The sky isn't falling but....(Kadri)

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Kadri needs wingers with speed and skill that open up the ice for him.

I’d switch brown with Kapanen. Brown has had some success with Mathews. That guy just seems to make everyone he plays with better for some reason

Reactions: The Rat King

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His possession numbers are pretty good.

When Nylander is signed, it may be worth having him get a few games in his wing to help get him going.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah he needs more speed. A plug like brown doesn't help and I think Lindholms been ok. Throw someone who can skate (Johnsson wtf happened to you?) Or nylander if he ever comes back and it'll help him.

He'll turn it around but he's snakebitten right now.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Give him Leivo and Johnsson and watch him go on a tear. Leivo is absolutely monstrous down low, which meshes well with Kadri's game. AJ is grindy and gets in to scoring areas that can and will be generated by the forecheck.

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Leivo - Kadri - Johnsson
Ennis - Gauthier - Brown

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I can’t blame him for having weak linemates, but he has had a some point blank chances that he’s missed which he should take blame for. I think once he gets a goal, a bunch more will follow suit. Always been like that for Naz.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kadri has been weak but he is playing with NPCs. They don't know how to get open or make time and space or anything. Good defensively and can get the puck out and in and cause a bunch of 5050 battles.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
The thing is that this season Kadri is hands down the 3rd best centre on the team and honestly Par Lindholm is better defensively so some nights he is fourth best (or most valuable). Still a very good player and his hands are always present. Needs better linemates to click with

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Give him Leivo and Johnsson and watch him go on a tear. Leivo is absolutely monstrous down low, which meshes well with Kadri's game. AJ is grindy and gets in to scoring areas that can and will be generated by the forecheck.

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Leivo - Kadri - Johnsson
Ennis - Gauthier - Brown

You left out Marleau :)

I think Nylander could shift to LW easier then Kappy. Kappy didn't look good in the AHL at LW but Nylander had played LW whenever he did play it, AHL and SHL etc. He only went RW his first full year in the NHL.

Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Johnsson
Leivo-Gauthier-Brown

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
You left out Marleau :)

I think Nylander could shift to LW easier then Kappy. Kappy didn't look good in the AHL at LW but Nylander had played LW whenever he did play it, AHL and SHL etc. He only went RW his first full year in the NHL.

Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Johnsson
Leivo-Gauthier-Brown

If Nylander was coming in today, I would roll with:

Marleau - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Leivo/Lindholm - Kadri - Nylander
Lindholm/Leivo - Gauthier - Brown

Leave the top 2 lines together since they have been pretty dominate for most of the 8 games so far. Get Nylander in there to set up Kadri for some grade A chances to get him going (similar to Marner last year).

Once one of the top 2 lines goes cold/stagnates you can consider moving the players around, but as of now only the Kadri line really requires a boost and Nylander is the perfect guy for that job.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Nylander was coming in today, I would roll with:

Marleau - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Leivo/Lindholm - Kadri - Nylander
Lindholm/Leivo - Gauthier - Brown

Leave the top 2 lines together since they have been pretty dominate for most of the 8 games so far. Get Nylander in there to set up Kadri for some grade A chances to get him going (similar to Marner last year).

Once one of the top 2 lines goes cold/stagnates you can consider moving the players around, but as of now only the Kadri line really requires a boost and Nylander is the perfect guy for that job.

I agree that to start I would put Kadri with Nylander because Nylander is going to need to shake off some rust.

I don't think Kadri and Nylander have displayed any chemistry in their stints together but hey, they might click this time.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I gave this a little thought after my first post ... Kadri line seems to be used as a d'zone shift start line but not as match up line, so basically he has defend and get the puck out of the d'zone and change on fly and get the big boys out. This is probably a big reason Lindholm as a 2nd face off guy is on the line also but I haven't paid a lot of attention to how Babs is managing the lines yet this season

Last edited:

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Yeah he needs more speed. A plug like brown doesn't help and I think Lindholms been ok. Throw someone who can skate (Johnsson wtf happened to you?) Or nylander if he ever comes back and it'll help him.

He'll turn it around but he's snakebitten right now.
Kadri is playing with bubble players. I'm pretty sure his linemates wont even make any other NHL club. No wonder kadri isnt producing. Owell, it is what it is.

Reactions: Koolboss

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Every year he goes cold for awhile. He’ll be fine. Personally I think there is an adjustment period happening as his role changed. Just be glad he’s not putting himself out of position in trying to deke out the entire opposing team.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He has 4 assists in 8 games, that’s not too bad.
and about 4 goalpost and a dozen great saves made against him .
make no mistake TAVARAS is our best player so far .
he hasn't taken a night off yet .
I felt Mathews got frustrated ,tavaras plays game in game out like a true star ,I feel kadri is actually playing very well ,but lets be honest ,if u stay out of the penalty box against the leafs ,you have a chance to out work them ,Pittsburgh did just that ,kudos to them .

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Clearly there are other guys that are better at burying the puck on the PP. So perhaps that should be revisited as well.

Something that might help him might be to be the main guy on the second PP unit. If you add Nylander back to the line up and put him there as well, that becomes a more threatening unit.

I feel like there are a number of factors at play here. He is at the age where performance generally trends down. And the theory of him making players around him better clearly just doesn’t apply anymore.

But beyond that he doesn’t really have a role. His line isn’t a shut down line anymore. It’s not really a scoring line. It’s not an energy line though it could be. He’s not a PK player for some reason. And on the main PP, he’s a contributor but between JT, AM and MR, he’s more of a passenger.

I feel like they need to give him a focus. Maybe it’s leading the 2nd PP. Maybe it’s replacing Marleau for a few spins a game on the top line as a winger. When Nylander is back and Kappy slides down, maybe it’s tertiary scoring. Maybe try the PK? Maybe all of the above.

Either way, he should have no trouble playing up to his 4.5M contract this season. He’s exceeded that in the last couple.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Something that might help him might be to be the main guy on the second PP unit. If you add Nylander back to the line up and put him there as well, that becomes a more threatening unit.

I feel like there are a number of factors at play here. He is at the age where performance generally trends down. And the theory of him making players around him better clearly just doesn’t apply anymore.

But beyond that he doesn’t really have a role. His line isn’t a shut down line anymore. It’s not really a scoring line. It’s not an energy line though it could be. He’s not a PK player for some reason. And on the main PP, he’s a contributor but between JT, AM and MR, he’s more of a passenger.

I feel like they need to give him a focus. Maybe it’s leading the 2nd PP. Maybe it’s replacing Marleau for a few spins a game on the top line as a winger. When Nylander is back and Kappy slides down, maybe it’s tertiary scoring. Maybe try the PK? Maybe all of the above.

Either way, he should have no trouble playing up to his 4.5M contract this season. He’s exceeded that in the last couple.

I think this is a bit of a factor. The last few year's he's been the shut down guy. Now he doesn't have a clarified role in the line up.

He will benefit from Nylander's return as well but once he gets the first 2-3 goals he'll be fine. Gripping the stick a bit tight right now.

Reactions: Pookie

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's been fine. Just a tough stretch. A couple crossbars and quite a few missed chances.

He'll get going eventually.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Give him some damn SKILL on his line and he'll be fine.

Babcock should throw Johnsson with him and it will 100% get both of them going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad