The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Tied for second on the team in points.

Leads all forwards in ice time.

Winning 67.3% of his draws (2nd in the league among players with at least 50 faceoffs).

But, goalzzzzz.
Did I miss something or did the poster you quoted literally say he's playing tough minutes and winning faceoffs? It's kind of weird to offer the exact same information as a counterpoint.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Would have rather Sabres kept Zad; wouldn't have wasted time with Mez, Cola, BoLu, Kuli or pined for Guhle. Would have been in the same situation for alot less money.

Don't care for Compher or McGinn either way & Grigs flopped. Can't say the 2nd mattered after they wasted another on Guhle. Simply would prefer Zad to most acquisitions the past 3+ years.

Compher is f'n legit. If only COL had insisted on Fasching instead of him.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Did I miss something or did the poster you quoted literally say he's playing tough minutes and winning faceoffs? It's kind of weird to offer the exact same information as a counterpoint.
A cursory glance at the conversation, it seems that the quoted poster was being sarcastic and the point of their post is to say ROR isn't scoring goals, which is kind of a silly.

Blues fans seem incredibly happy with ROR - one poster on the main boards said that no other player has been as good as ROR. But hey, if he ain't scoring goals then why is he on the ice? :help:

Reactions: Punished ROR

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I see people are still blaming Ryan O'Reilly for not being a goalie in addition to all the things he already does.
No, no one is doing that. People are blaming ROR for bad culture as part of the failure to win.

I find it interesting that there is literally a quote from the coach Housley about the positive culture change and people still deny it is not because of ROR.

The only other thing I can assume is you feel a good locker room culture is not relevant to winning.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I see people are still blaming Ryan O'Reilly for not being a goalie in addition to all the things he already does.
For the same reason people place the blame on Housley for the drop in points/standings between 16-17 and 17-18, and not the drop off in goaltending.

I find it interesting that there is literally a quote from the coach Housley about the positive culture change and people still deny it is not because of ROR.
I dunno how you pin that on ROR when Kane/Lehner were also gone, and more notorious attitudes in the locker room.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
For the same reason people place the blame on Housley for the drop in points/standings between 16-17 and 17-18, and not the drop off in goaltending.

I dunno how you pin that on ROR when Kane/Lehner were also gone, and more notorious attitudes in the locker room.

People place blame on Housley for last season because, among other reasons, he made a bad ES team worse by virtually all ES metrics that correlate with good ES hockey teams.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
No, no one is doing that. People are blaming ROR for bad culture as part of the failure to win.

The only other thing I can assume is you feel a good locker room culture is not relevant to winning.

Are you suggesting that we wouldn't be 3-2-0 with ROR on this year's club? Have you identified a game or games that he would've bad-cultured us to a loss?

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Are you suggesting that we wouldn't be 3-2-0 with ROR on this year's club? Have you identified a game or games that he would've bad-cultured us to a loss?
If ROR was still here, does Eichel become the captain still? If he did get the C, how does ROR feel about that?

Just curious...

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd be fascinated to see what cherry picked context-less advanced stats you can spin to prove that Housley is to blame for all of the teams problems... but I don't think we really need to get into it.

Weak attempt at a strawman by characterizing my post as blaming "all" of the team's problems on Housley. Try harder.

When a team finishes DFL, many are to blame. Including Housley.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
This is definitely possible. Hockey isn't as simple as A + B = C. We are a better team with Jack out there more than we were with ROR out there "playing hard minutes" while not producing at even strength. It's almost like if ROR is relied on as one of your 2 or 3 best players, then you might not be a very good team.

Last edited:
Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This is definitely possible. Hockey isn't as simple as A + B = C. We are a better team with Jack out there more than we were with ROR out there "playing hard minutes" while not producing at even strength. It's almost like if ROR is relied on as one of your 2 or 3 best players, then you might not be a very good team.

If only professional hockey clubs employed an individual, or individuals, who could identify things like "it's not a good idea to make your second-best forward play backbreaking defensive minutes," and then control and distribute ice times accordingly. What do you think the job title of that individual, or collective group of individuals, would be?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
You're the one mischaracterizing the argument. Do you absolve Housley of any fault for last season? If not, you'd probably realize your position is closer to mine than you realize.
The only blatantly egregious thing I feel Housley did last year, is that he took a lazy team and forced them to play a really active system that blew the tires out early in the season. He changed it to something more simple once he saw the wheels coming off... but the broken, cracked team shattered quickly.

That said, I don't blame Housley for not realizing his new NHL team were so fragile and unable to keep up with the basics of playing in a modern NHL system (probably swayed by his first half an offseason of optimism out of his guys / a feeling out period during camp)... and that he was probably blindsided by the teams overall lack of talent and execution. Is it the players fault for sucking, or his fault for not accommodating their suckiness fast enough? I dunno. Eye of the beholder.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I didn't realize that one forward was solely responsible for the team's W/L record.
So what you are saying is as long as RORs stats are good who cares about wins and loses.

I think ROR takes the same approach to the team as you do. Probably why his teams are always losers.

I don't care about fancy individual stats like you do. I care about winning.

I never said he was a bad player. I said he was a loser and bad for the locker room. Go back and read.

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The gap between the Skinner and Eichel lines in sheltered scoring roles has been far bigger than the gap between this year’s Eichel and buried O’Reilly.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
So what you are saying is as long as RORs stats are good who cares about wins and loses.

I think ROR takes the same approach to the team as you do. Probably why his teams are always losers.

I don't care about fancy individual stats like you do. I care about winning.

I never said he was a bad player. I said he was a loser and bad for the locker room. Go back and read.

Is Jack Eichel a loser then? Sam Reinhart? Ristolainen?

It's hard to win when your team, top to bottom, sucks relative to the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad