The Seattle Expansion Draft

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Exactly, they can only take one player. By the looks of it they are going to get from us a bottom 6 forward, Niku or Berdin. Just let them have their pick and be done with it.
The point is to pay them to take Little.
It’s like sending picks or players with a cap dump... and Little is a cap dump, not a 2C.
Personally, I wouldn't give our 1st, but if we go into the expansion draft as we are now, then yeah, I’d pay Seattle to take Little.

Reactions: hn777

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Wheelerer has an NMC so he hass to be protected.
Maybe our leader sacrifices himself knowing that his salary won't be picked up so we don't lose a connor/ehlers. Or maybe he wants to play in USA. Still have a year out. I just hope we have 4D we want to protect

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Maybe our leader sacrifices himself knowing that his salary won't be picked up so we don't lose a connor/ehlers. Or maybe he wants to play in USA. Still have a year out. I just hope we have 4D we want to protect
If we protect 4D, then Wheeler waiving won’t help us much.
It’s either 8 players and a goalie or 7 forwards, 3 Defencemen, and a goalie.
If we protect 4D, then we can only protect 4 forwards.
Our best bet is not getting a 4th D and protecting Morrissey, DeMelo, and Pionk.
Then we can protect 7 forwards, ie; Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler, Roslovic, and 1 more.

Jets should be focusing on a 2C, not a 4th D.

Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If we protect 4D, then Wheeler waiving won’t help us much.
It’s either 8 players and a goalie or 7 forwards, 3 Defencemen, and a goalie.
If we protect 4D, then we can only protect 4 forwards.
Our best bet is not getting a 4th D and protecting Morrissey, DeMelo, and Pionk.
Then we can protect 7 forwards, ie; Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler, Roslovic, and 1 more.

Jets should be focusing on a 2C, not a 4th D.
I think it's okay to get another D through free agency, as long as the Jets don't need to protect him (with an NMC). They could use another top-4 D for next season, even if they lose him in the expansion draft. In fact, that might be the least costly solution for the Jets. Suppose they sign a UFA defenseman like Dillon for next year, and then leave him unprotected and lose him in the expansion draft. They would have had him for 1 year while Samberg and Heinola continue to develop into top-4 options on D, and if he is taken by Seattle in the expansion draft the Jets don't lose any other core players.

But I agree the Jets shouldn't spend a lot of assets to acquire a D via trade, only to lose him in the expansion draft.

Reactions: hn777 and BatVader

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it's okay to get another D through free agency, as long as the Jets don't need to protect him (with an NMC). They could use another top-4 D for next season, even if they lose him in the expansion draft. In fact, that might be the least costly solution for the Jets. Suppose they sign a UFA defenseman like Dillon for next year, and then leave him unprotected and lose him in the expansion draft. They would have had him for 1 year while Samberg and Heinola continue to develop into top-4 options on D, and if he is taken by Seattle in the expansion draft the Jets don't lose any other core players.

But I agree the Jets shouldn't spend a lot of assets to acquire a D via trade, only to lose him in the expansion draft.

Not a bad solution.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I keep Copp over Appleton and probably Roslovic. I keep Lowry over Appleton at this point.

IMO, wildcard if Copp is even willing to sign long term here. The stats for those who do through ARB are pretty astounding.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
How in the hell do you see us losing Connopr or Ehlers? Even if we could only protect 5 forwards both are protected even without Wheeler waiving is NMC. There won't be a 4th D to protect that is worth more than than Ehlers or Connor.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
The point is to pay them to take Little.
It’s like sending picks or players with a cap dump... and Little is a cap dump, not a 2C.
Personally, I wouldn't give our 1st, but if we go into the expansion draft as we are now, then yeah, I’d pay Seattle to take Little.

What's the going rate to draft an injured player who might never play again?

Because I'd want at least a first and a player/prospect. I hold all the cards as Seattle and you have no leverage....tell you what give me a first and a second and a prospect. no? now the deal is two prospects...how bad do you want me to take him? I really like that Lowry kid think I'll take him instead... I've got better offers from Chicago and Pheonix anyway......"

you see where that ends up?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What's the going rate to draft an injured player who might never play again?

Because I'd want at least a first and a player/prospect. I hold all the cards as Seattle and you have no leverage....tell you what give me a first and a second and a prospect. no? now the deal is two prospects...how bad do you want me to take him? I really like that Lowry kid think I'll take him instead... I've got better offers from Chicago and Pheonix anyway......"

you see where that ends up?

I'd try and keep the first if he can't play and just offer up a group of maybe's. Between Stanley, Green, Harkins, Rosie, Appleton, Niku, Spacek, McKenzie, Nikkanen, Wong, Blaisdell there has to be some combo of guys that would work to have them take Little's LTIR off our hands.

I think you ask them what they want and go from there. We don't have too move Little. So Seattle doesn't have us between a rock and a hard place. We don't have to protect him. The idea here is that they help us and we help them. They can't strong arm us into anything because we don't need them to help us. We can still manage to navigate the cap without them even if it remains stagnant at least for now.

Lowry will be a UFA then so go ahead and take him and watch him sign with another team when he becomes a free agent less than a month later. Potentially even us.

The only guys that will really be exposed currently under contract or RFA's are potentially for forwards; Copp, Roslovic, Harkins, Appleton, Spacek, Little and Suess. And defencemen; Stanley, Niku, Dahlstrom, Green and Nogier. And for goalies Berdin and Comrie.

And we can protect at least 2 of the forwards and depending whose under contract we either protect DeMelo or one of those defencemen listed. So they aren't likely getting a high end player out of us and if Little is on LTIR then they likely won't take him at all and we are just sitting on opened cap but dead money. Something teams up against the cap are always willing to take on. A team like Toronto would likely pay us something to have that contract with a late pick going back similar to their Clarkson deal, it wasn't much but it was something and allowed them to go over the cap a little.

We could easily sweeten the pot for Seattle. If Copp is angling for free agency or a trade we can move him to Seattle instead of protecting him if they take Little. Otherwise we can offer up more than one of the exposed players to have them take Little. Either you get someone like Harkins or we give you Harkins AND Stanley to take Little and then you can flip Little to a cap strapped team if he can't play or if he can you keep him. Seattle stands to gain far more by dealing with us with Little or they can just take one player. Either way Seattle really has no power over us.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd try and keep the first if he can't play and just offer up a group of maybe's. Between Stanley, Green, Harkins, Rosie, Appleton, Niku, Spacek, McKenzie, Nikkanen, Wong, Blaisdell there has to be some combo of guys that would work to have them take Little's LTIR off our hands.

I think you ask them what they want and go from there. We don't have too move Little. So Seattle doesn't have us between a rock and a hard place. We don't have to protect him. The idea here is that they help us and we help them. They can't strong arm us into anything because we don't need them to help us. We can still manage to navigate the cap without them even if it remains stagnant at least for now.

Lowry will be a UFA then so go ahead and take him and watch him sign with another team when he becomes a free agent less than a month later. Potentially even us.

The only guys that will really be exposed currently under contract or RFA's are potentially for forwards; Copp, Roslovic, Harkins, Appleton, Spacek, Little and Suess. And defencemen; Stanley, Niku, Dahlstrom, Green and Nogier. And for goalies Berdin and Comrie.

And we can protect at least 2 of the forwards and depending whose under contract we either protect DeMelo or one of those defencemen listed. So they aren't likely getting a high end player out of us and if Little is on LTIR then they likely won't take him at all and we are just sitting on opened cap but dead money. Something teams up against the cap are always willing to take on. A team like Toronto would likely pay us something to have that contract with a late pick going back similar to their Clarkson deal, it wasn't much but it was something and allowed them to go over the cap a little.

We could easily sweeten the pot for Seattle. If Copp is angling for free agency or a trade we can move him to Seattle instead of protecting him if they take Little. Otherwise we can offer up more than one of the exposed players to have them take Little. Either you get someone like Harkins or we give you Harkins AND Stanley to take Little and then you can flip Little to a cap strapped team if he can't play or if he can you keep him. Seattle stands to gain far more by dealing with us with Little or they can just take one player. Either way Seattle really has no power over us.
That's the key IMO. You don't let Seattle have any power over you. They take someone off our unprotected list or lets make a mutually beneficial deal.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

I get al that. I just don't see where Seattle takes little. where's the value? where is the "help" you speak of. If I take little what do I get...according to any scenario you offer I don't get enough to take him.

If I was Seatlle's GM there is no way I'd even talk about Little. the price I'd as to take him off your hands would be so high. that if Chevy pays it I'd want him run out of town. (and I like Little and think he's better than a lot of people give him credit for).
I jus don't see him going to Seattle.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I get al that. I just don't see where Seattle takes little. where's the value? where is the "help" you speak of. If I take little what do I get...according to any scenario you offer I don't get enough to take him.

If I was Seatlle's GM there is no way I'd even talk about Little. the price I'd as to take him off your hands would be so high. that if Chevy pays it I'd want him run out of town. (and I like Little and think he's better than a lot of people give him credit for).
I jus don't see him going to Seattle.

That's the thing though. Either take Little off of our hands and get something extra or don't and get nothing extra. Especially if he's on LTIR we still have the space and Seattle still only gets one player. If he isn't on LTIR well then you still only get one player and we just keep Little for the time being. We can still effectively navigate the cap with him under contract. The ball will be in Seattle's court if they want to walk away with just one player they want or multiple. But the line stops at our top prospects and 1st round picks.

Reactions: BatVader

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's the key IMO. You don't let Seattle have any power over you. They take someone off our unprotected list or lets make a mutually beneficial deal.

Yeah it's pretty simple. They could walk away with 2 or 3 players or they can walk away with one. Don't want to help us? Okay fine just take one and go.

Reactions: BatVader

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Yeah it's pretty simple. They could walk away with 2 or 3 players or they can walk away with one. Don't want to help us? Okay fine just take one and go.

So now we give them three players? little plus 2? No thanks.....

Maybe I'm wrong but Think a lot of the little hate is undeserved and is just more of the same "noisy fans need a whipping boy everybody pile on" and it doesn't really have much to do with what is really happening on the Ice or in the room. I think Brian for a number of reasons had a bt of a struggle last year, some of the was youthful teammates who didn't always play well together with or without him, some of it was Little himself, and I think some of it was things outside Hockey distracting him......

I'm not saying he's gonna get 2C minutes on a healthy team...but he's a pretty good option for 3/4C and can move up and down the lineup. Even in his down years his face-off numbers are pretty good ... I'd also like to point out that in virtually the same amount of games this year he has one more point than Eakin who everyone seems to be very hot to re-sign here.... and that for his point value and his flexibility...his comparable pay wise in the league aren't exactly blowing him out of the water.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A) I have doubts that Little goes on LTIR. He was working his way back to play.

B) If he does, I don't think Seattle will take him except at a high cost if he's LTIR.

C) I don't think the Jets need him gone for salary purposes if he's on LTIR. It would limit them a bit, but not that much because they can go 10% over the cap in the off-season in any case.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So now we give them three players? little plus 2? No thanks.....

Maybe I'm wrong but Think a lot of the little hate is undeserved and is just more of the same "noisy fans need a whipping boy everybody pile on" and it doesn't really have much to do with what is really happening on the Ice or in the room. I think Brian for a number of reasons had a bt of a struggle last year, some of the was youthful teammates who didn't always play well together with or without him, some of it was Little himself, and I think some of it was things outside Hockey distracting him......

I'm not saying he's gonna get 2C minutes on a healthy team...but he's a pretty good option for 3/4C and can move up and down the lineup. Even in his down years his face-off numbers are pretty good ... I'd also like to point out that in virtually the same amount of games this year he has one more point than Eakin who everyone seems to be very hot to re-sign here.... and that for his point value and his flexibility...his comparable pay wise in the league aren't exactly blowing him out of the water.

Well if Little can't play then we are basically just saving money. For a small market team that is always a plus. If he can play then he is likely on our 3rd line at best, especially if we acquire a 2C so now we are paying $5m for a 3rd line player that might not even play center, not worth it no matter how much we love Little. Those extra two players are not guaranteed to become anything special likely. You never make it anywhere in this league sitting on your hands and waiting for things to happen.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A) I have doubts that Little goes on LTIR. He was working his way back to play.

B) If he does, I don't think Seattle will take him except at a high cost if he's LTIR.

C) I don't think the Jets need him gone for salary purposes if he's on LTIR. It would limit them a bit, but not that much because they can go 10% over the cap in the off-season in any case.

A) No way to know until he's cleared.

B) Seattle can either take him or not, it really doesn't matter but if they don't they get nothing extra. Getting an extra prospect to add to the cupboard of an expansion team will likely be something they are keen on.

C) If he's on LTIR it won't matter much but the Jets aren't likely going to be a team that will be frivolous with their spending. If Seattle doesn't take him I seriously doubt they hold onto him anyways if he's on LTIR. You can basically guarantee that they will move him to someone at some point.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Anyone use the quick protect "crowd sourced" consensus protected list on capfriendly? Kadri is protected over MacKinnon. Am I missing something?

I just looked it over and there's some pretty funny omissions. MacKinnon, KFC, Matthews, Ghost being protected over P. Myers, Markstrom over Demko, UFA Holtby over Sansonov... They'd be better off trying to find a fan for each team to submit a list and then alter it for crowd sourcing from there based on the changes people made.

On any list for the Jets KFC gets protected, so that just shouldn't happen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I just looked it over and there's some pretty funny omissions. MacKinnon, KFC, Matthews, Ghost being protected over P. Myers, Markstrom over Demko, UFA Holtby over Sansonov... They'd be better off trying to find a fan for each team to submit a list and then alter it for crowd sourcing from there based on the changes people made.

Maybe the "crowd" that's being sourced is comprised mostly of Seattle fans...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

You don’t think kfc should be protected? Despite the fact he was on pace for 80?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think I might have missed part of this convo...
Who is our 2C if we don't have Little?
Will Chevy be able to get a 2C in the draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad