The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
He could simultaneously be a good leader and still experience team failure. I don't think he is, but it's not mutually exclusive.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Leaders elevate team's play.

So if I’m reading that broad sweeping generalization correctly .... Yzerman wasn’t a leader for years, until they started winning a lot. Then he magically was a leader.

Toews was a leader for years, but now he magically lost being a leader.

Was D. Brown a leader when the Kings won a lot and won the cup? And now that the kings aren’t good, he magically lost that lovin’ feeling of being a leader?

All because the entire teams around those (of many) examples didn’t “elevate” (win) at times in their time on those teams.

And I’m not even arguing ROR is one of the leaders on that team. And I’m certainly not arguing ROR is at some adorably assigned “leader level” as Yzerman or Toews.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Apparently he elevates his line just fine, 25 games, 28 points, +5.

It’s those other 19 guys that seem to be a problem.

Anybody know how long Pietrangelo is out for? I heard he went on IR. That could be game over for them this year.

Watch them win the lottery and then steam roll into the playoffs next year. This league is wild.

About the same odds as winning a power ball jackpot...

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Was D. Brown a leader when the Kings won a lot and won the cup? And now that the kings aren’t good, he magically lost that lovin’ feeling of being a leader?
I mean, he was stripped of his captaincy two years ago and continues to not even be an alternate...that says something. Maybe that something is that he didn’t want the responsibility anymore and asked to not have a letter, I don’t know. But it does seem to suggest he’s lost that lovin’ feeling at least in some capacity.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
About the same odds as winning a power ball jackpot...

I bet the odds are a little better. The Blues are likely in the bottom 5-10 teams, so their chances of winning the top pick are very favorable compared to the powerball.

On the flip side, that team getting to add a Hughes/Kaapo level player to a team that is fairly strong outside of a huge weakness in net, is very likely to rebound hugely. Just like us now.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I bet the odds are a little better. The Blues are likely in the bottom 5-10 teams, so their chances of winning the top pick are very favorable compared to the powerball.

On the flip side, that team getting to add a Hughes/Kaapo level player to a team that is fairly strong outside of a huge weakness in net, is very likely to rebound hugely. Just like us now.

Even if they won a lottery and got a player they pick who can play in the mhk in 2019/20 the pick at worst is 16-28.

The central is a difficult division with Nashville and Winnipeg clearly better than them. Colorado, Dallas, and Minnesota also likely ahead of them and Chicago could compete too.

St. Louis could be 100 to team and still end up 6th and not make the playoffs. If they did they’d be a wild card and their pick ends up in the teens.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Even if they won a lottery and got a player they pick who can play in the mhk in 2019/20 the pick at worst is 16-28.

The central is a difficult division with Nashville and Winnipeg clearly better than them. Colorado, Dallas, and Minnesota also likely ahead of them and Chicago could compete too.

St. Louis could be 100 to team and still end up 6th and not make the playoffs. If they did they’d be a wild card and their pick ends up in the teens.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the puck coming back to us. It’s irrelevant

I will bet you anything you want, that a 100 point team in the central will not end up 6th or 5th.

Either way your math skills are typical, since winning the Powerball have odds in the millions to one ratio.

Versus, a relatively good chance to win a top 2 pick, followed by a more than reasonable ability for a team with a lot good players, one glaring weakness and a history of playoff appearances.

The Powerball is not a good comparison for someone who is allegedly a math guy.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He is not a cancer but it's funny, guy like Alexei Yashin holds out and is treated like a pariah, RoR does it and all is fine? Not to mention he was upset when he was put at LW. And to top it off he is one of the most high profile hockey players to get in major trouble in the off season by driving drunk. Because he only hit a Tim Hortons which just led to a bunch of people create jokes on the internet instead a mother of father of 4 in a fatal crash.

He has done far too many negative things to be fawned over as some great captain leader. Not at all.

Reactions: Heretic

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Nope. If I said, why didn't he elevate his team, then maybe, but I said team play...Big Difference. But nice try.
Its not a big difference and there is NO difference. He does not elevate the teams he plays on. Thanks for admitting it.

Elevate team and elevate teams play is the same thing unless you are talking about ROR physically lifting them in the air. You are just being daft.

Either way he is capable of neither.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The word cancer gets thrown around way to much. In what world is ROR a cancer? Stupidest **** I’ve ever read.
Lets see, Gionta called him a lock for the next captain
We had a young team
ROR gets drunk and smashes his truck into a Timmys and runs away
leadership material right there
Everyone in the locker THIS YEAR says its awesome locker room
RoR said he lost his love for the game last year
RoR traded away
Team has gelled nicely this year.
Team last year was miserable
St. Louis sucks.

ROR was part of the problem because ROR was a part of the team
Team's lose for years before they win and other teams players don't cry about it
ROR lost his love for the game because we came in last place. Weak weak weak minded.

Does that mean other team's players who came in last place also get to pull that same garbage?

They grew from boys to men together in Colorado as proud young NHLers from the Canadian province of Ontario. They were buddies. Matt Duchene on O'Reilly “More of distraction the first time,” Duchene said of O’Reilly’s holdout at the start of the 2012-13 lockout-shortened season. “Last year I don’t think it was as bad. I never really look at it too much. But it is tough when a guy like that — who you look at as part of your core — and you don’t know if he’s going to be there or not in the middle of the summer. I guess that’s all I’m going to say about that.”

Ryan O'Reilly on end of year,"I lost my love for the game"
Ryan O’Reilly on joining Blues: ‘I feel like I have a spark in me now’

He didn't care when he was here
Those were not kind words from a friend Duchene

Shameful
Cancer.

How can anyone defend that?

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas vanek

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the puck coming back to us. It’s irrelevant

I will bet you anything you want, that a 100 point team in the central will not end up 6th or 5th.

Either way your math skills are typical, since winning the Powerball have odds in the millions to one ratio.

Versus, a relatively good chance to win a top 2 pick, followed by a more than reasonable ability for a team with a lot good players, one glaring weakness and a history of playoff appearances.

The Powerball is not a good comparison for someone who is allegedly a math guy.

Last year the 6th place team, Dallas had 93 pts. Them getting 7 more points isn’t much of a stretch. The Central could be that strong if you think STAl will suddenly turn it around be adding a rookie and become a cup contender.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lets see, Gionta called him a lock for the next captain
We had a young team
ROR gets drunk and smashes his truck into a Timmys and runs away
leadership material right there
Everyone in the locker THIS YEAR says its awesome locker room
RoR said he lost his love for the game last year
RoR traded away
Team has gelled nicely this year.
Team last year was miserable
St. Louis sucks.

ROR was part of the problem because ROR was a part of the team
Team's lose for years before they win and other teams players don't cry about it
ROR lost his love for the game because we came in last place. Weak weak weak minded.

Does that mean other team's players who came in last place also get to pull that same garbage?

They grew from boys to men together in Colorado as proud young NHLers from the Canadian province of Ontario. They were buddies. Matt Duchene on O'Reilly “More of distraction the first time,” Duchene said of O’Reilly’s holdout at the start of the 2012-13 lockout-shortened season. “Last year I don’t think it was as bad. I never really look at it too much. But it is tough when a guy like that — who you look at as part of your core — and you don’t know if he’s going to be there or not in the middle of the summer. I guess that’s all I’m going to say about that.”

Ryan O'Reilly on end of year,"I lost my love for the game"
Ryan O’Reilly on joining Blues: ‘I feel like I have a spark in me now’

He didn't care when he was here
Those were not kind words from a friend Duchene

Shameful
Cancer.

How can anyone defend that?
You can say a lot of things about ROR but to say he didn't care is nuclear weapons grade BS. Nobody on that team worked harder or put in more effort than him. Everyone has noted he would be first to the rink and the last to leave. And trading him isn't the major problem, it was rushing to take a very bad fire sale offer of 2 bad players on awful contracts, an incredibly suspect prospect who has pretty much been nothing but awful at the NHL level and a pick that is going to get pushed back from one of the greatest drafts ever to one of the worst. Look at what Sakic did with Duchene: he was paitient and could very well be rewarded for it with Jack Hughes. The ROR trade was just the worst asset management possible, that's the problem and not that he was traded.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
You can say a lot of things about ROR but to say he didn't care is nuclear weapons grade BS. Nobody on that team worked harder or put in more effort than him. Everyone has noted he would be first to the rink and the last to leave. And trading him isn't the major problem, it was rushing to take a very bad fire sale offer of 2 bad players on awful contracts, an incredibly suspect prospect who has pretty much been nothing but awful at the NHL level and a pick that is going to get pushed back from one of the greatest drafts ever to one of the worst. Look at what Sakic did with Duchene: he was paitient and could very well be rewarded for it with Jack Hughes. The ROR trade was just the worst asset management possible, that's the problem and not that he was traded.
If he cared about the sabres then why did he give up? I didn't say he didn't try. I said didn't care.
So he lost his love for the game but still cared? I am confused. Can you please explain how you lose your love for the game but still care? Also How long before he loses his love out in St. Louis?

Rating the ROR trade plays no role in this thread. If you don't want to rate it then that could mean ROR had such little value because of him being a cancer.

So does St. Louis now worry about ROR losing his love for the game? They are losing.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If he cared about the sabres then why did he give up? I didn't say he didn't try. I said didn't care.
So he lost his love for the game but still cared? I am confused. Can you please explain how you lose your love for the game but still care? Also How long before he loses his love out in St. Louis?

Rating the ROR trade plays no role in this thread. If you don't want to rate it then that could mean ROR had such little value because of him being a cancer.

So does St. Louis now worry about ROR losing his love for the game? They are losing.

You are seriously blowing that quote way out of proportion.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Serious question

If St. Louis loses too does he lose his love again for hockey or was that only reserved for Buffalo?
If St. Louis loses is it time again for him to move on again?
Is he losing his love when his team loses?

Maybe cancer is too strong of a word but where there is smoke there is fire.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
You are seriously blowing that quote way out of proportion.
I am not blowing anything out of proportion, it was your statement and I was asking you to defend it and you used this statement to defend your statement? Because you failed to answer the question and decided to deflect with an observation of my post.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Serious question

If St. Louis loses too does he lose his love again for hockey or was that only reserved for Buffalo?
If St. Louis loses is it time again for him to move on again?
Is he losing his love when his team loses?

Maybe cancer is too strong of a word but where there is smoke there is fire.
St. Louis is losing because their goalies f***ing blow nothing complicated about it really...and it has nothing to do with O'Reily other than the fact that he isn't a Vezina level goaltender instead of a top center. Laine had 5 goals in 5 shots in a game where the Blues scored 4 goals. Bogosian gave Laine a perfect chance to win in regulation against us but our goalies aren't sieves. The main common factor for the teams sucking is actually Chad Johnson.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad