Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part II (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, I've been harping on needing a #1 franchise center but from all the videos I've seen Kakko looks like the superior player to Hughes. I'm gonna be happy with either of them.

I dunno I think some people are just getting too hyped for Kakko and convincing themselves he's the true #1 player in the draft, especially since the Devils will pick first and probably take Hughes. I got nothin about who is better but at the moment basically every scout and team related official seems to think Hughes is still the #1 pick, just that Kakko is pretty close behind him.

Ultimately all I care about is that the Rangers pick one of those two, and for the love of god both of them stay healthy

e: let's just hope he doesn't start getting interference penalties in the NHL for the Forsberg "hit them first" move he pulls so often. Kreider got one of those last season. But if he can bring that same level of dogged puck protection to the NHL that will be huge, and since he's already doing it against professional men hopefully the step up to the NHL won't be that big

e2: he seems to be excellent at carrying speed through his turns and generating a lot of power and speed through his crossovers, so while he doesn't look like a classic "fast skater", he's executing some great stickhandling at a high speed and he's not just making defenders miss, he's making them miss and then skating away from them at the same time

Last edited:

monkaS

Apr 12, 2019
e2: he seems to be excellent at carrying speed through his turns and generating a lot of power and speed through his crossovers, so while he doesn't look like a classic "fast skater", he's executing some great stickhandling at a high speed and he's not just making defenders miss, he's making them miss and then skating away from them at the same time
finally someone not finnish says this. he's not fast but that's not all a good skater is. he has all the other qualities of a great skater except for the raw speed and explosiveness, which will be a lot easier to acquire than the other stuff he already knows. he's like a god damn eel, very very slippery for a bigger guy.

a lot of times people have seen his highlights and ask why aren't they hitting him, but that's because hitting him isn't that easy. you go for a hit against a slippery guy like that and there's a chance you end up playing yourself out of a situation

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

This one has playoff goals as well which are some of his sickest.

I could easily make a top 10 moments from this video.

Some of my favorites are the low five hole wrister against Luuko (disgusting release), the breakaway at around 10 minutes, all of the bended knee one timers and the last playoff goal shown. It’s just a ****ing missle, the power he can get behind a shot is terrifying.

Just inject this into my veins. The power and skill is so fun to watch.

Reactions: haveandare

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not to go OT, but I'm so happy we got the #2 pick in a good draft to get one. The Flyers had the #2 pick in 2007 and 2017 and both years it seems like the #2 pick wasn't a great option. JVR has had a good career and Patrick is still TBD, but I feel like they weren't what you'd expect from #2 picks. 2017 was a weird ass draft where the top players were good, but the best players weren't the top 2 picks. Patrick, in particular, seems like a guy that leaves something to be desired. And with his pedigree, you almost had to take him #2, while many players taken after him were better. Having the #2 pick that year was a curse.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Not to go OT, but I'm so happy we got the #2 pick in a good draft to get one. The Flyers had the #2 pick in 2007 and 2017 and both years it seems like the #2 pick wasn't a great option. JVR has had a good career and Patrick is still TBD, but I feel like they weren't what you'd expect from #2 picks. 2017 was a weird ass draft where the top players were good, but the best players weren't the top 2 picks. Patrick, in particular, seems like a guy that leaves something to be desired. And with his pedigree, you almost had to take him #2, while many players taken after him were better. Having the #2 pick that year was a curse.

That’s a very good point. We’re lucky we don’t have to worry about that and more than likely to pick up a franchise player no matter what.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey
No doubt you can see the talent & skills. Its also a great possibility we have Mika & Kakko firing from the top of each circle during our PPs. How can you not get giddy about that.

tenor.gif

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
kakko has that ranger feel to him. he'll be wearing blue in no time.

in the words of esa tikkanen after his brief stint with Devils:

"who'd want to play in a swamp?"

Alligators, of course! C'mon Esa, you knew that answer.
And Devils, when they want to cool off and shower.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
No doubt you can see the talent & skills. Its also a great possibility we have Mika & Kakko firing from the top of each circle during our PPs. How can you not get giddy about that.
Gonna make a crazy prediction very early here. 4 "if's" though.

"If" we indeed get Kakko.
"If" he makes the team from the get go.
"If" he gets significant PP time (remember Lias wasn't "handed" PP time. You have to earn that.......right?
"If" we don't trade Kreider (need him in front of net)

We will be in the top 5, PP pctg. Even without any other major additions to the team. (EG: Panarin)

Reactions: belford222

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
finally someone not finnish says this. he's not fast but that's not all a good skater is. he has all the other qualities of a great skater except for the raw speed and explosiveness, which will be a lot easier to acquire than the other stuff he already knows. he's like a god damn eel, very very slippery for a bigger guy.

a lot of times people have seen his highlights and ask why aren't they hitting him, but that's because hitting him isn't that easy. you go for a hit against a slippery guy like that and there's a chance you end up playing yourself out of a situation

I realize these are 2 highlight reels but it's the only place I have seen KK:

I was going to say that his one and only weakness was his straight away speed. I forget sometimes he's not playing against juniors though. He is against grown men and they have 5-10 years on him, so the speed thing isn't an issue. As you have said because of the edgework, when he matures, he's going to have plenty of speed.

That being said, his edgework is fantastic, coupled with his hands in tight he is silky smooth. He is like a Frankenstein hockey player, in that he reminds me of several different players at once, a unique style imo. Kovalev and Datsyuk with the strength and coupled with his silky smooth in-tight hands and then Jagr the way he shields guys off and the physicality of Forsberg. Now I am just saying style wise not that he's as good as those guys.

If he was in JR's, this kid would have ungodly #'s. It's a scary thought that this is a 17-18 year old kid. I have to say if there's another level to his development, getting bigger stronger and faster, he's going to be a monster for the Rangers. If the Devils don't take him, which I think is a minimal chance. Anyway, I would go on and on but you guys have watched the same video's.

BTW Steve K is correct, he has a great one timer. I don't see his shot as a weakness in the least.

Last edited:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I realize these are 2 highlight reels but it's the only place I have seen KK:

I was going to say that his one and only weakness was his straight away speed. I forget sometimes he's not playing against juniors though. He is against grown men and they have 5-10 years on him, so the speed thing isn't an issue. As you have said because of the edgework, when he matures, he's going to have plenty of speed.

That being said, his edgework is fantastic, coupled with his hands in tight he is silky smooth. He is like a Frankenstein hockey player, in that he reminds me of several different players at once, a unique style imo. Kovalev and Datsyuk with the strength and coupled with his silky smooth in-tight hands and then Jagr the way he shields guys off and the physicality of Forsberg. Now I am just saying style wise not that he's as good as those guys.

If he was in JR's, this kid would have ungodly #'s. It's a scary thought that this is a 17-18 year old kid. I have to say if there's another level to his development, getting bigger stronger and faster, he's going to be a monster for the Rangers. If the Devils don't take him, which I think is a minimal chance. Anyway, I would go on and on but you guys have watched the same video's.

BTW Steve K is correct, he has a great one timer. I don't see his shot was a weakness in the least.
Love @Steve Kournianos pointing out how quickly Kakko shoots. There’s no hesitation, no settling down the puck and dusting it off, just rifles all day. His shot is about as NHL ready as it gets for a kid this age, and there’s still room for improvement.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
No one on the boards would be happier than me if we get Kakko -- I've always wanted a Finnish star player to be a key part of the Rangers lineup (Jari Kurri didn't count). But here's a wild, crazy hypothetical :sarcasm::

IF the Rangers end up choosing Hughes, how do you see him fitting in the lineup?

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
No one on the boards would be happier than me if we get Kakko -- I've always wanted a Finnish star player to be a key part of the Rangers lineup (Jari Kurri didn't count). But here's a wild, crazy hypothetical :sarcasm::

IF the Rangers end up choosing Hughes, how do you see him fitting in the lineup?
He’d slide in right behind Zibby and destroy the lesser competition after Zibanejad eats up the big boys.

Either guy fits in beautifully. I think Kakko is a better fit if we’re trying to get Zibanejad to take that next step offensively because with Hughes in tow Zibanejad’s minutes would probably get even tougher. But yeah either way we win.

Last edited:

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

Very well. We would have an elite playmaking franchise center moving forward.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Honestly, Hughes would be a better fit as a center in our current team

buckmaster

Feb 22, 2009
I'm sure this as been asked several times...but wondering where you would rank kakko in the 2020 draft?

Reason I ask, is 2020 is suppose to be really deep draft and wonder if he'd still be in top 5 or better?

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Probably 2nd behind Lafreniere
Wanna see how Lundell and Byfield perform next season.

I could see Byfield obliterating the OHL next season (2 ppg) and Lundell produced at the same ppg rate as Barkov as a 16 year old in Liiga. He could produce similarly to Kakko and Barkov in their D-1 seasons next year, if not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad