OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
that’s a cool song...enjoy it...to each their own...I think some of the live versions I posted are much better than the studio though

I hear ya! I'll probably sit down again and give it another go, because I have a buddy who's trying to turn me into a Zep fan, while I'm trying to get him to admit that Nebraska is the best Springsteen album.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I hear ya! I'll probably sit down again and give it another go, because I have a buddy who's trying to turn me into a Zep fan, while I'm trying to get him to admit that Nebraska is the best Springsteen album.

Ugh...I hope he succeeds not only because I’m a big Zep fan but also because I hate Nebraska lol...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The charms of anything past Zep IV are lost on me, but When the Levee Breaks is a stone banger and mostly because of that drum beat.

I was going to reply to this and then I read...

The problem is, Andy, I'd much rather listen to "Sister Ray" than "No Quarter" or "Kashmir". :laugh:

Welp, we're on the same page here too :laugh:

I was going to say that there's only one musical act that came fully before "my time" that lived up to the hype for me and that was The Velvet Underground.

I'm not anti-Led Zep by any imagination, just anti-"the best music ever was made in [insert era in which person was in their teens and/or twenties here]," which probably made it impossible for Led Zeppelin to live up to the hype surrounding them as I grew more and more suspicious to all of the supposed best things coming out when our parents/boomers were growing up.

Unsurprisingly my favorite Led Zeppelin songs were ones that were played to death at the Igloo when I was going to nearly every game circa 2003-06, namely Immigrant Song & Rock and Roll. Surface level hits. To build on that last note...different band, same era, but I will always have a major soft spot for The Who's Baba O'Riley because of the way it was played in the arena during The X-Gen when the kids would inevitably be trailing by 3 to start the third period.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
that’s a cool song...enjoy it...to each their own...I think some of the live versions I posted are much better than the studio though

It makes me sad how many songs are better as live recorded versions than studio versions. I keep meaning to make a playlist for At the Drive-In's Relationship of Command as entirely live performances.

Other bonuses of live takes - really bad audience banter/hype-ups like "He's still got all his hair"

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Stop making them since there's already a dedicated thread?:

OT: - The Pittsburgher Thread - Mike Tomlin = Groundhog Day

Anyway, I heard this decent LCD Soundsystem cover this morning.

Randy, have you heard John Cale's (ex-Velvet Underground) version of All of My Friends?

Also recommended, it feels almost like a totally different song.

Incidentally, despite loving nearly all the same source material as LCD Soundsystem, I never really got them until a bandmate and I saw them at Pitchfork in Chicago nearly a decade ago, out of our minds on some good X, and man it all of a sudden just clicked. Now I love them, but I'm not kidding when I say seeing them live (it was right around the time of the "farewell" album) was almost a religious experience, kind of like my generation's equivalent of a Dead show.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Randy, have you heard John Cale's (ex-Velvet Underground) version of All of My Friends?

Also recommended, it feels almost like a totally different song.

Incidentally, despite loving nearly all the same source material as LCD Soundsystem, I never really got them until a bandmate and I saw them at Pitchfork in Chicago nearly a decade ago, out of our minds on some good X, and man it all of a sudden just clicked. Now I love them, but I'm not kidding when I say seeing them live (it was right around the time of the "farewell" album) was almost a religious experience, kind of like my generation's equivalent of a Dead show.

I've not heard that version, but really dig it.

Not sure if I like it more than this cover, though:

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Purity Ring covered the best song of all time. It's okay. Their singer is kinda cute. She's no Alice DeeJay thooo

In a what? Ogre in Crocs and cargos kind of way?

22SNAPSHOT-superJumbo.jpg

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->