The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
ROR wasn't on the roster. Eichel went out of his way to bring up the fist bump shunning drama.
they needed to do something to keep people watching and to make a believable end to ROR's story ark with "the trade" at the end of season 4 of "the rebuild".
Two more season and they get the syndication!

Last edited:
Reactions: sabrebuild

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't like his beard, I'm glad he's gone.....

:eek::D:sarcasm::DD:thumbu:

He didn't always have a beard.

timhortonsoreilly.jpg

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Not that I want this team to start loosing but it will be interesting to see how the team handles it when the losses start. I think that’s the only way we will know if the demons have been exorcised. If they truely have been then I won’t be so hard on this trade.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I mean we did get 3 years out of ROR as well. Plus a 2nd round pick in the 2nd ROR trade, and McGinn netted us a 3rd rounder that allowed us to have lunch with Jimmy Vesey.

The first trade we played a fair price - we didn't "win" but it was fair.

The 2nd trade we got dicked. Plain and simple.

I don’t know how anyone can say we got “dicked” in the Blues trade when two of the pieces coming back are prospects, who may or may not pan out. That remains to be seen.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
That's not really correct, since ROR was flipped... it's more like:

JT Compher
Zadorov
Grigorenko
Early 2nd Round pick

For

Berglund
Sobotka
Thompson
Late 1st Round
2021 2nd rounder
...plus the opportunity to try and woo Jimmy Vesey (the McGinn part)

Which isn't too bad, because...

We basically traded Ryan Miller, Steve Ott, Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Joel Armia, Brendan Lemieux, Mark Pysyk, and a 2015 pick (Robin Kovacs) for Zach Bogosian, Danny O'Regan, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, a 2019 first-rounder (maybe), and a 2019 fourth-rounder. Following that trail is not fun.

View attachment 145349

You are also forgetting two big pieces all those trades landed us.....

Eichel and Reinhart.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don’t know how anyone can say we got “dicked” in the Blues trade when two of the pieces coming back are prospects, who may or may not pan out. That remains to be seen.
What are the odds that either end up being as close to as good as ROR? We gave up lots of legit cash (ROR) for a few scratch off tickets where if we win we get a cash prize equal to the cash we gave up. That's not good.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Prospects carry a tangible valuable at the time of a trade.

It's like if we traded Eichel for a 2019 1st...can we not say we got fleeced because we don't know how the pick will turn out?

Reactions: Aladyyn

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Prospects carry a tangible valuable at the time of a trade.

It's like if we traded Eichel for a 2019 1st...can we not say we got fleeced because we don't know how the pick will turn out?
We don't know how any pick will turn out. What if we traded Eichel for a 5th rounder? That could be the next Jamie Benn. Maybe we could get a 6th rounder thrown in and draft the next Pavel Datysuk.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
We don't know how any pick will turn out. What if we traded Eichel for a 5th rounder? That could be the next Jamie Benn. Maybe we could get a 6th rounder thrown in and draft the next Pavel Datysuk.

But if we traded Eichel for a 5th rounder, would anyone have a problem with saying we lost the trade?

That's my point.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Well the front office took action over it. And while we done know any details, there is not only smoke but a resulting trade. Hardly silly.

It could have been anything from trade ROR because of his public comments and it was a dumb decision, or ten players begged Botts to get rid of him because his attitude and constant playing of Mad World bummed them out

The public comments were the tipping point. Try posting stuff like that about your job on facebook or twitter and ask your employer to read it. It's even more damaging if you're in the entertainment industry. The Pegula's treated O'Reilly like royalty. They glossed over his "accident", gave him the contract he wanted, and even signed his brother. They must have been livid when he made those comments. O'Reilly effectively told the Pegula's he hated his job. You don't tell your employer that unless you want to leave.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
You are also forgetting two big pieces all those trades landed us.....

Eichel and Reinhart.
I don't agree with this from a value standpoint. You can trade assets for futures to 'tank' and not lose value for what you moved out. Look at the value WPG leached out of this organization. Regeir had this team set up so nicely from a wealth standpoint and Murray pissed it away.

Reactions: SabresFan26

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
From Poehling to Price: why Marc Bergevin's plan must...

Honestly, I'd rather had Poehling, and the 2nd than what Botterill got. But if it was Poehling alone, the Blues trade is preferable.

The Canadiens second rounders were Jesse Ylonen, Alexander Romanov, and Jacob Olofsson. They could've drafted one of McIsaac, Woo, McLeod, Wilde, Drury, Hallinder, or McBain with that 2nd rounder spread.

Reactions: Aladyyn

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Interesting comments from Housley on WGR about the difference in this year's leadership group. I think it speaks to the main reason ROR was moved.

Housley on the leadership group's influence on the locker room:

"We tend to come to the rink the next day and it was 'woe is me!', and it just seemed that whenever we've faced a little bit of adversity, our leadership group has done a terrific job of corralling the guys, getting our focus back. That's one of the changes I've seen this year. Our leadership group has done a terrific job of leading in the right way, leading by example. We're going to have to lean on those guys, at times, during the season, but I really like the focus in the next day in practice and you can see it payed dividends against New York."

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
It's unbelievable how Botterill and Housley managed to shift blame for a horrendous season from themselves on literally one single player.
Botterill has already done a lot more good stuff for this organization than Murray.

Plus I don't think Botterill and Housley shifted blame. Maybe some of the media but it wasn't just ROR. There were many issues the past few years.

Last edited:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I'm fine with the trade. Seeing how Berglund has played, he isn't an upgrade on ROR, but he surely skates better. In time he's a PERFECT third line C. I just need to see some more consistency out of Thompson, but so far so good. Yes it would have been nice to land Robert Thomas or Jordan Kyrou. However, being realistic, we did fine. Sobotka needs some more time to get into gear. My concern was Berglund and his contract, but he looks great in his two way play and adjusted just fine.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
It's unbelievable how Botterill and Housley managed to shift blame for a horrendous season from themselves on literally one single player.
It's more the fanbase doing that. You could also look at Lehner, Kane, and all the plugs who don't even have contracts in the league anymore as problems last year. But folks have focused on ROR as he's the best player and his trade was the most impactful.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It's more the fanbase doing that. You could also look at Lehner, Kane, and all the plugs who don't even have contracts in the league anymore as problems last year. But folks have focused on ROR as he's the best player and his trade was the most impactful.
The fanbase took it over from the media (who are getting fed info from you know who).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->