Speculation: The Ryan O'Reilly Factor

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
OK, fair enough. Ill take LeTang off the list. I think theres enough consensus on Avs fans that this is bad. But the Avs defense isn't good enough to be picky about handedness.

ROR = Josi wasnt really something Nashville fans agreed on. And it wasn't +11th OA. I just put 11th OA based on what Poile has said about adding a top 6 forward. I think it's pretty conservative to say ROR would bring back at least 11 OA.

If all we get back for ROR is 11th OA....management has failed miserably. If we trade ROR we need to win the trade or get equal value. 11th OA isnt it.

umdieecke*

With Coburn going to Colorado it would free 4.5. That would be enough to sign ROR and we still have Vinny in play. I think Vinny gets moved this off season and if no salary is retained(which IMO is a possibility) we clear another 4.5. Basically 9 out to sign 6.75. That would be the ideal situation but we know that doesn't happen generally.

It's tough, we are going to disagree with how big the gap is for each team on the values. I would offer Coburn+2nd rounder but you guys clearly wouldn't accept that. We know you asked for Couts in the holdout last time but he was an untouchable. I still think that remains true.

This is the part where if the Avs are looking to move O'Reilly I have to see what they are looking for in return(someone respectable in the media). It's tough to gauge the price in these situations. I just think as a base ROR for Coburn is workable.

Dont worry about whether we'll accept. We can discuss that as we go. I just needed something to put on the board.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
If all we get back for ROR is 11th OA....management has failed miserably. If we trade ROR we need to win the trade or get equal value. 11th OA isnt it.

The Avs are beyond the picks and prospects stage of rebuilding this team. They're not going to trade O'Reilly unless they're getting back someone(s) who can help them right now.

umdieecke*

Someone in the trade proposals thread said something around Soupy and the 1st OA for ROR. Might not be a bad idea.
I suggested

ROR, Siemens, Elliott

for

Soupy and Kulikov.

I think I am short on value though from the Avs side. Thoughts?

What were the responses to the Campbell + 1st OA?

Sorry but I'd take Campbell + 1st OA over Campell+ Ekblad-what you're giving away. Ekblad is almost less risky than Kulikov at this point.

umdieecke*

Did you read what I said? I said I was being conservative.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
One Penguins fan proposed Maata+Sutter for ROR. That would actually be an awesome deal.

This, along with Kesler+Edler for Parenteau+ROR are the two deals i've seen proposed by other teams that I would be ok with. I would be really excited about the Vancouver deal. I think we would have to add there.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
One Penguins fan proposed Maata+Sutter for ROR. That would actually be an awesome deal.

I'd take that all day, every day. Maata immediately slots in next to EJ and Sutter takes over the third line center, bumping Mitchell down a spot.

Do the Pens have the cap space to make O'Reilly and his agents happy though?

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

This, along with Kesler+Edler for Parenteau+ROR are the two deals i've seen proposed by other teams that I would be ok with. I would be really excited about the Vancouver deal. I think we would have to add there.

Both deals are in the Avs' favor. I can't imagine Pens or Nucks fans being happy with either deal.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think we need to refer to the deal the Flames offered last year when looking at what the Avs front office values ROR at. The Flames offered Giordano, Backlund and a 3rd which was rejected. So that's a #2-3 defender, a younger forward that can slot into the lineup. I don't foresee the Avs willing to take less value back now that ROR has shown even more ability.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think we need to refer to the deal the Flames offered last year when looking at what the Avs front office values ROR at. The Flames offered Giordano, Backlund and a 3rd which was rejected. So that's a #2-3 defender, a younger forward that can slot into the lineup. I don't foresee the Avs willing to take less value back now that ROR has shown even more ability.

Yep, except I would call Gio a 1/2... pretty close to a 1. Him and EJ are roughly the same level.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What about O'Reilly for Evander Kane?

It is crazy, but I think Winnipeg needs to add. Kane is a bit of an issue to deal with on a daily basis, while ROR is just a contract thing. Both are similar level of players (though completely different styles). The risk of Kane not living up to his potential causes Winnipeg to add IMO. Would be a solid basis of a deal though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Maatta is a good talent but I think people overrate how good he is. He was the #4 defender for Pensand struggled quite a bit in the playoffs.

Good rookie year, but I would be surprised if he's ready for top pairing duty next year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maatta is a good talent but I think people overrate how good he is. He was the #4 defender for Pensand struggled quite a bit in the playoffs.

Good rookie year, but I would be surprised if he's ready for top pairing duty next year.

He wouldn't be, but he gives a legit top pairing prospect that is already in the NHL. Hejda would likely still start on the top pairing.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
It is crazy, but I think Winnipeg needs to add. Kane is a bit of an issue to deal with on a daily basis, while ROR is just a contract thing. Both are similar level of players (though completely different styles). The risk of Kane not living up to his potential causes Winnipeg to add IMO. Would be a solid basis of a deal though.

I think it is even as it is. Winnipeg wouldn't find it necessarily easier to sign O'Reilly. But, Kane is signed longer at a better rate and they are the same age at LW with similar scoring potential.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think it is even as it is. Winnipeg wouldn't find it necessarily easier to sign O'Reilly. But, Kane is signed longer at a better rate and they are the same age at LW with similar scoring potential.

It would be even in a vacuum IMO, but Kane's off the ice issues (a bit overblown, but Winnipeg wouldn't trade him unless there was some issues) add a significant amount of risk. It could be leveled off with a prospect/pick/2nd player swap, but it is there.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Wheeler + 9th is something I'd possibly do. Basically Wheeler + Fleury VS RoR

Where does Sharp + Leddy come from anyway? I'd do that.

Maatta + Sutter is also interesting.

I'd do it for Josi in a heartbeat, love him.

But no matter what, it would be painful to see Factor leave. He pisses me off during the off-season but when he's on the ice he's easily one of my favorites. Hopes he signs long-term, even if it doesn't look like it for now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the team that can really make the deal is one nobody is talking about... Columbus. They have a few really good forward prospects, an expendable top pairing LD, and a good set or roster forwards they can put in a deal. If it gets to a bidding war, I could see them easily winning.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think the team that can really make the deal is one nobody is talking about... Columbus. They have a few really good forward prospects, an expendable top pairing LD, and a good set or roster forwards they can put in a deal. If it gets to a bidding war, I could see them easily winning.

Yeah, could you imagine getting something like JJ + Dubinsky?

I would kill to have Dubi as our third line center, he'd fit right in against teams like LA & STL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, could you imagine getting something like JJ + Dubinsky?

I would kill to have Dubi as our third line center, he'd fit right in against teams like LA & STL.

Personally I don't think they would offer that, but if it came down to it they could. Think of the assets they have that are somewhat expendable (provided they don't give up more than ~3) and not untouchable: JMFJ, Tyutin, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Jenner, Dano, Rychel, Wennberg, Savard, Chaput, and Bjorkstrand could all be used in various way to build a deal. If there is a bidding war, it is hard to see Columbus not winning it if they are truly interested. Anaheim would be a close 2nd as they are deep in prospects, but hard to say if they would give up the defensemen needed in the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00