OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Ok, Willy. School me on KC- what would you recommend as a starting point for a dude who's into virtuoso guitar playing but not as into say, Yes or ELP.

Hahaha... I'm honestly RIGHT there with you but I just LOVE me some Fripp and Belew. That said their "classic" albums before Belew are probably the best place to start. Obviously their debut is all it's ever been advertised as, Red is also terrific and Larks' Tongue In Aspic rounds that group out.

Check out the Belew debut in Discipline, too. And I think you would also dig Islands because it's kinda jazzy and only semi-coherent. And also Lizard because it's dark and practically inaccessible haha.

I'll be honest though I'm not generally a HUGE KC fan. Just enjoy them here and there as mood music and again... Fripp is a hero of mine as is Belew.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Fripp + Eno + Bowie

Mix and match the awesomeness as you please.

And Belew was the unspoken partner in there for a lot of it. Add in that he spent time with the Talking Heads having to deal with David Byrne and I feel honestly sympathetic for the poor guy.

Also, IMHO, you can never go wrong with the KC debut but I think my favorite song may be Starless.

One last post script, the current iteration of KC has Gavin Harrison on drums, ex of Porcupine Tree and also currently of The Pineapple Thief (what a goofy ass band name). If the topic is "amazing drummers who no one ever talks about," Gav should be top 3 on everyone's list.

Last edited:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

This MGK album is actually really good surprisingly. It has a nostalgic early 2000’s pop rock vibe

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Can't get into them, sorry. :laugh: And I've tried! Too long, too noodlely and not enough of what I like about the first 4 albums. They're just not for me.

you need to listen to these...some of the best rock songs on YT and tell me what you think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad