The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
If only professional hockey clubs employed an individual, or individuals, who could identify things like "it's not a good idea to make your second-best forward play backbreaking defensive minutes," and then control and distribute ice times accordingly. What do you think the job title of that individual, or collective group of individuals, would be?
Cute retort, but the fact is ROR has never been a key figure on a consistently good winning team and he's been in the league a decade. Of course part of it is likely just misfortune, but an argument could be made that while ROR is an exceptional hockey player, he lacks the dynamic ability that truly sets apart franchise players and stars in this league. I personally think the Blues will turn it around and make the playoffs and ROR will be a big part of that, but if not there will start to be questions asked.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Cute retort, but the fact is ROR has never been a key figure on a consistently good winning team and he's been in the league a decade. Of course part of it is likely just misfortune, but an argument could be made that while ROR is an exceptional hockey player, he lacks the dynamic ability that truly sets apart franchise players and stars in this league. I personally think the Blues will turn it around and make the playoffs and ROR will be a big part of that, but if not there will start to be questions asked.

There should be questions asked right now. For example, "Why did we go into the season, in the best division in hockey, thinking it was a good idea to have a goaltending tandem of Jake Allen and Chad ****ing Johnson?" That's a good first question to ask.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Of the teams ROR have been on... To be fair and logical ... the entire staff and roster are losers. Except for those that have a cup. It’s not just one player.
So Hasek was a loser... until he won the cup.
LaFontaine was a loser.
Etc...
Etc...

Amirite?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Is Jack Eichel a loser then? Sam Reinhart? Ristolainen?

It's hard to win when your team, 1 through 23, sucks relative to the league.
Come on, are you being obtuse on purpose? ROR is on his third team and even though short sample size all losers. Sat out for millions of dollars traded away was suppose to be our captain traded away again and now Housley is saying we have a better culture. I get it faceoffs and assists are what matters.

It seems you either don't care about your bias or don't see the difference between Eichel playing his 3rd season in and ROR 10 seasons and 3 teams in and all losers.(oh and at the moment we have a winning record but are worse off because ROR has skills))

Also on that note what has Eichel and Reinhart won in the NHL?

Can you please tell me what they are? Are they winners? Or are they losers? I will wait for your response.

In sports there are no participation medals.

Last edited:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
The gap between the Skinner and Eichel lines in sheltered scoring roles has been far bigger than the gap between this year’s Eichel and buried O’Reilly.
5 games. Skinner has created more chances for himself those 5 games than ROR did all season at even strength. I know you like to make your points with fancy analytic speak but your stats aside, watching the games gives a different impression of the teams ability to create time and space and therefore scoring chances when Jack is off the ice (as opposed to last year).

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
There should be questions asked right now. For example, "Why did we go into the season, in the best division in hockey, thinking it was a good idea to have a goaltending tandem of Jake Allen and Chad ****ing Johnson?" That's a good first question to ask.

Goaltending fault in Colorado not ROR
Goaltending fault in buffalo not ROR
Goaltending fault it st. Louis not ROR

#trending

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
5 games. Skinner has created more chances for himself those 5 games than ROR did all season at even strength. I know you like to make your points with fancy analytic speak but your stats aside, watching the games gives a different impression of the teams ability to create time and space and therefore scoring chances when Jack is off the ice (as opposed to last year).
It’s almost as if the team sheltering players instead of Eichel is getting more production with Jack off the ice than the team that buried every line that wasn’t his.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Come on, are you being obtuse on purpose? ROR is on his third team and even though short sample size all losers.

Jack Eichel's teams have all been losers. Is this the part where I say "small sample size, I know," so that I can later try to wiggle my way out of that argument?

Sat out for millions of dollars traded away was suppose to be our captain traded away again and now Housley is saying we have a better culture.

We also have better goaltending. I wonder if Phil would be talking about our "better culture" if Hutton and Ullmark don't almost singlehandedly win the NYR and ARZ games. I bet not.

I get it faceoffs and assists are what matters.

You're so adorable with your petulant strawman.

It seems you either don't care about your bias or don't see the difference between Eichel playing his 3rd season in and ROR 10 seasons and 3 teams in and all losers.(oh and at the moment we have a winning record but are worse off because ROR has skills))

Made the playoffs twice in first his first five seasons. Let's see if Jack can do that - if not, are you prepared to call Jack a loser? Of course you won't be, because his first three seasons don't count while ROR was making the room sad, right?

Also on that note what has Eichel and Reinhart won in the NHL?

Can you please tell me what they are? Are they winners? Or are they losers? I will wait for your response.

Don't be downtrodden that you have to deal with the hypocrisy of your own positions. You characterized ROR's three teams as "all losers" - btw, hilarious that the Blues are "losers" five games in, but I digress.

But if you want to characterize ROR, an individual player on teams who play 20 guys per game, as some born "loser" because his teams haven't "won," and he's played prominent roles on those teams, then you better be prepared to apply the same standard.

Goaltending fault in Colorado not ROR
Goaltending fault in buffalo not ROR
Goaltending fault it st. Louis not ROR

#trending

You have no desire to engage in a good-faith debate, as evidenced by your garbage, bumper-sticker arguments.

By the way, the last three Sabres teams didn't lose because of goaltending. They weren't good teams, top to bottom.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I shudder to think where this team would be this season without that one assist between Berglund/Sobotka/Thompson after 5 games.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Of the teams ROR have been on... To be fair and logical ... the entire staff and roster are losers. Except for those that have a cup. It’s not just one player.
So Hasek was a loser... until he won the cup.
LaFontaine was a loser.
Etc...
Etc...

Amirite?
Dis you just compare ROR to Hasek? :help:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Everyone remember that time where Taylor Hall was traded for a #4 Defenseman because he was a "loser" and a "cancer"? That worked out well didn't it? Well at least for the Devils it did.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Everyone remember that time where Taylor Hall was traded for a #4 Defenseman because he was a "loser" and a "cancer"? That worked out well didn't it? Well at least for the Devils it did.
Hall is much better player than ROR. He can create offense like ROR cant even dare to dream about.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hall is much better player than ROR. He can create offense like ROR cant even dare to dream about.
You missed the point, which is an excelent player being driven out of town for a fraction of his value over a ridiculous narative/character assassination (which is exactly what happened with ROR).

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I know you said it's early, but ROR has been, far and away, the Blues best player through 5 games. The Blues blowing 3 third period leads in 5 games isn't on him. And I don't think teams just start to suck when a player like that joins the roster. The Blues should easily be 4-1.

The Blues defense has been inexplicably dreadful through 5 games. Especially in the third.

Above is the quote i was referencing on the main boards. I really don't think blues fans have any buyers remorse - meanwhile we're kinda worried about Tage's development and the bloated contracts in berglund and sobotka.

I think people are confusing leadership styles with locker room issues. Perhaps part of the new attitude Housley was referencing is because Berglund, Sobotka, Hutton, etc bring a different kind of energy to the locker room than our roster guys from last season - ROR included. I refuse to believe that we're winning games because ROR is no longer on the team. Sometimes there really are just coincidences tying to things together.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So what you are saying is as long as RORs stats are good who cares about wins and loses.

I think ROR takes the same approach to the team as you do. Probably why his teams are always losers.

I don't care about fancy individual stats like you do. I care about winning.

I never said he was a bad player. I said he was a loser and bad for the locker room. Go back and read.

So, Barry Sanders shouldn't be a Hall of Famer because he always played on bad Lions teams?

What I am saying is that no forward in the history of hockey has ever been solely responsible for the success or failure of his team.

To say that ROR is the cause of his team losing isn't a theory that I can buy into.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I shudder to think where this team would be this season without that one assist between Berglund/Sobotka/Thompson after 5 games.

I may get banned from the boards when we finish with 80-85 points, in a division with three openly rebuilding clubs, with two goaltenders with .920 SV%'s but a 2C that doesn't sniff 40 pts, and the same posters tell us how great the ROR trade was because we improved by 20 pts. You know it's coming.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
What a hot take. Impressive.

He's been the most valuable player on the team through 5 games. They've blown 3 third period leads which turned into losses. In 5 games. The defense has been horrible. That is on ROR how?

Save yourself the frustration: these people are not remotely interested in rationally debating the points you raised.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I may get banned from the boards when we finish with 80-85 points, in a division with three openly rebuilding clubs, with two goaltenders with .920 SV%'s but a 2C that doesn't sniff 40 pts, and the same posters tell us how great the ROR trade was because we improved by 20 pts. You know it's coming.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m ridiculously happy that we have Dahlin, but as soon as we won the lottery I knew the Blind Botts love would be a mask for any reasonable judgment.

I mean imagine this team if you replace Dahlin with Svech or one of the other top 5 forwards. Ugly.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Above is the quote i was referencing on the main boards. I really don't think blues fans have any buyers remorse - meanwhile we're kinda worried about Tage's development and the bloated contracts in berglund and sobotka.

I think people are confusing leadership styles with locker room issues. Perhaps part of the new attitude Housley was referencing is because Berglund, Sobotka, Hutton, etc bring a different kind of energy to the locker room than our roster guys from last season - ROR included. I refuse to believe that we're winning games because ROR is no longer on the team. Sometimes there really are just coincidences tying to things together.

I mean the wins are against some of the worst teams in the league, outside of Vegas which who knows with them, so while I’m pumped it hardly shows some totally new team attitude. Particularly when we get pounded by the two good teams we played.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I’m less worried about scoring with Skinner effectively playing 2C, but the early returns on Eichel replacing O’Reilly’s defense appear to be really bad.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I mean the wins are against some of the worst teams in the league, outside of Vegas which who knows with them, so while I’m pumped it hardly shows some totally new team attitude. Particularly when we get pounded by the two good teams we played.
Yeah, i don't even want to sound like the stereotypical buffalo fan, but the wins we've had have been fun but there is nothing that shows we've turned a corner. Not yet, anyways.

Reactions: TheStorm

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
3 wins against bottom six teams don't have you putting money aside for playoff ducats?
And two of them we were badly outplayed. The game vs Vegas you could at least make a case we deserved to win but even then it was by no means impressive. The two actual good NHL teams we have played so far crushed us like a tin can on home ice to a 10-1 aggregate, and on home ice no less.

Reactions: Fearnot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad