Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part II (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wanna see how Lundell and Byfield perform next season.

I could see Byfield obliterating the OHL next season (2 ppg) and Lundell produced at the same ppg rate as Barkov as a 16 year old in Liiga.

Lundell is an interesting prospect. Great hands and definitely potential to go top-3

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Wanna see how Lundell and Byfield perform next season.

I could see Byfield obliterating the OHL next season (2 ppg) and Lundell produced at the same ppg rate as Barkov as a 16 year old in Liiga. He could produce similarly to Kakko and Barkov in their D-1 seasons next year, if not better.

Lundell is a late 01 right?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
If Kakko’s last name was Kelly and he was a Canadian playing in the OHL instead of pro hockey in Finland he’d be the first overall pick. The Canadian media wouldn’t let anyone even enter the conversation. I’m positive of that.
Canadian hockey fans & media are the worst and one of the main reasons I cheer for an American team

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
This sounds familiar.

Evgeni Malkin
Drafted: Pittsburgh, 1st Round (2nd Overall), 2004

Kyle Woodlief, USA Today/Red Line Report:“Big Evgeni Malkin was the dominant force in the World Under-18 Championship in Minsk last month and has not only solidified his No. 2 overall ranking, but has significantly narrowed the gap between himself and consensus No. 1 Alex Ovechkin. It's not a matter of Ovechkin coming back to the pack; Malkin has just elevated his game to a new level. A number of teams now have the pair ranked in a dead heat, with some believing that Malkin's rapid progression and long-term upside make him worthy of the top spot. As much as we love Ovechkin, it's not that big a stretch. Malkin is nearly a full year younger and will play in the NHL at nearly 6-foot-4, 215 pounds when he fills out. He also has the puck skills of a much smaller man and a nasty edge to boot. Watch the way Vinny Lecavalier has been playing in this year's playoffs and imagine Malkin five or six years from now — the comparison seems quite valid.”

Throwback Thursday: Past Scouting Reports

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
This sounds familiar.

Evgeni Malkin
Drafted: Pittsburgh, 1st Round (2nd Overall), 2004

Kyle Woodlief, USA Today/Red Line Report:“Big Evgeni Malkin was the dominant force in the World Under-18 Championship in Minsk last month and has not only solidified his No. 2 overall ranking, but has significantly narrowed the gap between himself and consensus No. 1 Alex Ovechkin. It's not a matter of Ovechkin coming back to the pack; Malkin has just elevated his game to a new level. A number of teams now have the pair ranked in a dead heat, with some believing that Malkin's rapid progression and long-term upside make him worthy of the top spot. As much as we love Ovechkin, it's not that big a stretch. Malkin is nearly a full year younger and will play in the NHL at nearly 6-foot-4, 215 pounds when he fills out. He also has the puck skills of a much smaller man and a nasty edge to boot. Watch the way Vinny Lecavalier has been playing in this year's playoffs and imagine Malkin five or six years from now — the comparison seems quite valid.”

Throwback Thursday: Past Scouting Reports

Very familiar.

I'm extremely excited at the prospect of a PPG selke candidate, that's insane.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If Kakko’s last name was Kelly and he was a Canadian playing in the OHL instead of pro hockey in Finland he’d be the first overall pick. The Canadian media wouldn’t let anyone even enter the conversation. I’m positive of that.
I hope this is true.

I’ve been catching up on some Forsberg highlights, and that is definitely the best comparison I’ve seen. Forsberg was smaller, a faster skater, and IIRC could be pretty violent (although it was also a more violent era.) But really many other aspects bear an uncanny similarity.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I hope this is true.

I’ve been catching up on some Forsberg highlights, and that is definitely the best comparison I’ve seen. Forsberg was smaller, a faster skater, and IIRC could be pretty violent (although it was also a more violent era.) But really many other aspects bear an uncanny similarity.

If he's as good as Forsberg wouldn't that make him...wait for it...generational? Or is it just a style comparison?

Kakko the Capo

Apr 12, 2019
Does Hughes have a history of concussions? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but did he miss games in the WJC this year because of concussions?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

tenor.gif

It is seriously just mind blowing how STRONG he is as a 17 year old (for most of those goals)...he's playing against grown ass man and he looks like stronger than everyone. I just cant imagine him at 22-23, holy crap.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If he's as good as Forsberg wouldn't that make him...wait for it...generational? Or is it just a style comparison?
I’m not the person to ask, but re: a Forsberg comparison, I don’t think you can have one without the other (for some attributes anyway.) He was a unique player; something “like” IQ, or “almost” quick hands, just doesn’t really make sense.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Full game of shifts here. This is the game he scored a hat trick against Luuko. Kakko is a f***ing menace, his team has the puck nearly the entire time he’s on the ice. The way he manuevers in the offensive zone really highlights his outsanding hockey IQ - he’s always one step ahead of the play. Also shows him PKing some and he’s impressive there as well. He’s looks like he has potential to be a big time threat shorthanded, he creates a lot uncomfortable situations for puck handlers with his smart positioning.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No joke, I think he puts up 1+ GPG in the OHL this year if he played there.

He had 17 in his last 23 games, including playoffs (Post WJC, 24 points overall.)

Keep in mind, his team wasn't great either.

Reactions: Rongomania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad