Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part II (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I wouldn’t say he’s slower at all. Kakko’s speed is very underrated. Nash probably has him beat in top speed but Kakko is as quick as some of the best skaters in the league. He turns on a dime 10x more easily than Nash.

Agree with all of this based on what I’ve seen so far.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I wouldn’t say he’s slower at all. Kakko’s speed is very underrated. Nash probably has him beat in top speed but Kakko is as quick as some of the best skaters in the league. He turns on a dime 10x more easily than Nash.
I would call him quick, not fast. Hopefully he will be better than prime Nash, and an amazing playoff performer.

Reactions: Rongomania

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I would call him quick, not fast. Hopefully he will be better than prime Nash, and an amazing playoff performer.
I think he’s someone who will be able to generate chances from his skating ability more so than Nash. I also think Kakko is a much better playmaker. I think he’ll end up being more of a low 30s goal scorer (generally, I could see 40+ seasons) but he’ll have 50 assists to go with it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kakko's speed is okay, but his agility is really really good for his age. He frequently generates chances with his agility, which is more than can be said for just about any Finnish forward prospect before him.

Reactions: Fvital92

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Is he slower than Nash?

Prime Nash was pretty quick but Nash with the Rangers hardly had what I would call good speed.
Kakko is a very good skater, there are a few things contributing to this myth
1) He’s being compared to Hughes, who’s greatest attribute is his skating AINEC
2) He’s big so he can cover more ice without looking like he’s skating his butt off like a smaller player
3) He’s playing against grown men, if you watch highlights of him against peers he is blowing by guys
4) He’s a very complete & mature player and there’s no real weaknesses or red flags in his game, so people say he doesn’t skate like Hughes so that must be his weakness.

He has great acceleration and he is phenomenally agile, he has this move where he’ll circle the perimeter getting a player to chase him and then stop/turn on a dime, while the players stumbling to get back up he’s already skated several feet the other direction.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is he slower than Nash?

Prime Nash was pretty quick but Nash with the Rangers hardly had what I would call good speed.

He's probably around where Nash was before retirement, maybe a tick slower.

Keep in mind that hes not even close to maxed out physically. He's naturally pretty strong (clearly) but he has a ton of work to do off the ice, he should get faster.

I get the Nash comps to some extent, though I don't agree with them. Nash leaned on guys but his reach and ability to handle the puck so far away from his body made him tough to deal with. Kakko straight up goes through people.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
This sounds like Frolov tbh.
giphy.gif

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Nash was pretty fast even with the Rangers, you could see when he was on a breakway play. The problem with Rangers Nash was his muffin shots, he seemed incapable of lifting the puck.
Kakko doesn't seem that fast in tape, but his cycle game is out of this world.

Nash was deceptively fast and made skating look easy, unlike, say, Kreider, whose stride is explosive and violent.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I feel like people are under projecting how good Kakko will be honestly. Nash? Career high of like 69 points?

I think he’s gonna be Nash and a half at least. And I liked Nash.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I feel like people are under projecting how good Kakko will be honestly. Nash? Career high of like 69 points?

Rick Nash is in the top 70 goal scorers in the history of the game.... Nash and a half would put kakko in the same territory as Selanne, ovechkin, Robitaille, shanahan , etc

No pressure.

monkaS

Apr 12, 2019

as a prospect he's better than rantanen. rantanen who's like 190 points in his last two seasons. his ceiling should be at least similar to rantanen's. and who knows what that is? should be 100p

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad