Confirmed with Link: The Riot | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Sorry I missed it, and I went back thru the thread, what 'little' comment did Bennett make?

Thanks in advance.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm still seething over this trade. Part of me wants to watch the ducks more now, I caught their last two games. I've been a Pen fan since Mario was drafted, been watching ever since then, but it gets harder and harder to watch. Part of the enjoyment of a long time fan is to see youngsters come up through the org and blossom into something. I've always had, and still have pretty high hopes that Despres is going to be a bonafide stud in this league some day. At the very least he will be the rock of a 2nd pairing on a cup contender some day. We traded that for Ben Lovejoy, I know he's "better" now. Last time he was here he was a train wreck, anyone else remember when him and England going out was automatic disaster, but yet was rolled out time and time again?
If a few years and someone have some faith in Lovejoy could get him from then to now, a guy with a much lower ceiling. What do you think Despres could blossom into?

For whatever reason, this is the most ticked I've been over a trade. It makes zero sense on any level. No matter how you try to rationalize it. It's even more frustrating that not one media person in pittsburgh has the stones or intelligence to call it out for what it was. An IDIOTIC trade. Molinari sees it (i think) but he's been disinterested in writing critical stuff about the Pens for years now.

I think that Mackey might see it some as well, but as a beat reporter and practically a paid employee of the Pens doesn't have the stones to say anything negative about it.

This post pretty much is exactly how I feel (still), especially the bolded parts.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
when lovejoy was traded to the ducks, he said that while playing for the penguins he was "afraid to make a mistake" because he would then be benched and play again for awhile. he is a consummate team player and professional, so he then went on to say that that was the mindset because the pens were a team with cup expectations, a real contender, lots of veterans, blah blah blah.

not a huge shot at the organization but when mr nice guy lovejoy says something like that, it's almost certainly true and probably worse than he let on.

And now we just gave up on Despres because he wasn't completely polished at 23.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Everytime I see this picture I imagine "I will remember you" playing in background.

onA4SxT.jpg

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I haven't seen anyone but Yoyo say that, and I wouldn't trust him if he told me he was pissing on my leg as I witnessed him taking a leak on my leg. So there's that.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
This organization really pisses me off. I'm worried about the future in that Rutherford doesn't seem to care about making boneheaded trades and giving up more value just to get the player he desires.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
despres is so out of control that in this social media era where everything is available immediately no one can really point to any specific instance of him doing anything wrong? this is really starting to feel a bit like the dez bryant situation in dallas in its overall sliminess. just gross behavior, despres should higher a lawyer.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
This organization really pisses me off. I'm worried about the future in that Rutherford doesn't seem to care about making boneheaded trades and giving up more value just to get the player he desires.

At this point I'm not just worried about JR. Especially if this "the trade came from the AGM's" thing is true. I don't trust JR, Guerin, Botterill, Morehouse, even Mario. This **** has been going on for too long with NO ONE doing anything about it. Remember DK's interview with Mario and Burkle after last year. Remember the part about young kids never getting their chance? The organization is really following up on that, huh?

It seems like everyone is in on this culture.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

Yeah, Rutherford certainly isn't the guy to maximize our assets. That's probably his weakest quality from what I've seen so far. I'm not that unhappy with the Neal for Hornqvist/Spaling deal but I do think he could have squeezed more out of Nashville if he had better haggling skills. Same with Despres. I think he could have got more out of Anaheim or maybe more somewhere else if he tried or were better at doing that type of thing.

Anyway, I like that Simon cares. Really sucks they decided to dump him. The kid's probably in a better place now though. He won't be getting dicked around by our regime anymore.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
This is the ONLY trade from JR that I have a problem with, he has been stellar but who in their right mind would think Lovejoy is an upgrade over Despres? At least get the most out of it by asking for a 2nd or 3rd back, I could live with the trade at that point. I agree Captain Hook, he could have gotten more out of Nashville but it's not like he didn't get quality pieces back. Hornqvist and Spaling are good players, I will always view Lovejoy as a 6-8 defenseman.

I just don't understand this trade and never will. It makes you think, would JR trade Maatta for Engelland in the future to add that "experience"?

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
Sorry I missed it, and I went back thru the thread, what 'little' comment did Bennett make?

Thanks in advance.

Missed it too, anyone know what page it's on?

This post pretty much is exactly how I feel (still), especially the bolded parts.

Same here, Nobody I've talked to IRL about this trade have anything good to say about it, and they're certainly not aware hfboards even exists. It's not just some of us, but anyway...

Everytime I see this picture I imagine "I will remember you" playing in background.

onA4SxT.jpg

:cry:

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
This is the ONLY trade from JR that I have a problem with, he has been stellar but who in their right mind would think Lovejoy is an upgrade over Despres? At least get the most out of it by asking for a 2nd or 3rd back, I could live with the trade at that point. I agree Captain Hook, he could have gotten more out of Nashville but it's not like he didn't get quality pieces back. Hornqvist and Spaling are good players, I will always view Lovejoy as a 6-8 defenseman.

I just don't understand this trade and never will. It makes you think, would JR trade Maatta for Engelland in the future to add that "experience"?

Perhaps it was his way of avoiding having to dish out a long-term contract renewal to Despres this Summer?

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
the nice thing about rutherford is that he generally only does trades that benefit both sides. he has a good reputation around the league as a very fair trader.

shero was known for fleecing other gm's. that made them wary to deal with him.

i imagine rutherford is a pretty popular guy in gm circles. well-respected, almost certainly.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
allan muir from si.com has sources that tell him the exact same shadowy things that were told to dejan about despres. just silly.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
VIA SI...

• An insider told SI.com the trade deadline deal that sent promising young defender Simon Despres to Anaheim in exchange for low-ceiling veteran Ben Lovejoy wasn't as surprising as it looked on the surface, saying off-ice issues and broken trust played into Pittsburgh's decision to cut ties with its 2009 first round draft pick. It was pretty clear to anyone who was watching that the big blueliner had glaring consistency issues in his game, but it sounds like they were more than just part of the learning process. Our source wouldn't be specific about what the problems with Despres were, but said they influenced the team's decision not to pursue a new contract with the 23-year-old. To his credit, Despres has made a quick adjustment with Anaheim, putting up a +3 in his debut, and there's no denying that he has the tools to be a solid NHL defender. Sometimes a trade is exactly what a young player needs to get his priorities straight: see Seguin, Tyler. Here's hoping the change of scene helps Despres maximize his considerable potential.
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/06/ka...epres-ben-lovejoy-trade-reason-penguins-ducks

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

let's wait and see the playoffs before calling his trades so far "stellar"... so far I would call them lateral moves...

to me if all these trades were in fact JR he seems to be eager to change things just for the sake of changing or to make a splash in front of the owners considering he has just a couple of years at the helm...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
allan muir from si.com has sources that tell him the exact same shadowy things that were told to dejan about despres. just silly.

How could that be? Dejan insists his sources were outside the Penguins organization. Muir has some Pittsburgh bartender sources?

And with all the libel stuff going on, it's not wonder they won't name specifics.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I like how every time a core player gets traded, it's because there's a character issue.

I don't buy that Neal / Despres are bad guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad