Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm still surprised Slaf only has 39 points. He's been playing so solid for the majority of the season. Feels like he should be at 50.
Why is that surprising considering only his linemates, which he's been with consistently since mid-December (not 100% sure about that), have more than 39pts and the other one is a Dman.

Also played with the gravity hole known as Josh Anderson
It's also simply not true lol it's just a convenient narrative for some folks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, but also he was one himself. That was clearly a confidence and execution issue and being put in a position to succeed unlocked his potential.

Also helps to play with Suzuki full time as his center too. I've said it several times now, bouncing around the wingers due to lack of center depth has ripple effects. Combine that with Slaf's lack of confidence/maturity and there you go.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Yes, but also he was one himself. That was clearly a confidence and execution issue and being put in a position to succeed unlocked his potential.

these are just a few example from a quick search. i'm sure there are more examples. obviously good players create chances and not all of them go in but to say he was a black hole is revisionist.
not saying he was perfect and ringing 5 off the post per game but after a crappy October - except the first couple games - he started putting it together in November but was unlucky.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Slaf would be pacing at 26 goals and 38 assists over a full season (82 games) the way he's played the last 41 games.....at 19 years old. That would be a hell of a season for such a young player. Having said that, he's still had a fantastic season so far and there's so much to look forward to with him.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm still surprised Slaf only has 39 points. He's been playing so solid for the majority of the season. Feels like he should be at 50.
He had a small slump production wise not that long ago with 1 point in 8 games. Slaf has often looked good but not been rewarded with points. Part of that is on him just being that half second late or just slightly off target, and part of it is luck.

At the end of the day 50 is still very much within reach, requires 11 points in 12 games which basically just means continuing his current streak to finish the season.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

these are just a few example from a quick search. i'm sure there are more examples. obviously good players create chances and not all of them go in but to say he was a black hole is revisionist.
not saying he was perfect and ringing 5 off the post per game but after a crappy October - except the first couple games - he started putting it together in November but was unlucky.

i'm an enlightened Slaf superfan now but like, I could do the same exercise with Josh Anderson and show you how good he is by pulling out highlights of all the times he participated in scoring, it's not telling much

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

You can do the same thing for Anderson.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
i'm an enlightened Slaf superfan now but like, I could do the same exercise with Josh Anderson and show you how good he is by pulling out highlights of all the times he participated in scoring, it's not telling much
No, you can't... The only compilation you could do with Anderson, and it would be several hours long, would be a video compiling his gaffes and him killing plays. It was clear back then that Slafkovsky was getting a lot of chances but he was indecisive with the puck; it led to him not getting as many points as he could have.

He was by no means a black hole offensively à la Josh Anderson. Anyone who believes that seriously need to get their eyes checked.

Reactions: Pomee and SlafySZN

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
No, you can't... The only compilation you could do with Anderson, and it would be several hours long, would be a video compiling his gaffes and him killing plays. It was clear back then that Slafkovsky was getting a lot of chances but he was indecisive with the puck; it led to him not getting as many points as he could have.

He was by no means a black hole offensively à la Josh Anderson. Anyone who believes that seriously need to get their eyes checked.

Marc Dumont wasn't compiling video highlights of the first 30 games where Slaf was looking like that

I think we all need to meet at La Cage for a special night where we rewatch our first 20 games of the season together for 70h straight tbh because the real revisionism is people thinking he was always good

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Ok
Pull up all 18 videos of his points, and then find the videos of his 'near-chances' that he, get this, messes up himself
We'll wait

I'm sure they are the same player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sure but if you were to count the number of such plays for both players I have little doubt that Slafkovsky would have way more then Anderson.
I dont think so lol, not for early in the season.

Regardless, its rewriting history to say that Slaf was always this good. Hes looking like a legit top line forward now. You don't go from looking like he does to a 10 points pace. Thats a ridiculous notion.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
He had a small slump production wise not that long ago with 1 point in 8 games. Slaf has often looked good but not been rewarded with points. Part of that is on him just being that half second late or just slightly off target, and part of it is luck.

At the end of the day 50 is still very much within reach, requires 11 points in 12 games which basically just means continuing his current streak to finish the season.
He had a small slump? The guy started the season so poorly that there where talk of sending him to Laval!!! only MSL saved that from happening. He was bad... real bad for the first 20 or so games. I'm not sure what happen, but he turned a corner in a decisive way and he's started to dominate the puck (with no point to show for) in December-ish and stated to put up points in January. His point production is reflective of the fact that he's playing well only recently, not all year.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I dont think so lol, not for early in the season.

Regardless, its rewriting history to say that Slaf was always this good. Hes looking like a legit top line forward now. You don't go from looking like he does to a 10 points pace. Thats a ridiculous notion.
It's a ridiculous notion than a kid can go from a 4th line guy to a 1st line guy in the span on 20 games of developement too. Reality is in between. He does look better but it's mostly because he plays with better player which made him more confident.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Marc Dumont wasn't compiling video highlights of the first 30 games where Slaf was looking like that

I think we all need to meet at La Cage for a special night where we rewatch our first 20 games of the season together for 70h straight tbh because the real revisionism is people thinking he was always good
No, the revisionism is people who only look at the stats, and think he wasn't getting any chances during those first 30 games. He had many odd-man-rushes where he didn't make the right read and was too tentative with the puck. Those are growing pains any young player has to go through, and he needs to learn from said mistakes in order to make the right read in the future.

The point is that he was at least getting prime scoring chances. Anyone who had eyes could see that he was. You chose to ignore it because he wasn't producing. Also, the clips the guy responded with were during those first 30 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad