The Seattle Expansion Draft

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think I might have missed part of this convo...
Who is our 2C if we don't have Little?
Will Chevy be able to get a 2C in the draft?
Wheeler was pretty good as a 2C last year, and might be the best option.

Some metrics...

Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic:

relCF% +3.93
relxGF% +3.65

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
and that ignores the fact that little started the year off with 5 points in 7 games, looked like he was about to have a bounce back year,

He looked like he was leaner than ever in his interviews and it looked to me like he gained a step on the ice. I’m not for getting rid of Little at all, especially at an expense. Just let the man play. If he decides to play again, he’ll be one of the most committed players to the game on and off the ice and that’s a guarantee. The players love him and respect him.

If he comes into next season firing on all cylinders, what kind of impact is that going to have on the rest of the team at an emotional level? His production may go far beyond goals and assists.

Prediction: Little stays a Jet through expansion draft and wins Masterton award

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think I might have missed part of this convo...
Who is our 2C if we don't have Little?
Will Chevy be able to get a 2C in the draft?

I think Little comes back but that still doesn’t guarantee him #2C although I’d like to see what he looks like there with Wheeler and Connor as wingers.

If Little isn’t back the options remain almost identical to last season unless the Jets win the draft and somehow end up with Byfield.

The best option from last year was Wheeler. Most likely option to return to #2C periodically is Copp. The options we should all expect to see more of: Harkins and Roslovic

Eakins is probably not signed. Lowry has no business in the top 6.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
If we protect 4D, then Wheeler waiving won’t help us much.
It’s either 8 players and a goalie or 7 forwards, 3 Defencemen, and a goalie.
If we protect 4D, then we can only protect 4 forwards.
Our best bet is not getting a 4th D and protecting Morrissey, DeMelo, and Pionk.
Then we can protect 7 forwards, ie; Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler, Roslovic, and 1 more.

Jets should be focusing on a 2C, not a 4th D.

I'm focusing on a !D to add over a 2C

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
How in the hell do you see us losing Connopr or Ehlers? Even if we could only protect 5 forwards both are protected even without Wheeler waiving is NMC. There won't be a 4th D to protect that is worth more than than Ehlers or Connor.

You can only protect 4 in my scenario and if Wheeler doesn't waive his NMC than we have to expose Pionk or Demelo. Assuming we sign a stud D this off season

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You can only protect 4 in my scenario and if Wheeler doesn't waive his NMC than we have to expose Pionk or Demelo. Assuming we sign a stud D this off season
Assuming we sign a stud defenseman is a huge leap in faith, and the only true stud is Pietrangelo and it would be up in the $10 M range and even then he doesn't even consider the Jets. But if you did Have Piet and Pionk down the right side no way do you even consider paying what it would cost to keep Demelo for the bottom pair. Even saying all that no team waives a young skilled player like Ehlers or Connor still in their early 20's and signed long term to keep Demelo. Wheeler isn't waiving his NMC, players demand them for a reason.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Am I the only one that fears losing Berdin in the draft? I love Helly.....but I want to see what Berdin continues to grow into as a goalie. I know he would be on the list of players eligible to be taken.

Reactions: Jetsetter

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't think the Jets are in any need whatsoever to make any side deals with Seattle this time around. Little doesn't need to be protected, so there's no need to ask him to waive his clause. If Little is fit to play, then Seattle might just take him anyway if the Jets even expose him in the first place. If he's injured and is LTIR-bound, then the relief will come when we need it. Jets are set up really well to not have to worry about that yet. If the time comes and Little needs to be moved to create space, so be it, but I would not be paying assets right now to do that. It's just not necessary.

In all likelihood, the Jets loose Niku, Berdin or Appleton. I don't want to lose anyone, but those are acceptable losses. In fact, if the Jets don't get another D worthy of protection, Niku may end up protected even. I feel they protect Scheifele, Connor, Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers, Roslovic & Copp up front and Pionk, Morrissey & Niku as of right now. Obviously a lot of time between now and then, trades and signings would definitely change everything. Little could be protected if he has a good year, salary be damned. Copp and Roslovic are/could be trade bate for that D that would occupy the 3rd D spot, Lowry could re-sign before the ED, etc, etc, etc.

Reactions: Huffer

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't think the Jets are in any need whatsoever to make any side deals with Seattle this time around. Little doesn't need to be protected, so there's no need to ask him to waive his clause. If Little is fit to play, then Seattle might just take him anyway if the Jets even expose him in the first place. If he's injured and is LTIR-bound, then the relief will come when we need it. Jets are set up really well to not have to worry about that yet. If the time comes and Little needs to be moved to create space, so be it, but I would not be paying assets right now to do that. It's just not necessary.

In all likelihood, the Jets loose Niku, Berdin or Appleton. I don't want to lose anyone, but those are acceptable losses. In fact, if the Jets don't get another D worthy of protection, Niku may end up protected even. I feel they protect Scheifele, Connor, Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers, Roslovic & Copp up front and Pionk, Morrissey & Niku as of right now. Obviously a lot of time between now and then, trades and signings would definitely change everything. Little could be protected if he has a good year, salary be damned. Copp and Roslovic are/could be trade bate for that D that would occupy the 3rd D spot, Lowry could re-sign before the ED, etc, etc, etc.
Niku over Demelo?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheeler was pretty good as a 2C last year, and might be the best option.

Some metrics...

Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic:

relCF% +3.93
relxGF% +3.65
Maurice won't want Wheeler at center. Didn't he already move him to wing before the season was paused?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Am I the only one that fears losing Berdin in the draft? I love Helly.....but I want to see what Berdin continues to grow into as a goalie. I know he would be on the list of players eligible to be taken.
If it only cost us Berdin I’d be happy. You only need 1 starting goalie and who cares how good the back up is vs Harkins who could be a very good 3rd liner and play every game.

Reactions: RabidOne

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm on the doubtful side of an expansion team taking such an inexperienced goalie. There is a strong likelihood they will select goalies with a much longer track record. Most expansion draft mocks have Seattle taking much more experienced goalies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm on the doubtful side of an expansion team taking such an inexperienced goalie. There is a strong likelihood they will select goalies with a much longer track record. Most expansion draft mocks have Seattle taking much more experienced goalies.

Not to mention taking one that by all appearances is bat shit crazy. Even by goalie standards. :laugh:

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
It seems to me they will take at least 3 goalies, one each for NHL, NHL backup and AHL. If Berdin continues his progress he could easily be in their sights by the time the draft rolls around.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It seems to me they will take at least 3 goalies, one each for NHL, NHL backup and AHL. If Berdin continues his progress he could easily be in their sights by the time the draft rolls around.
There is always the potential to lose Berdin, but most early mocks have much more established goalies being selected. And yes Seattle needs to select at least 3 goalies, though they can only keep 2 on their NHL roster.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
You don’t think kfc should be protected? Despite the fact he was on pace for 80?

I said that he should be protected and that it was crazy that the crowd-sourcing on their site didn't have him protected. No sane person would let a player like that be unprotected.

I was just trying to say that as a hockey site they should have the very basics down for something like that and not allow any glaring errors like that to get through. We're protecting KFC, Avs are protecting Mac, Leafs are protecting Matthews. That's just basic and shouldn't really happen.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Assuming we sign a stud defenseman is a huge leap in faith, and the only true stud is Pietrangelo and it would be up in the $10 M range and even then he doesn't even consider the Jets. But if you did Have Piet and Pionk down the right side no way do you even consider paying what it would cost to keep Demelo for the bottom pair. Even saying all that no team waives a young skilled player like Ehlers or Connor still in their early 20's and signed long term to keep Demelo. Wheeler isn't waiving his NMC, players demand them for a reason.

No way we expose Ehlers or Connor. Again if Wheeler doesn't waive like you said then we lose a D and get stuck with a 35 year old making over 8 mill a year for a few years

We had the best goalie in NHL this year and still finished 20th or 11th worst. We need to improve our D

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Seems pretty straight forward, no?

Wheeler
Scheifele
Laine
Ehlers
Connor
Copp
Roslovic

Morrissey
Pionk
DeMelo (assuming re-signed)

Hellebuyck
Agree. I think there's a possibility that Roslovic gets moved in a trade and Lowry gets extended, in which case I'd add Lowry in the list for Roslovic.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Agree. I think there's a possibility that Roslovic gets moved in a trade and Lowry gets extended, in which case I'd add Lowry in the list for Roslovic.
Yup. Roslovic/Lowry will be the only question mark. I suspect TNSE will lean Lowry, but a lot can change in a year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup. Roslovic/Lowry will be the only question mark. I suspect TNSE will lean Lowry, but a lot can change in a year.
They have the luxury of leaving Lowry unprotected as a UFA and re-signing him after the expansion draft. Seattle wouldn't waste a pick on a UFA. The Jets could have already negotiated a new contract with Lowry but leave it unsigned until after the expansion draft, if Lowry wants to stay with the Jets. That way the Jets could protect an extra forward like Roslovic, Appleton or Harkins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad