The Seattle Expansion Draft

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
We'll see what happens during Lowry negotiations, Copp I would keep as well over one of them for sure as he's still an RFA when his contract is up at the end of that year. I'd probably use some our young guys (Stanley, Harkins, Apples, Rosie) to try and move Little's cap out as well to Seattle. We'll know more about what kind of situation he is dealing with by then.

Use our recovered cap to try and go after a top 6 or potential top 6C on a team that will have issues keeping everyone. There has to be at least one team with a guy that could be a fit that will be stuck between a rock and a hard place.
And watch as the player you trade goes onto to do better. Ppl are still bringing up Armia. Also some young guys and old guys ppl didn’t give enough credit to, went on to do great in Vegas. What potential top 6 centres are available? Definitely not Cirelli for what we’d offer or RNH or likely Domi. I still see Harkins or Apple becoming a top 6 centre or an elite bottom 6 player.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And watch as the player you trade goes onto to do better. Ppl are still bringing up Armia. Also some young guys and old guys ppl didn’t give enough credit to, went on to do great in Vegas. What potential top 6 centres are available? Definitely not Cirelli for what we’d offer or RNH or likely Domi.

Hard to say come expansion draft time and the player movement that could (big word there is COULD) happen by the end of next season. We'd have to find a team that is cornered and has a player we are interested in that they can't keep and are willing to move entirely for futures, as they likely can't take on anyone they would need to protect anyways. I'd have no issues offering up prospects and picks for the right guy. Who knows maybe we end up with Sanderson from this draft and someone else becomes expendable. You always have to give to get, sometimes you get burnt sometimes you don't.

The Blues basically gave up Farabee and Frost for Schenn. Both teams are likely happy with that move at least for now. We'd need to be a bit more aggressive then usual but I think with the right moves we could come out of this ED with a Top 6 C, our best players and a chance at being a contender.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hard to say come expansion draft time and the player movement that could (big word there is COULD) happen by the end of next season. We'd have to find a team that is cornered and has a player we are interested in that they can't keep and are willing to move entirely for futures, as they likely can't take on anyone they would need to protect anyways. I'd have no issues offering up prospects and picks for the right guy. Who knows maybe we end up with Sanderson from this draft and someone else becomes expendable. You always have to give to get, sometimes you get burnt sometimes you don't.

The Blues basically gave up Farabee and Frost for Schenn. Both teams are likely happy with that move at least for now. We'd need to be a bit more aggressive then usual but I think with the right moves we could come out of this ED with a Top 6 C, our best players and a chance at being a contender.
That’s a lot of futures. That’s futures to get rid of Little who is still serviceable, then that’s futures to get that 2c. Frost already looks better than Schenn. We just give up Ehlers for a 2c + or Connor for a 2c and a 1st.
let Seattle pick whoever they want. Then you have the cap space from Buff. That way you just give up two pieces, solve all your problems and look good in the future.

Esl
V2c w
Harkins Little Apple
Copp Lowry x

assuming Seattle wants roslo, if not Harkins or Apple. Then pay Laine a team friendly 9-10 as he hasn’t exactly scored 40 + goals any season other than his rookie season.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That’s a lot of futures. That’s futures to get rid of Little who is still serviceable, then that’s futures to get that 2c. Frost already looks better than Schenn. We just give up Ehlers for a 2c + let Seattle pick whoever they want. Then you have the cap space from Buff. That way you just give up two pieces, solve all your problems and look good in the future.

We don't need to give up Ehlers for a 2C. I'd much rather keep our best players and add to them then keep our prospects and hope they develop into players of that calibre. Not a single one of our forward prospects has the upside of Ehlers and bottom 6 players can be found basically anywhere and without giving up much value. I get that young guys are fun to watch develop but I don't see Harkins, Apples, Rosie, Copp, Spacek, Gus or any of those kids coming anywhere close to the player Ehlers currently is, let alone will be.

Little is obviously not our answer at 2C and if he isn't playing 2C when we get one then he's a 3rd liner at best on this team and that is not worth $5m a year. People seem to be attached to the player Little was, not the player Little currently is. Move on and use that cap to acquire someone who can be a good player for us.

You don't win Cups without making some moves. Chicago, Boston, LA, Pittsburgh, Washington and St. Louis all got aggressive to push their teams to contender status. We won't touch a Cup without retooling and adding players. The closest we came was when we added Stastny. The Hayes trade was a mistake as he just wasn't a fit. If we do get aggressive we have to make sure the players will gel together. Getting a top 6C capable of dishing the puck is the single biggest priority this team should have IMO.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
We don't need to give up Ehlers for a 2C. I'd much rather keep our best players and add to them then keep our prospects and hope they develop into players of that calibre. Not a single one of our forward prospects has the upside of Ehlers and bottom 6 players can be found basically anywhere and without giving up much value. I get that young guys are fun to watch develop but I don't see Harkins, Apples, Rosie, Copp, Spacek, Gus or any of those kids coming anywhere close to the player Ehlers currently is, let alone will be.

Little is obviously not our answer at 2C and if he isn't playing 2C when we get one then he's a 3rd liner at best on this team and that is not worth $5m a year. People seem to be attached to the player Little was, not the player Little currently is. Move on and use that cap to acquire someone who can be a good player for us.

You don't win Cups without making some moves. Chicago, Boston, LA, Pittsburgh, Washington and St. Louis all got aggressive to push their teams to contender status. We won't touch a Cup without retooling and adding players. The closest we came was when we added Stastny. The Hayes trade was a mistake as he just wasn't a fit. If we do get aggressive we have to make sure the players will gel together. Getting a top 6C capable of dishing the puck is the single biggest priority this team should have IMO.
All those cities also knew they could go for it and recruit ufa as everyone wants to play for those teams but not us. Gus could be a 2c. Ehlers hasn’t exactly been a 70 + pt guy with higher scoring in the nhl. I think Ves can be a top 6 guy.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
All those cities also knew they could go for it and recruit ufa as everyone wants to play for those teams but not us. Gus could be a 2c. Ehlers hasn’t exactly been a 70 + pt guy with higher scoring in the nhl. I think Ves can be a top 6 guy.

Ves hasn't really shown anything on this side of the pond to date and Gus may have very limited 2C upside but more likely bottom 6. I'd much rather keep the player who are bar non the best entry exit player on this team by a significant margin.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ves hasn't really shown anything on this side of the pond to date and Gus may have very limited 2C upside but more likely bottom 6. I'd much rather keep the player who are bar non the best entry exit player on this team by a significant margin.
Best had a sneaky good second half with the Moose. His trajectory is a bit like Harkins, who had a year with a good second half and then a really big year last year. I think next season will let us know what KV will become.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Best had a sneaky good second half with the Moose. His trajectory is a bit like Harkins, who had a year with a good second half and then a really big year last year. I think next season will let us know what KV will become.

The org has completely rebuilt Ves's game so imo it isn't that surprising that there was growing pains early in the year. He looked much better in the second half and if he can add another step of quickness and a bit more strength before next year then he will be able to do what he wants to do on the ice.

Reactions: Whileee

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I think there are too many variables between now and then to try and figure out who to protect. If there are CBOs allowed this off season, that will have a pretty big impact. If the cap stays flat like they say it will, we could see a lot of moves this offseason and might see teams like Ottawa taking cap dumps for futures. Rosters could(should) look quite different between now and the ED.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Wheels
Schiefele
Connor
Laine
Ehlers
Xxxxx
Xxxxx

LOWRY ......gone as a Ufa..... do not want to pay his expected ask.... we trade him at the deadline if we are not in the playoffs..... big dominant center could get a late first......
Copp .... left available for expansion draft as he would be an un-signed RfA with 1 year left b4UFA wanting to double his current salary. IF HE IS NOT SELECTED WE TRADE HIM AT DRAFT A FEW DAYS LATER
LITTLE ......is exposed to draft and we hope they take him.... they will not

Final 2 forward spots go to the best of
Rozlo
Apples
Harkins
( best of is determined on how they progress next year)
-all 3 are RFAS this summer and all should sign 2 year contracts at 1 mill per ( Rozlo may get a little more).

Gus/ Vesa -Laine exempt

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
All teams should collude and agree not to try and pay off Seattle with draft picks and just let them pick one player off their roster after protecting 7/3/1.

Vegas did better getting multiple assets than they would have by just selecting one player per team. They had 3 first round picks that year in the top 15.

If they were forced to pick 30 players ( Vegas is exempt)...... all of these players will be waiver eligible the following year. They would be forced to waive 7 of these players getting down to a 23 man Roster. They would likely try an trade some at the draft or over the summer.....but that would be less than what they could swing by making deals for multiple assets.

Protect your players 7-3-1 and let the chips fall were they fall,

With my protected list from previous post we lose 1 of..... ( players we expose)

- 1 year of Copp who is a rfa unsigned and wanting a big pay day
- Stanley
- Berdin
-Niku
-Little

- we trade one @ the trade deadline of Rozlo...Apples... or Harkins for draft pick value/ or a pending Ufa veteran to help our playoff push and keep the other 2 protected

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Laine
Ehlers
Connor

Pionk
Morrisey
Demelo (priority 2 this off season)
Stud D (priority 1 this off season

Helly

This assumes Chevy signs a good/great D with Buff money. So we need to keep all 4 D

Than easy decision to dump Wheeler He will be 35 when that season starts making 8.25 mill. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle passes on him to take someone else

Reactions: EnglishJet

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Scheifele
Wheeler
Laine
Connor
Ehlers
Copp
Lowry

Morrissey
Pionk
DeMelo

Hellebuyck

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I was bored and ran a mock Expansion draft. Jets lost Berdin as Seattles 3rd stringer (they also got Raanta and Murray).

I guess you protect who you love most and you can never assume what the other team will do. Guys like Copp, Harkins or Lowry are great, but there’s dozens of prototypes just like them who will be available in the expansion draft (in this mock B. Lemieux, Cizikas, Frederic were taken). I guess it’s not always BPA from each team that gets drafted, as the expanding team needs to juggle several competing variables.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Laine
Ehlers
Connor

Pionk
Morrisey
Demelo (priority 2 this off season)
Stud D (priority 1 this off season

Helly

This assumes Chevy signs a good/great D with Buff money. So we need to keep all 4 D

Than easy decision to dump Wheeler He will be 35 when that season starts making 8.25 mill. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle passes on him to take someone else
Wheelerer has an NMC so he hass to be protected.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
All teams should collude and agree not to try and pay off Seattle with draft picks and just let them pick one player off their roster after protecting 7/3/1.
Hopefully the GMs have learned from their mistakes. I don't think you will see any drafts picks being traded unless a salary dump is attached to the pick.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You think Appleton is a run of the mill bottom six?
Is that how he won AHL Rookie of the year? By being a run of the mill bottom six tweener?

I think Appleton has a TON of upside. I think he had some trouble getting back to form after the foot injury and his slow start this season was rounding into form in the last 10 games. For a rookie coming off an injury I think he looked pretty good.

I'm not sure I want to pay Lowry what he's gonna ask for.
Winning AHL rookie of the year is no guarantee of NHL success. While there are a few gems in there, the majority of them are middle and bottom of the roster guys and there is more than a few career AHLers. Appleton will likely be in the group of guys on the bubble of being exposed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Winning AHL rookie of the year is no guarantee of NHL success. While there are a few gems in there, the majority of them are middle and bottom of the roster guys and there is more than a few career AHLers. Appleton will likely be in the group of guys on the bubble of being exposed.
My guess is that the Jets will focus on keeping Copp and Lowry from their bottom 6 forwards. Copp is their most valuable forward outside of their top 5, and Lowry is likely still seen as a key shutdown C and PK leader.

I think they are likely to trade Roslovic either in the off-season or before the expansion draft, unless he has a breakthrough season next year (preferably as a 2C).

I think there is a possibility that the Jets leave Lowry unsigned until after the expansion draft, with the intention of signing him thereafter. In that case, I think they would protect Roslovic (if they keep him) or Appleton.

I doubt that they protect Little, unless he has a remarkable bounce-back next season from his injury etc.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My guess is that the Jets will focus on keeping Copp and Lowry from their bottom 6 forwards. Copp is their most valuable forward outside of their top 5, and Lowry is likely still seen as a key shutdown C and PK leader.

I think they are likely to trade Roslovic either in the off-season or before the expansion draft, unless he has a breakthrough season next year (preferably as a 2C).

I think there is a possibility that the Jets leave Lowry unsigned until after the expansion draft, with the intention of signing him thereafter. In that case, I think they would protect Roslovic (if they keep him) or Appleton.

I doubt that they protect Little, unless he has a remarkable bounce-back next season from his injury etc.
Copp signing is a bit of a question mark. If it looks like he will go to arbitration do you move him prior to the XD? The one thing I think happens this time around is that the GM's will trade among themselves to best position their rosters prior to the XD roster freeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think we're going to have to do a trade.

Start with exposing Little or getting him to waive, then trade a prospect along with a 1st and 3rd to Seattle in order for them to select Bryan Little. I'm all in for that considering we shed salary.

That or they'd likely take Appleton if no trade happens. Or DeMelo.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Start with exposing Little or getting him to waive, then trade a prospect along with a 1st and 3rd to Seattle in order for them to select Bryan Little. I'm all in for that considering we shed salary.

Way better for Seattle to take Appleton or even DeMelo assuming we sign him and have a 3rd defenseman worth keeping more than him, then to pay the colossal price of a prospect, 1st and a 3rd to select Little.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Littles NMC turns into a modified NTC at the end of this year so we don't need his permission to expose him this time around. I say we sweeten the pot and get Seattle to take him. Frees up some cap. Hes likely playing in our bottom 6 anyways and 5m is to much to pay a 3rd liner. I don't think we would even need to add a first rounder. We might be able to get away with Copp if he is causing issues extending or a group of prospects like Spacek, Stanley and a 2nd.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You want to give a 1st, a 3rd, and a prospect so they can take our best 2C? Wow...
I don't think you read my post correctly. I Don't want to give away any prospects and certainly not high draft picks for Seattle to pick anyone. IMO many teams screwed themselves over trying to mitigate damage to LV. Just protect your 7 most valuable forwards and 3 top defenseman and let Seattle pick away. If you feel you are giving up too much make a trade or 2 before hand to put yourself in the best position possible.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think you read my post correctly. I Don't want to give away any prospects and certainly not high draft picks for Seattle to pick anyone. IMO many teams screwed themselves over trying to mitigate damage to LV. Just protect your 7 most valuable forwards and 3 top defenseman and let Seattle pick away. If you feel you are giving up too much make a trade or 2 before hand to put yourself in the best position possible.

Exactly, they can only take one player. By the looks of it they are going to get from us a bottom 6 forward, Niku or Berdin. Just let them have their pick and be done with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad