OT: The Second OT Social Bubble Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Everytime i open a thread it needs me to accept the privacy terms. Anyway to have the messages stop turning up? Christ its annoying.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Not a lot of medal contenders on the men's side to be honest. De Grasse and Warner are the only ones I can think of.

No kidding. It makes sense of course that the CBC broadcast would focus more on the events with Canada's medal hopefuls, and fair enough every country's broadcaster does this. It's still a pretty weird optic when 90% of the coverage is one gender. At least with the app we can search for other events specifically.

Am I the only one who hasn’t watched one second of the olympics this year? I’ve just had zero desire to watch it, and since the Olympics aren’t all over my timelines I haven’t had any exposure to it even.

I just felt zero hype heading into these summer Olympics.

I’m more of a winter Olympic person anyways

You're definitely not the only one, very few people I know are paying any attention at all. I think this was destined to be the visually worst Olympics ever the moment Covid happened. Delaying the event, tons of uncertainty, back and forth rhetoric on safety, no spectators and debate whether it should even happen. The world has had plenty of other things to focus on and crappy deal for the Tokyo organizers, they've likely lost billions on the Games crashing. The athletes' performances have saved it for me, I am still enjoying what I have watched, and glad this moment in their careers hasn't been completely derailed.

And agreed, the Winter Olympics is just more exciting. I'm sure the authoritarian strong arm of the Chinese regime will literally force a stronger show for Beijing in 2022.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think for me and the Olympics this is the first summer Olympics but I didn’t have cable. Are used to be able to just have it on in the background. That’s definitely part of the reason why I’m not watching as much. I would say though with the circumstances of this one with Covid it’s definitely made it less of an interest for me. Admittedly I do still watch the highlights on YouTube when they come up.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think for me and the Olympics this is the first summer Olympics but I didn’t have cable. Are used to be able to just have it on in the background. That’s definitely part of the reason why I’m not watching as much. I would say though with the circumstances of this one with Covid it’s definitely made it less of an interest for me. Admittedly I do still watch the highlights on YouTube when they come up.
I was going to say this as well. I haven’t had cable for years and the Sportsnet app is absolutely trash for me for how much it crashes etc.

I honestly had no idea the Olympics have been going on since the 23rd of July.

When Instagram accounts like BleacherReport and House of Highlights can’t post anything from the Olympics, you are seriously limiting exposure to these games. I’ve only seen a few things mentioned from the games.

Reactions: racerjoe

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Therefor I saw Canada USA semis for soccer and I am dialed into the game for sure.

It’s at 1am our time?

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Am I the only one who hasn’t watched one second of the olympics this year? I’ve just had zero desire to watch it, and since the Olympics aren’t all over my timelines I haven’t had any exposure to it even.

I just felt zero hype heading into these summer Olympics.

I’m more of a winter Olympic person anyways
For some reason synchronized diving was on at a bar I was at last week. That's the only Olympics I have watched. Canada won silver, though I don't think anyone in the bar gave a crap.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah....1am PST. Really hope they can win this one for Sinclair. Still remember that 2012 farce of a semi finals where the refs completely screwed Canada.
1am on a long weekend is perfect. I’ll either still be at the bar or heading home from the bar.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
CBC sports app has live streams of events. It’s been pretty handy... although I’ve only been watched the skateboarding lol

Reactions: racerjoe

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I went to parents yesterday as we are looking after my mum's cats. They have a TV, so I turn it on. I respect the athleticism of the athletes, but I find solo sports so boring. In fact, most of the summer olympics I find boring. Turns out, I really only like hockey.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Inspiring performance by the womens national football team. This is probably it for Sinclair but she's completely inspired a generation of women to pursue their dreams in football. One of the best athletes to play for Canada.

Hoping they can pull it off against Sweden. Would be amazing to cap off Sinclairs career with Gold.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Not a huge basketball fan by any means...I was wondering what actual basketball fans think of 3v3 basketball in the Olympics?

I understand the significance it has in the US and elsewhere (i.e. everyone can play it, and play it all the time), but to me it seems as weird as them suddenly adding 3v3 hockey in. Sure an extra medal or 2 is great but just seems gratuitous almost.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well had the Kucherov surgery yesterday (hip arthroscopy, femoroplasty and labrum repair). According to the medical experts on these boards I should be back on the ice for games in a couple months. According to the doctor it’ll be January-February but what does he know he was only a team doctor for the Timberwolves and twins for a time.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Some of the replies in this thread are really out there.

Kind of a silly poll, but it's Tyson every time for me.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Such an absurd question it doesn't even deserve a response

No kidding. Anyone who answers LeBron never saw Tyson in his prime. Man was talented, aggressive, viscous, cruel, had unmatched power and anything else you want to put forth. An awesome boxing talent.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Some of the replies in this thread are really out there.

Kind of a silly poll, but it's Tyson every time for me.

wait, is this a body building contest, or some neutral sport they both don’t play, or are they fighting?

if it’s a fight, tyson obviously

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

yeah even at 53 I think he would still win without a doubt. I can’t imagine ever taking a single blow from that man.

052c9f165a8d62eb7bc90afab711d43a.jpg

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I just want to give a shoutout to all the Olympic athletes of the world. Their dedication is unreal, especially when you consider that they're performing pretty much in a vacuum. No fans to give them that extra push, just digging down into their guts, and often breaking records.

The organizers in Tokyo also deserve a lot of credit. The events have been handled with such efficiency and grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad