Speculation: The Ryan O'Reilly Factor

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
I'd do RoR for Määttä + Sutter in a heartbeat.

I'd do that with no heartbeat, in fact.

Of course, I've been a fan of Määttäs since his D-Team days

umdieecke*

I'd be ok with Hjalmarsson +. On any other team he'd get much more love than he does now behind Keith and Seabrook.

I wouldnt mind Hjalmarsson + something small. Did you see this anywhere?

umdieecke*

Ive seen this a couple times on twitter. Im guessing it was kind of as a joke.

ROR

for

Drouin

Do we have to add? If so, how much?

Dont even go down that road. If you ask this in the main forum or in the Lightning forum, you'll get "ok, if you add MacKinnon or Duchene."

Im not saying you're off but people are really attached to their 2013 draft picks that were taken really high. Most of all me.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know if that Winnipeg deal is legit. Wheeler + 9th for O'Reilly is a borderline steal. That's basically Wheeler + Fleury/Sanheim. I'd take that easily.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Most of these proposals make me gag and pray to god we resign O'Reilly. A few months back and 99% of these proposals would have been laughed off the board. I guess people are resigned to not getting fair value back at this point because of the contract situation.

Josi is the only one who appeals to me who seems reasonable to acquire...he's young, he's lefty, he logs huge minutes, he's great defensively and adds offense and he is signed to, I will say it again, one of the best contracts in the NHL. $4 million a year until 2020 for a proven young top pairing defenseman. The one and only argument going against Josi is that he plays with Weber but so did Suter and when you are good, you are good...plus he'd look fantastic on a top pairing with EJ.

Maata is nice and has that kind of potential, perhaps, but I'm not jumping the gun on him yet...I want to see more and want more of a track record for somebody I'm trading O'Reilly for. Picks in this draft do nothing to excite me. This is RYAN FREAKIN O'REILLY we are talking about here. The on-ice intangibles, leadership, heart and defensive play are not a made up illusion with this kid. And he transitioned in one season from one of the best two-way centers around to our leading goal scoring winger. He is going to keep getting better and better because all we've ever heard is he has limited upside and he keeps destroying that so-called upside. Wheeler is a real nice player but doesn't bring what ROR does. Staal at his injury record? 30-year Coburn as a centerpiece? Campbell and Kulikov? And now we are glorifying third line type additions to packages. Barf. I'm not even saying it is unrealistic, the contract thing may kill us in a deal. But again, barf.

I get there may be residual nastiness going on with the contract talks, I get that this situation sucks and I even get that the Avs would prefer not to pay anybody above the "Duchene line". But if we end up trading O'Reilly for 50 cents on the dollar I am going to be furious.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sanheim at #9?
really?

And yes, it would be a steal.

9th is probably pretty high on him for many rankings, but he's also ranked pretty high on others. I think he's a guy that could go anywhere, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the mid 1st.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
It seems that Alex Edler would be a very good fit with Colorado's system. I feel that his value has been equally depressed from his season-from-hell under Tortorella, as has ROR's value due to the politics.

From a Vancouver POV, I would offer the following:

Alex Edler + Nicklas Jensen

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I don't know if that Winnipeg deal is legit. Wheeler + 9th for O'Reilly is a borderline steal. That's basically Wheeler + Fleury/Sanheim. I'd take that easily.

It's not. Practically 99% of Jets fans were offended by it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad