The sky isn't falling but....(Kadri)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Did you watch who was on the ice the 4 or 5 times we had sustained pressure in the Pens end? If not go watch the game tape again. The number was 43. I did not see 91 or 34 with sustained pressure in Pens end once. Again watch the game tape. Not saying that is the only aspect to a game but at least he was able to bring puck into Pens end and keep it there. Once he plays with a more skilled linemate the goals will come. He is getting screwed right now on linemates and there is nothing he can do about that.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Did you watch who was on the ice the 4 or 5 times we had sustained pressure in the Pens end? If not go watch the game tape again. The number was 43. I did not see 91 or 34 with sustained pressure in Pens end once. Again watch the game tape. Not saying that is the only aspect to a game but at least he was able to bring puck into Pens end and keep it there. Once he plays with a more skilled linemate the goals will come. He is getting screwed right now on linemates and there is nothing he can do about that.
The Kadri line had a crazy positive shot creation or chance creation that game. Just lacked the final product in a pass to open the defense up or a great shot

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Then you weren't watching the game. Tavares had several shifts where his line was getting the best chances in the game for the Leafs.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
10 shots in his first 7 games when he would normally average over 20. 5 SOG last night so maybe he is turning the corner. He is still getting icetime and I think now that he is used to the post-Tavares adjustment he will start hitting it more. Obviously Willie's return would help as worst case he gets Kapy.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Kadri has played well, the other two plugs on his line, not so much. Lindholm is ok but doesnt have the speed to open up space for Kadri, and Brown has looked completely awful for the most part.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kadri has played well, the other two plugs on his line, not so much. Lindholm is ok but doesnt have the speed to open up space for Kadri, and Brown has looked completely awful for the most part.

This is where the myth on these boards has been busted.

Kadri does not make the players around him better. The last year at least and this one, he relies on better players for his offence.

And that’s all ok. He is what he is.

Last edited:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Kadri does not make the players around him better. The last year at least and this one, he relies on better players for his offence.

And all that’s ok. He is what he is.

Can't disagree with you there. He is a very good 3rd line centre and good 2nd line centre.

Reactions: Pookie

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Can't disagree with you there. He is a very good 3rd line centre and good 2nd line centre.

Indeed. 40-50 points for 4.5M? Sure. We will take it.

I would like to see him lead that 2nd PP unit though. I think that role would be good for him.

Reactions: Cobra777

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

During those pressure moments who was he playing against? Kadri is a streaky player and just needs one to get him going, it's up to him to drive that line.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I would move him off the first pp when Nylander gets signed, he's kinda redundant there right now with JT filling his role and Matthews-Rielly-Marner having the puck most of the time.

I would prefer to put Nylander and Kadri on the second pp and move Marleau to the first unit to help JT in around the net.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I thought he was horrid to start the season but he's picked it up the last couple games. I betcha he breaks his slump vs St. Louis.

Connor Brown is a real problem on that line, no doubt our biggest offensive black-hole this season. Leivo IMO has played much better this season, no clue why he's not on the 3rd line esecially given that he's shown chemistry with Kadri in the past.

Reactions: Cobra777

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Also it should have been noted that Kadri's production was going to take a hit this season. He won't be getting 30+ goals or 60+ points again since Tavares needs his minutes.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Connor Brown is a real problem on that line, no doubt our biggest offensive black-hole this season. Leivo IMO has played much better this season, no clue why he's not on the 3rd line esecially given that he's shown chemistry with Kadri in the past.

Also it should have been noted that Kadri's production was going to take a hit this season. He won't be getting 30+ goals or 60+ points again since Tavares needs his minutes.

Came back to reality did you...?

Brown with Kadri just maximizes everything IMO. Kadri still scored 30+ goals with Brown, Marner+Matthews will be unstoppable, and if we don't sign Tavares, Nylander at center is optimal going forward.

June 22, 2018

Welcome back

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Nazem Kadri's goal drought went from bad to worse on Thursday night. With Frederik Andersen pulled for an extra attacker late in the third period, the snakebitten Maple Leafs centre could only watch as his errant pass found its way into the empty net to seal Toronto’s loss against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"I was pissed," said Kadri, who snapped his stick across the post after a second empty-net goal went in making it 3-0. "I was not happy. I had multiple opportunities to tie the game and it just wasn’t falling for me. A bad break on that empty-net goal, essentially an own goal, so that’s as bad as it’s going to get."

Kadri fired a team-leading five shots on Matt Murray and the Leafs dominated possession (33-10 edge in even-strength shot attempts) when he was on the ice against Pittsburgh. Yet Kadri remains goalless through eight games this season and has just four assists, only one coming at even strength. He’s only hit the scoresheet in two games with a pair of assists against Detroit and in the season opener against Montreal.

Surely, his frustration must be growing?

"It's really not," he insisted. "My line controlled a lot of the possession when we were out there. That’s honestly, you know, motivating."
"I'm less than half an inch away from having three or four of them," Kadri said, cheerfully referencing a couple posts hit in Detroit. "It's been (one) bad break after another, but I'm not the type of guy to get discouraged. You know, I’m pretty confident."

"I thought Naz had his best practice of the year here today," said coach Mike Babcock. "I thought he really skated and worked. I think that’s important. I think you do it right every day and keep going about your business."

Kadri isn’t superstitious and has no plans to change his routine.

"No, no, no. I don’t care about any of that stuff," he reminded reporters. "I think over the years I’ve shown that mental toughness to be able to persevere. This is just a little adversity, which is fine with me."

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Read through this thread pretty quick. AM and JT sucked last night lets be honest. Kadri was best Leaf on ice. Although scoring on his own net was really stupid. Kadri will score again when he gets a better winger. Nothing to worry about these games happen. Go Leafs Go!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Came back to reality did you...?

Welcome back
Did Kadri not score 32 goals with Connor Brown on his wing? He had Komarov on the other wing too.

Edit: Actually this is f***ing hilarious.

And that’s all ok. He is what he is.

Brown scores 20 goals, comes nowhere close to it the year after, and Kadri doesn't make players around him better. Somehow he relies on better players though.

Nice lying though.

Last edited:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I wonder what people think his line is there to do...

He’s a shutdown line. Although Babcock has been entrusting some of the marquis matchups to Matthews, perhaps in an effort to get Kadri off the snide.

Either way, Kadri is meant to be the guy that shuts down the Malkin/Crosby’s of the NHL.

Scoring is a secondary concern. So really the most important stats for him in Babcock’s eyes are FO%, and +/-.

To that end he’s -5 and 50.68 FO%

So he’s not exactly doing great but it’s a long season so I expect his numbers will creep back up.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I wonder what people think his line is there to do...

He’s a shutdown line. Although Babcock has been entrusting some of the marquis matchups to Matthews, perhaps in an effort to get Kadri off the snide.

Either way, Kadri is meant to be the guy that shuts down the Malkin/Crosby’s of the NHL.

Scoring is a secondary concern. So really the most important stats for him in Babcock’s eyes are FO%, and +/-.

To that end he’s -5 and 50.68 FO%

So he’s not exactly doing great but it’s a long season so I expect his numbers will creep back up.

This ^.

Players have five and ten game slumps all the time. In fact that's much more common than eight similar ten game segments played unless you are a top point producer. Training camp gunslingers and hot regular season starts are only meaningful some of the time. IIRC Freddie licked the bag the first ten games in the last two seasons so 2.70 .914 is actually a hot start for him.. It takes 40+ games to know whether a season is a bust or not. They won't be in dumping Kadri or signing Kappy long term based on a puny game sample.

Kadri is not a great defensive player, but he can score, and he can get under players skins, and when he is producing thats plenty. Watching him punk McDavid was insane. He doesn't do that kind of stuff often, but the important thing is, he can. Until age 28, Brad Marchand's career high for points was 61. We need to be patient, especially when the cap hit isn't an issue. Otherwise we could end up like Calgary trading Gilmour (or Hull). We don't want to be Cliff Fletcher if we can avoid it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad