Confirmed with Link: The Riot | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Brian Burke helped get Deryk Engelland like 3 million per year. You don't think the Flames would have given up something serious for Despres?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Like many have stated, I too am disappointed with the return the Pens received for Despres... regardless of management's admiration of Lovejoy.

However, I don't understand the continual displeasure for the entire organization, for JR, Mario, etc... due to one move.

Before DK's and Muir's reports of "off ice issues," we all noticed and even noted the signs. (...and I don't read "off ice issues" as behavioral or attitude problems.)

Despres' training camp fitness level saga from a few years ago... his lapses in reading plays and decision making... Despres' lack of acceleration (watch game after game of him being unable to separate from fore-checkers.)

All of these things line up with "sources" stating that he had "off ice" or training/fitness and film study issues.

Maybe Despres blossoms in SoCal, maybe not. However, it was clear that two different coaching staffs, and two GMs became exasperated by his lack of development in certain areas.

I don't like the quality of return, but I'm not going to pretend that Despres had hopes of rising above Letang, Maatta, or Pouliot, nor was he much more, if any more valuable, than Harrington or Dumoulin.

A future number four, in an organization where four through six futures are not so different... doesn't seem worth all the outrage.

561.gif

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Brian Burke helped get Deryk Engelland like 3 million per year. You don't think the Flames would have given up something serious for Despres?

But why would we trade Despres to Calgary when we could get the great and experienced Ben Lovejoy? Lovejoy made Cam Fowler into what he is, didn't you know that?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Like many have stated, I too am disappointed with the return the Pens received for Despres... regardless of management's admiration of Lovejoy.

However, I don't understand the continual displeasure for the entire organization, for JR, Mario, etc... due to one move.

Before DK's and Muir's reports of "off ice issues," we all noticed and even noted the signs. (...and I don't read "off ice issues" as behavioral or attitude problems.)

Despres' training camp fitness level saga from a few years ago... his lapses in reading plays and decision making... Despres' lack of acceleration (watch game after game of him being unable to separate from fore-checkers.)

All of these things line up with "sources" stating that he had "off ice" or training/fitness and film study issues.

Maybe Despres blossoms in SoCal, maybe not. However, it was clear that two different coaching staffs, and two GMs became exasperated by his lack of development in certain areas.

I don't like the quality of return, but I'm not going to pretend that Despres had hopes of rising above Letang, Maatta, or Pouliot, nor was he much more, if any more valuable, than Harrington or Dumoulin.

A future number four, in an organization where four through six futures are not so different... doesn't seem worth all the outrage.

Despres had the flu, he wasn't out of shape in camp. That's been well known for awhile.

Clearly he was a bad apple trying to skate through his sickness.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
But why would we trade Despres to Calgary when we could get the great and experienced Ben Lovejoy? Lovejoy made Cam Fowler into what he is, didn't you know that?

Do you really want to hurt me?

Do you really want to make me cry?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's amazing how suddenly these members who never really post come out of the woodwork to defend the Pens organization after a silly trade.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Kills me how I keep hearing "TWO different staffs saw something in Despres they didn't like..."

I'm not the first one to come up with this one, but two different staffs see something in Craig Adams that 29 other teams don't see.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Kills me how I keep hearing "TWO different staffs saw something in Despres they didn't like..."

I'm not the first one to come up with this one, but two different staffs see something in Craig Adams that 29 other teams don't see.
And Rob Scuderi

The management team is mediocre.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I read that, it was interesting, but I feel like he watched each of them once, against the Kings.

The Pens played the Kings on Oct 30th. Despres gotten a little better since then. I always didn't understand his comment about physicality. He "insults" Despres' physicality, but never explains what he means.

Even eliminating hits, I prefer Despres' ability to go in the corners and win a board battle kind of physicality over just about anyone else on the Pens roster.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
I read that, it was interesting, but I feel like he watched each of them once, against the Kings.

The Pens played the Kings on Oct 30th. Despres gotten a little better since then. I always didn't understand his comment about physicality. He "insults" Despres' physicality, but never explains what he means.

Even eliminating hits, I prefer Despres' ability to go in the corners and win a board battle kind of physicality over just about anyone else on the Pens roster.

At least that was first time I've ever seen a media member refer to Despres carrying Scuderi and not the other way around. If the PGH media heard that their heads would explode.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This trade is still absolute ******** like 96 hours later. **** outta here Botterill.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

My interpretation was that he preferred (what he saw as) Lovejoy's tendency to rub out puck carriers to (what he saw as) Despres' tendency to lay bigger hits on guys after they made passes. Hence being somewhat dismissive of Despres' counted hits.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
My interpretation was that he preferred (what he saw as) Lovejoy's tendency to rub out puck carriers to (what he saw as) Despres' tendency to lay bigger hits on guys after they made passes. Hence being somewhat dismissive of Despres' counted hits.

yea, I get where he's going with it, I just totally disagree with it, which I guess is why I said insult. I think Despres is really good in corner/board work.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I would like to know more about these off-ice issues and this broken trust between the Pens and Simon Despres. I'm sure it will out come out at some point.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I would like to know more about these off-ice issues and this broken trust between the Pens and Simon Despres. I'm sure it will out come out at some point.

Don't be so sure. We never did hear what was so bad about Neal. Maybe if they are pressed on it they will come up with something that can't, or won't, be verified.

Broken trust, indeed

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if Morehouse weasels his way into becoming a mod here and starts banning posters with anti-Pens FO thoughts.

That's what the zero post accounts are for ... flagging certain posts for liable or whatever so they're deleted. Being a mod would be too hands on for the PR Machine. Gotta keep a certain degree of deniability, doncha know.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
Despres had the flu, he wasn't out of shape in camp. That's been well known for awhile.

Clearly he was a bad apple trying to skate through his sickness.

So when the Pens PR dept says he had the flu at training camp , that we believe.

But when the Pens PR dept (thru DK) says it was off ice issues that is rubbish meant to slander a guy they traded.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
So when the Pens PR dept says he had the flu at training camp , that we believe.

But when the Pens PR dept (thru DK) says it was off ice issues that is rubbish meant to slander a guy they traded.

Nice ninja edit.

This post is still pretty bad, but at least you realized how truly moronic that last sentence was.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I don't believe anything anyone says, and you should probably learn the definition of slander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad