The Seattle Expansion Draft

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No way we expose Ehlers or Connor. Again if Wheeler doesn't waive like you said then we lose a D and get stuck with a 35 year old making over 8 mill a year for a few years

We had the best goalie in NHL this year and still finished 20th or 11th worst. We need to improve our D
We only have 3 defenseman worth protecting. Morrissey, Pionk and DeMelo (if signed). If the organization lays out big money for a UFA D-Man then they aren't resigning DeMelo. They will go 7-3-1 like the majority of teams and Wheeler would be on that list.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We only have 3 defenseman worth protecting. Morrissey, Pionk and DeMelo (if signed). If the organization lays out big money for a UFA D-Man then they aren't resigning DeMelo. They will go 7-3-1 like the majority of teams and Wheeler would be on that list.
Jets could go for DeMelo and another similar UFA D like Dillon. Protect DeMelo in the expansion draft and let the other UFA D go. It provides for a stronger D next season and another year for Samberg and / or Heinola to develop into top 4 D options.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Very good point ... I totally agree. This is going to be a very interesting FA period this season too. GMs are going to have to factor in the Seattle expansion list and no knows what the covid-19 effect will have on the salary cap.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Very good point ... I totally agree. This is going to be a very interesting FA period this season too. GMs are going to have to factor in the Seattle expansion list and no knows what the covid-19 effect will have on the salary cap.

COVID19 should be used as a selling point by Chevy with UFAs.

Come to Winnipeg: You're far less likely to die here. :laugh:

Reactions: Jetsetter and buggs

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
They have the luxury of leaving Lowry unprotected as a UFA and re-signing him after the expansion draft. Seattle wouldn't waste a pick on a UFA. The Jets could have already negotiated a new contract with Lowry but leave it unsigned until after the expansion draft, if Lowry wants to stay with the Jets. That way the Jets could protect an extra forward like Roslovic, Appleton or Harkins.
The Jets could have done this with the Vegas draft with regards to Perreault. He was UFA heading into that draft, but they signed him early and had to protect him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets could have done this with the Vegas draft with regards to Perreault. He was UFA heading into that draft, but they signed him early and had to protect him.
Yes, he was signed to an extension a year before he became eligible for UFA. I expect the Jets will do the same with Lowry, but if not, then they would have the option of signing him to an extension after the expansion draft. It would add a lot of risk to Lowry, and perhaps considerable risk to the Jets (that he would leave as UFA), so I think they will try to re-sign him earlier and protect him in the draft. That's why I expect that the Jets are most likely to move Roslovic sometime between now and the expansion draft. I think they'll value Copp and Lowry more than him, and Roslovic might be a good trade chip to bring back futures or a roster player to strengthen areas of weakness like RHD.

Reactions: ps241 and Oilpeg

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Yes, he was signed to an extension a year before he became eligible for UFA. I expect the Jets will do the same with Lowry, but if not, then they would have the option of signing him to an extension after the expansion draft. It would add a lot of risk to Lowry, and perhaps considerable risk to the Jets (that he would leave as UFA), so I think they will try to re-sign him earlier and protect him in the draft. That's why I expect that the Jets are most likely to move Roslovic sometime between now and the expansion draft. I think they'll value Copp and Lowry more than him, and Roslovic might be a good trade chip to bring back futures or a roster player to strengthen areas of weakness like RHD.
Agreed 100%

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016

After taking the Jets to arbitration I'm not sure Copp wants to be here long term. It might have something to do with PM sitting him for game 5 of the western conference final. I think that really hurt him. Then again I could be completely mistaken.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
After taking the Jets to arbitration I'm not sure Copp wants to be here long term. It might have something to do with PM sitting him for game 5 of the western conference final. I think that really hurt him. Then again I could be completely mistaken.
I think it has more to do with his agent and his approach. I think that if the Jets settle Copp into a key role and give him a nice long term offer he'll be happy to stay.

Reactions: ps241 and KingBogo

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I think it has more to do with his agent and his approach. I think that if the Jets settle Copp into a key role and give him a nice long term offer he'll be happy to stay.
I also hope you're right. I know the player dictates what happens rather than the agent but this still makes me queasy going forward. I like Copp and would really like to keep him but I'm unsure if he's been happy with the role he's been assigned.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I think we are in for a rebuilding year and Copp Lowry/Frenchie will traded at the deadline for draft assets. This will set us to be better protected at expansion draft.

2 of the will be UFA and Copp will be a 1 year left RFA. Wanting to double his Salary.

Also.....trade Laine at or b4 the expansion draft/Draft with 2 years left of team control..... if his contract demands are outrageous.

There will be a lot more movement at this expansion draft .... as many GMs were played by Vegas in the 1 st expansion.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think we are in for a rebuilding year and Copp Lowry/Frenchie will traded at the deadline for draft assets. This will set us to be better protected at expansion draft.

2 of the will be UFA and Copp will be a 1 year left RFA. Wanting to double his Salary.
I highly doubt that the Jets will trade Copp or Lowry. I think they feature in the medium to long-term plans. Copp will only get "double" his salary if he earns it, which would mean he's capable of playing 2C full-time. Otherwise, he'll be an affordable and effective middle-6 forward.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I highly doubt that the Jets will trade Copp or Lowry. I think they feature in the medium to long-term plans. Copp will only get "double" his salary if he earns it, which would mean he's capable of playing 2C full-time. Otherwise, he'll be an affordable and effective middle-6 forward.

“Doubters are going to highly doubt” (Taylor Swift next hit song)......

Does not mean it’s not going to happen or should happen. Let’s wait a year and find out.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I agree unless Rosie has one of those holy shit I didn’t see that coming seasons. He certainly has some high end tools. I think last year there were high expectations on him and next season I really don’t feel that any more.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree unless Rosie has one of those holy shit I didn’t see that coming seasons. He certainly has some high end tools. I think last year there were high expectations on him and next season I really don’t feel that any more.

I would let him play center, he looks better there. We also need long term center solutions so what is the harm there.

I know the Jets like Lowry but I worry we are going to get a big contract for an offensively challenged player moving forward. Personally I think the org needs to choose either Copp or Lowry for that 3C position and move the other one before the draft.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I would let him play center, he looks better there. We also need long term center solutions so what is the harm there.

I know the Jets like Lowry but I worry we are going to get a big contract for an offensively challenged player moving forward. Personally I think the org needs to choose either Copp or Lowry for that 3C position and move the other one before the draft.
I agree. I like Lowry's game but if the past is anything to go by he's going to get a big contract for a guy that scores 20 points a year. While I'm big on underlying numbers at the end of the day the object of the game is to put the puck in the net and he's never going to be more than what he is and likely only decline.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I can't see Chevy giving Lowry more than 3.25-3.5m a year.
He is worth that. He is in his prime.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I can't see Chevy giving Lowry more than 3.25-3.5m a year.
He is worth that. He is in his prime.
Based on the NHL market, Lowry is going to command closer to $4M as a UFA.

Looking at some comparables in Evolving Hockey's contract projections:

Namestnikov: 4 x $4.2M
Janmark: 4 x $3.58M
Nieto: 4 x $3.5M

Lowry produces offense at a rate comparable to Janmark and Nieto (and below Namestnikov), but he is a very strong defensive C, with a big PK role and brings a physical presence.

Here's a comparison of impact on shot metrics and goals between Lowry and Janmark. Lowry has better metrics at 5v5, along with his other contributions.

upload_2020-5-28_11-32-28.png

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Do players on long term injury reserve need to be protected? Can they be made available? Specifically thinking about Little - unlikely he would be taken if made available, but does he have to be protected if he goes on LTIR?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do players on long term injury reserve need to be protected? Can they be made available? Specifically thinking about Little - unlikely he would be taken if made available, but does he have to be protected if he goes on LTIR?
I doubt he would be eligible if he's on LTIR, and he certainly wouldn't be selected. I don't think the Jets would need to protect him. It probably just means that the Jets would need to have another eligible forward available, which shouldn't be much of an issue.

Regardless of his injury status, I would be surprised if the Jets would protect Little. His injury situation would make that even less likely.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I doubt he would be eligible if he's on LTIR, and he certainly wouldn't be selected. I don't think the Jets would need to protect him. It probably just means that the Jets would need to have another eligible forward available, which shouldn't be much of an issue.

Regardless of his injury status, I would be surprised if the Jets would protect Little. His injury situation would make that even less likely.
I think the issue is with his NMC. Doesn't that usually mean we'd be forced to protect him if he was healthy ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad