OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Man EVH is FAR from my cup of tea. And in fact I kinda hate Van Halen but that sucks. Dude was pretty important to the evolution of the guitar and supremely talented.

This kind of where I am. I actually mostly prefer Van Hagar songs to DLR Van Halen which I know would get me arrested in some places but man, DLR is just the WORSE kind of d***whistle that the industry is full of.

That being said RIP to EVH man and no one can deny the talent and inspiration to later players.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This kind of where I am. I actually mostly prefer Van Hagar songs to DLR Van Halen which I know would get me arrested in some places but man, DLR is just the WORSE kind of d***whistle that the industry is full of.

That being said RIP to EVH man and no one can deny the talent and inspiration to later players.

No I agree. Van Hagar was about as cheeseball as you could get. Department store music. DLR was just... a yutz. And really, really not much of a singer.

But yeah for real... I didn't like the guy's music but I gotta have a lot of respect for EVH. At least his struggle and pain is over. Like HSL said... he's been fighting this for a while.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
1zMO7Gj.gif

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Man EVH is FAR from my cup of tea. And in fact I kinda hate Van Halen but that sucks. Dude was pretty important to the evolution of the guitar and supremely talented.

VH was never my cup of tea, a little too poppy, and they brought a lot of inferior, big-hair bands on to the then-new MTV scene for the next decade, which dragged popular music into the gutter.

But I always admired EVH's effortless, innovative solos. I remember taking my kids to see Twister at the theater; his outro over the final credits is a bit of a hidden gem, especially over the Dobly (h/t Spinal Tap) theater sound system.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"Effortless" is the perfect word for it... totally agree.

Man I WISH I could play half that well. Nevermind making it look so damned easy...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
VH was never my cup of tea, a little too poppy, and they brought a lot of inferior, big-hair bands on to the then-new MTV scene for the next decade, which dragged popular music into the gutter.

But I always admired EVH's effortless, innovative solos. I remember taking my kids to see Twister at the theater; his outro over the final credits is a bit of a hidden gem, especially over the Dobly (h/t Spinal Tap) theater sound system.

Yeah, EvH was just a masterful guitar player. I can't even blame him for the rise of Yngwie and the other 80s drek. And the dude could play on the cheapest, crummiest equipment imaginable.

Not my cup of tea, and I don't think I even own an EVH album, but the world is sadder and less rad for his absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->