The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
If you don't think there's anything more to say, you're more than welcome to not post in this thread. Complaining that the discussion is tedious is actually quite tedious itself, and does not actually contribute anything to any conversation.
To be fair, I did not complain or tell anyone that they shouldn't be posting about it anymore. I am personally grateful this thread was created to keep it out of every other thread. But point taken.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
ROR trade looks bad right now.
Two more bad to average veterans.
Plus a prospects who might turn out or not.
None of this pieces is good enough to play top six minutes.
They are 3rd liners at best.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm fine with the trade. Seeing how Berglund has played, he isn't an upgrade on ROR, but he surely skates better. In time he's a PERFECT third line C. I just need to see some more consistency out of Thompson, but so far so good. Yes it would have been nice to land Robert Thomas or Jordan Kyrou. However, being realistic, we did fine. Sobotka needs some more time to get into gear. My concern was Berglund and his contract, but he looks great in his two way play and adjusted just fine.
ROR is so clearly a better skater than Berglund. What are you smoking?! Perfect 3rd line center? Yeesh.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
For those keeping track at home the Blues won 5-3 over the Flames. ROR with no points and -3 for the night. He was 47% at the faceoff dot and collected another 2 PIMs. After 3 games he has more PIMs than all of last year.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Three. After three we had two wins. We are clearly superior to the Blues.

*I'm just being tongue in cheek, clearly it's too early to draw real conclusions yet

I could swear I looked at it last night and they were at two, maybe nhl hadn’t refreshed. Oh well, the race continues!

Reactions: Rasmi

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Blues lost again tonight, is it to early to start getting excited about a possible pick in the 11-16 range??
Top 10 protected.

That division is tough. No matter what your record,,,being 6th pkace means no chance ar pkayoffs even if they were clearly 3rd ir 2nd in other divisions.

As I’ve said....I’d like one of the picks to get deferred to 2020.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Would have rather Sabres kept Zad; wouldn't have wasted time with Mez, Cola, BoLu, Kuli or pined for Guhle. Would have been in the same situation for alot less money.

Don't care for Compher or McGinn either way & Grigs flopped. Can't say the 2nd mattered after they wasted another on Guhle. Simply would prefer Zad to most acquisitions the past 3+ years.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Allen and Johnson are definitely not an ideal tandem for a team with Stanley Cup aspirations.

The Hutton for Johnson signing swap will effect the Blues much more then the ROR deal. Each year they pencil Allen in as the starter, every year he craps the bed and the other goalie in the tandem carries them. That team with Hutton would be very dangerous. They should have cut bait with Allen and made Huttton the defacto starter.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Would have rather Sabres kept Zad; wouldn't have wasted time with Mez, Cola, BoLu, Kuli or pined for Guhle. Would have been in the same situation for alot less money.

Don't care for Compher or McGinn either way & Grigs flopped. Can't say the 2nd mattered after they wasted another on Guhle. Simply would prefer Zad to most acquisitions the past 3+ years.

I was always disappointed on some level not to get to see Myers, Zadorov and Risto being a tower of defense.

It would be an interesting what if to see if they don’t make any of the big trades until after the Matthews draft.

I think they could still trade Stafford for picks and the goalies. And that keeps you in last place, considering Bogo played his best hockey for that post trade stint.

It’s a defensive core that only needs one more top 4 guy to be a good unit or 1 top pair guy to be elite.

The forwards are barren after Jack and Sam, except for guys who bust Ennis and Girgs. But young depth in Compher, Armia and Carrier are coming up. Your leftover picks from the now killed trades land near talented prospects potentially.

And more importantly you are about to tank one last time for Matthews/Laine. And even a couple spots better in the lottery might get you Tkachuk or Keller or Dubois.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Interesting comments from Housley on WGR about the difference in this year's leadership group. I think it speaks to the main reason ROR was moved.

Housley on the leadership group's influence on the locker room:

"We tend to come to the rink the next day and it was 'woe is me!', and it just seemed that whenever we've faced a little bit of adversity, our leadership group has done a terrific job of corralling the guys, getting our focus back. That's one of the changes I've seen this year. Our leadership group has done a terrific job of leading in the right way, leading by example. We're going to have to lean on those guys, at times, during the season, but I really like the focus in the next day in practice and you can see it payed dividends against New York."
I said it in the past and I will say it again. ROR is a loser. I mean that in the sense that he has 13 playoff games in 10 seasons and both times were early exists. I am sure he will turn it around sooner or later but it seems that is all the guy knows. Mostly not his fault but its got to take a toll on the psyche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad