random stuff, there's a lot of good behind the scenes stuff too though as well as just talking about each episode individually. They're near the end of season one in their recaps.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Wasn't Junior like committed in an asylum by the end of the series with dementia or whatever? What makes me not neccesarily believe Tony was killed is...who was gonna do it? They made it out like all the immediate threats to him were offed.

On another note anyone else listening to the Talking Sopranos podcast with Imperioli and Schrippa (Chris and Bobby)? It has some good stuff though they go off the reservation here and there and talk about random stuff, there's a lot of good behind the scenes stuff too though as well as just talking about each episode individually. They're near the end of season one in their recaps.

No. No. He never survived. Coma. Judgement. Death.

Pay close attention as he starts seeing Christoper as himself.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Why anyone thinks there is (or even should be) a definitive answer to this question still boggles my mind.

Because we invested years as fans into the show. I can understand if it was a movie, but 8 years of fanfare and dedication to such a brilliant show and only to end with a "come up with your own conclusion" ending almost makes me feel cheated.

Having said that, no question Tony was whacked.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah. I think he died but really - who gives a shit? It doesn't make the scene better or worse to know that.

I disagree. If cutting abruptly to black with no sound is Tony living, its a terrible ending and makes no sense. As infuriating as it was when I watched it live, like many I thought my cable cut out, it would be even worse if that was a "And they lived happily ever after" ending. Cutting to black with no sound has to mean something and it sure as shit cant mean "and then they all ate onion rings"

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I disagree. If cutting abruptly to black with no sound is Tony living, its a terrible ending and makes no sense. As infuriating as it was when I watched it live, like many I thought my cable cut out, it would be even worse if that was a "And they lived happily ever after" ending. Cutting to black with no sound has to mean something and it sure as shit cant mean "and then they all ate onion rings"

Why? All of it relates to something you'll never watch - the aftermath. You're not privy to any sort of substantial information post-scene that should affect the initial experience, IMO. I'm just not sure what it has to mean a definite thing. And besides, if it has to mean something, why should that conclusion be in that exact instant? He's a mob boss - whether he gets to eat his onion rings with his family or not, I don't think happily ever after is likely in the cards for him. He'll likely spend the rest of his (probably short) freedom looking over his shoulder on top of having a decimated criminal organization. Couldn't the abrupt cut be a symbolic conclusion instead of a literal one? You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the sense that you may just not have liked the ending, regardless of what it meant.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Why? All of it relates to something you'll never watch - the aftermath. You're not privy to any sort of substantial information post-scene that should affect the initial experience, IMO. I'm just not sure what it has to mean a definite thing. And besides, if it has to mean something, why should that conclusion be in that exact instant? He's a mob boss - whether he gets to eat his onion rings with his family or not, I don't think happily ever after is likely in the cards for him. He'll likely spend the rest of his (probably short) freedom looking over his shoulder on top of having a decimated criminal organization. Couldn't the abrupt cut be a symbolic conclusion instead of a literal one? You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the sense that you may just not have liked the ending, regardless of what it meant.

I love the ending, the more great shows you watch end the better it looks. The ending was cut before the scene ended, which is obviously for a reason and not just because. Besides the cut to black and cut off of Journey, there was no sound or credits for a short time indicating that it isnt just a fade to black thing and that it was part of the scene

Happily ever after wasnt literally, IIRC they mention at the diner that someone is testifying against them, forget the name but his dumb kid was featured a lot of AJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad