OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I've been listening to The Album Years podcast helmed by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree and depressing solo albums fame. He's somewhat insufferable and as snooty as one might expect; in the last ep he literally responded to a statement by his cohost by exclaiming "Piffle!", but it's decently fascinating.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I've been listening to The Album Years podcast helmed by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree and depressing solo albums fame. He's somewhat insufferable and as snooty as one might expect; in the last ep he literally responded to a statement by his cohost by exclaiming "Piffle!", but it's decently fascinating.

I'm a sucker for music industry podcasts. Even Song Exploder, which is often way more boring and less exciting than its premise suggests.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I'm a sucker for music industry podcasts. Even Song Exploder, which is often way more boring and less exciting than its premise suggests.

I'm basically trying to expand my horizons so I'm taking suggestions from a musician who's work I enjoy. In the last episode he called Pink Floyd "the best band of all time" so at least I know he's trustworthy....

Joking aside, they avoid talking about stuff everyone is familiar with already, the "canon" they call it, and it's brought some groups that are way off my radar to my attention and that's really what I'm going for.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So, a friend of mine kept telling me how good D'Angelo was, and all I could remember was that he was an r&b artist with the shirtless beefcake video from 2000 with some extreme close-ups, which really isn't destination programming for a teenage white boy:

Nobody told me he was a gifted multi-instrumentalist who was uncomfortable with the sex god status from that video, and weaned on Prince, Sly Stone, James Brown, Fela Kuti, and George Clinton. He didn't make another album for 14 years, but Black Messiah is f***ing amazing:

I still haven't listened to that album from 2000 - Voodoo - but I'm gonna give it a go in the next couple days.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So, a friend of mine kept telling me how good D'Angelo was, and all I could remember was that he was an r&b artist with the shirtless beefcake video from 2000 with some extreme close-ups, which really isn't destination programming for a teenage white boy:

Nobody told me he was a gifted multi-instrumentalist who was uncomfortable with the sex god status from that video, and weaned on Prince, Sly Stone, James Brown, Fela Kuti, and George Clinton. He didn't make another album for 14 years, but Black Messiah is f***ing amazing:

I still haven't listened to that album from 2000 - Voodoo - but I'm gonna give it a go in the next couple days.

Go bang your partner. Also Black Messiah is good, but Brown Sugar and Voodoo got the Dilla influence so they are much more grooveable.

Also if you like D’Angelo. Bilal was part of the same group of musicians the Soulquestrians.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Anyone not named @ColePens on spotify that want to post their play list so I can find new music to listen to or music new to me?

Anyone except @ColePens and his play list filled with Coldplay and Taylor Swift.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The end of the last thread had some talk on the new Bright Eyes record, which is fantastic. It also happens to include the Penguins' new playoffs theme song.

Reactions: dogthateats

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This ones for you @HandshakeLine.

'Cause I am what I am, what I am what I am, what I am
R4XKdsU.gif
pYs6gf2.gif

And I got no choice | No I got no choice at all

Metallica has a good version too.

Reactions: HandshakeLine