Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Honestly?
Learn how to watch Hockey first, then maybe start posting on message boards like you have some kind of idea of what youre talking about, simple as that lmao

I watch all my games on my apple watch while scrolling tiktok, like everyone else

• Love
Reactions: bcv

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
He had a small slump? The guy started the season so poorly that there where talk of sending him to Laval!!! only MSL saved that from happening. He was bad... real bad for the first 20 or so games. I'm not sure what happen, but he turned a corner in a decisive way and he's started to dominate the puck (with no point to show for) in December-ish and stated to put up points in January. His point production is reflective of the fact that he's playing well only recently, not all year.
The slump I was talking about was from Feb 21st to March 7th, he had 1 point in 8 games playing with Suzuki and Caufield.

As for the start of the season he didn't play poorly and he was far from being bad. He was making great plays all season long, not getting rewarded with points early on. Plenty of posters were saying he was playing good to start the season and that the fundamentals were much improved and it was just a matter of time/luck/opportunity before the points started to show up and that's exactly what happened. The reason you don't know what happened for him to "turn a corner" is because he didn't magically turn a corner and become good, he's simply now being rewarded when making good plays.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Sean Farrell, Cole Caufield & Juraj Slafkovsky. The future is bright 🌞

1000002571.jpg

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The slump I was talking about was from Feb 21st to March 7th, he had 1 point in 8 games playing with Suzuki and Caufield.

As for the start of the season he didn't play poorly and he was far from being bad. He was making great plays all season long, not getting rewarded with points early on. Plenty of posters were saying he was playing good to start the season and that the fundamentals were much improved and it was just a matter of time/luck/opportunity before the points started to show up and that's exactly what happened. The reason you don't know what happened for him to "turn a corner" is because he didn't magically turn a corner and become good, he's simply now being rewarded when making good plays.
People forget he got bumped off that line for a few games. It didn't last long.

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
People forget he got bumped off that line for a few games. It didn't last long.
that was before. he played a couple of games with Monahan just before he got traded and he did get points in those games.

Those two had some chemistry as well. Too bad Marty didn't play them together after Dach got hurt. Instead Moneyhands had to carry Gally and Pearson on his back, while Slaf was stuck with donkey (and Newhook)

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
that was before. he played a couple of games with Monahan just before he got traded and he did get points in those games.

Those two had some chemistry as well. Too bad Marty didn't play them together after Dach got hurt. Instead Moneyhands had to carry Gally and Pearson on his back, while Slaf was stuck with donkey (and Newhook)

Monahan on that line was nonsensical. Maybe the idea was for the kids to “watch these three pros do their thing”, but that’s still ridiculous

Reactions: Andrei79 and vlady

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
He just got the record for most points in a season by a teenager for the Habs, right?
Yup, and if the NHL had awarded him that goal properly, he would have the exact same stat line as Joe Thorton did in his D+2. 16 goals and 25 assists for 41 points but in 10 less games, maybe he can get that 16th goal in the remaining 3rd period. Looks like Thorton ended up being an excellent comparable for Slaf's D+1,2.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Yup, and if the NHL had awarded him that goal properly, he would have the exact same stat line as Joe Thorton did in his D+2. 16 goals and 25 assists for 41 points but in 10 less games, maybe he can get that 16th goal in the remaining 3rd period. Looks like Thorton ended up being an excellent comparable for Slaf's D+1,2.
Slaf doesn't play the same style of hockey as Thorton. He is getting more and more aggressive fighting for the puck.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Oleksiak deflected that puck get over it already.

Reactions: Sagikev

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's a process that has lead us to today and Slaf's in a good spot with his development. I think spoiling kids right away with top usage can be an issue for someone like Slaf who needs development. On the other hand, it's different with Bedard and yeah, Slaf is not Bedard.

I think MSL groomed Slaf well and will continue to do so. Got to learn how to walk before you run.

Slaf's getting more and more points but the main part of his performance is how he is passing the eye test on the other things besides points. That's very promising and MSL deserves credit for it... as well as Slaf is a good learner listening and comprehending what he needs to work on.

That's what development is... Good coaching and a player who can comprehend the teaching regardless of who he is playing with. No whining about it either.

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
It's a process that has lead us to today and Slaf's in a good spot with his development. I think spoiling kids right away with top usage can be an issue for someone like Slaf who needs development. On the other hand, it's different with Bedard and yeah, Slaf is not Bedard.

I think MSL groomed Slaf well and will continue to do so. Got to learn how to walk before you run.

Slaf's getting more and more points but the main part of his performance is how he is passing the eye test on the other things besides points. That's very promising and MSL deserves credit for it... as well as Slaf is a good learner listening and comprehending what he needs to work on.

That's what development is... Good coaching and a player who can comprehend the teaching regardless of who he is playing with. No whining about it either.
I understand what you are saying, but Marty intended to play Slaf with Dach on the 2nd line certainly for more than 1 and a half games. If he was ready for that, then he certainly was ready to have Mony as his center.

I thought he played one of his best games against one of the toughest opponents last night. Sure, their line got hemmed in their zone a couple of times, but they managed to limit the damage and also got plenty of looks themselves. Slaf set up Suzi and Cole multiple times and had a couple of good opportunities himself.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I was unaware that anyone seriously thought Montreal could get Zegras, Lafreniere or Dubois with Calgary 1sts, Florida 1sts or Winnipeg 1sts. Rather its what fans would be willing to pay.

Its also worth remembering that Shaw was more NHL proven at a similar age to Dach and Newhook (even if Dach and Newhook have greater upside).

But I'd say Kakko is frequently mentioned, as were others.
Dach played his first game for us at age 21, Newhook at age 22 and Shaw at age 25.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Legit shot at 50 points this year.

No way that could have been predicted the way the season started.

And still just a baby in relative NHL terms.

The more he learns the game, develops, getting stronger etc...sky is the limit.
What a difference a year makes

Reactions: Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad