Speculation: The Ryan O'Reilly Factor

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Johnson or Tyutin is the defenseman coming back for O'Reilly, we riot........correct?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Johnson or Tyutin is the defenseman coming back for O'Reilly, we riot........correct?

Tyutin... yes, depending on the other aspects of the deal. If Wennberg and Rychel come along with... we party.

JMFJ... probably not. He is a solid #2D and has chemistry with EJ. Not as sexy as Maatta, but a better defensmen at this point in his career. He would also come with a significant plus.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Tyutin... yes, depending on the other aspects of the deal. If Wennberg and Rychel come along with... we party.

JMFJ... probably not. He is a solid #2D and has chemistry with EJ. Not as sexy as Maatta, but a better defensmen at this point in his career. He would also come with a significant plus.

I want Rychel on this team sooo bad. Corey Perry, with a better attitude IMO.

JJ + Rychel for O'Reilly + 23rd/Elliott, I'd be down with. They probably wouldn't.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Tyutin yes, but I'd be happy with Jack Johnson as long as something is coming back with him. Roy got the best out of EJ, I have no doubts he's the kind of coach who could get the best out of Jack Johnson. Someone with Jack's gifted physical abilities will get it together at some point, the same way Erik has. And watching a few Jackets games since the trade for Carter, he's looked fairly impressive and doesn't seem to make as many bonehead plays as he did in Los Angeles. IMO he's a bonafide #2 defenseman

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Tyutin yes, but I'd be happy with Jack Johnson as long as something is coming back with him. Roy got the best out of EJ, I have no doubts he's the kind of coach who could get the best out of Jack Johnson. Someone with Jack's gifted physical abilities will get it together at some point, the same way Erik has. And watching a few Jackets games since the trade for Carter, he's looked fairly impressive and doesn't seem to make as many bonehead plays as he did in Los Angeles. IMO he's a bonafide #2 defenseman

Yeah, EJ and JJ compliment each other well IMO. I think EJ could learn from him offensively, while JJ could learn from EJ defensively.

You even see some of our defenders (on occasion, the ones that have the physical ability) spin out of checks with the puck like EJ does. As an example... one thing EJ is very good at is skating the puck out of trouble under pressure.

You don't always have to pass/chip the puck up when you're getting checked, and that's something JJ does too much IMO.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I saw Toronto fans who would get behind 8+Gardiner and I think I could be ok with that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I saw Toronto fans who would get behind 8+Gardiner and I think I could be ok with that.

Not in this draft, and Gardiner is MDZ 2.0 IMO. Not high on him at all really. @ #8 pretty much all of the guys who can help us sooner rather than later will be gone.

It's too much 'futures' IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So what's the point of having this as it's own thread?

I actually like that hes keeping track of the trade proposals in the OP personally. It's easy to lose track of everything that's been discussed in the larger thread(s).

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Not in this draft, and Gardiner is MDZ 2.0 IMO. Not high on him at all really. @ #8 pretty much all of the guys who can help us sooner rather than later will be gone.

It's too much 'futures' IMO.

I think Virtanen is ready by next year, and if MDZ could skate he'd be a top 2dman, and that's essentially what Gardiner will be.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think Virtanen is ready by next year, and if MDZ could skate he'd be a top 2dman, and that's essentially what Gardiner will be.

Those are two definitive comments pinned on a lot of hopes and question marks IMO. Too many for my liking...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Letang should not be on the list from Pittsburgh, injury history plus being a RHD makes it an easy no for me...

Add Josi from Nashville (not combined with the 11th OA though)

Agree in principle.

Letang has a talent level that easily makes this team miles better, RH or not. On talent alone, Letang would be a solid choice, and I'd risk a drop in production moving one of Letang, Barrie, or EJ to the off side just to have all 3 in the top 4.

The injuries + contract make it concerning, and I'd feel the same way if he was a lefty. That is why I vote no on Letang.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
What about O'Reilly for Evander Kane?

Kane would be my top choice for all the options i've seen so far. I think a fresh start under Roy's guidance would be perfect for Kane. I like the idea of Kane and Duchene on one line followed by Landy and Mac on the other. Having 2 power forwards back to back taxing opposition D in the playoffs would be a nice bonus also.

Another nice attribute Kane possesses is some serious knockout power. Ask Cooke.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Kane would be my top choice for all the options i've seen so far. I think a fresh start under Roy's guidance would be perfect for Kane. I like the idea of Kane and Duchene on one line followed by Landy and Mac on the other. Having 2 power forwards back to back taxing opposition D in the playoffs would be a nice bonus also.

Another nice attribute Kane possesses is some serious knockout power. Ask Cooke.

Count me in the minority on this one as well. I like Kane, and don't give a damn about his off-ice stuff. I think most of it is over blown personally.

Edit : It wouldn't fix the defense, but it would fix the issue of losing a forward from our core group.

Last edited:

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
What about moving ROR to Buffalo for Hodgson and Ehrhoff? We pick up a forward and a very good dman who is locked up for a while. I know we would like a younger top 2 dman but it's just a thought.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What about moving ROR to Buffalo for Hodgson and Ehrhoff? We pick up a forward and a very good dman who is locked up for a while. I know we would like a younger top 2 dman but it's just a thought.

I don't think Avs need Hodgson and if you think O'Reilly has a cooky father, he's normal compared to Cody Hodgsons father. The kid has been through five agents and his father used to call Gillis almost daily and whine about his kid not getting enough ice time.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Wheeler + 9th is something I'd possibly do. Basically Wheeler + Fleury VS RoR

Where does Sharp + Leddy come from anyway? I'd do that.

Maatta + Sutter is also interesting.

I'd do it for Josi in a heartbeat, love him.

But no matter what, it would be painful to see Factor leave. He pisses me off during the off-season but when he's on the ice he's easily one of my favorites. Hopes he signs long-term, even if it doesn't look like it for now.

What? I'd pack for O'Reilly. Sharp is way better than him lol.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think its ridiculous that last season Coburn was talked about around the league as a Dman readily available for next to nothing.

Now, 1 season later he's almost worth ROR alone?

No chance in hell I make that trade. Coburn is a #3 at best. He's been overrated a tonne by Flyers fans, just like Couturier, just like Simmonds, just like most of there players.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think its ridiculous that last season Coburn was talked about around the league as a Dman readily available for next to nothing.

Now, 1 season later he's almost worth ROR alone?

No chance in hell I make that trade. Coburn is a #3 at best. He's been overrated a tonne by Flyers fans, just like Couturier, just like Simmonds, just like most of there players.

Coburn was never "readily available for next to nothing" as you put it.

The Oilers tried to trade the Flyers Paajarvi+2 2nd rounders for him and Homer declined. Edmonton was the one team that was seriously interested in him and he was never being shopped. Homer was believed to want a top 6 forward in return for him and it's just speculation, but he might have asked for Eberle. MacT has made it known he isn't moving him. This is why no deal was done. Coburn wasn't available for nothing though like you stated. The picks in the deal were the 37th and 56th.

He was also asking for the 7th overall for him as well I believe was reported.

I can understand not wanting Coburn but you guys have made it very clear a top pairing defender would have to come back for him. I think the Flyers are really only one of the teams who could actually offer you that in Coburn. If you don't like the offer, it's okay by me. Just something I believe is fair for both sides. Coburn and EJ would be a great top pairing.

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I recall it being the 7th overall as well. Pretty high price, but not when you think of how hard it is to get a top-pairing defender.

umdieecke*

Ill add this then. Can you provide a link for reference? If not, that's cool.

Was this put forward by Jets fans?

umdieecke*

Wheeler + 9th is something I'd possibly do. Basically Wheeler + Fleury VS RoR

Where does Sharp + Leddy come from anyway? I'd do that.

Maatta + Sutter is also interesting.

I'd do it for Josi in a heartbeat, love him.

But no matter what, it would be painful to see Factor leave. He pisses me off during the off-season but when he's on the ice he's easily one of my favorites. Hopes he signs long-term, even if it doesn't look like it for now.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1690251&page=2

Post #36, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad