Confirmed with Link: The Riot | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
when this thread hits 1k - let's move to the Despres appreciation thread to which we will pay homage for years and years

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
when this thread hits 1k - let's move to the Despres appreciation thread to which we will pay homage for years and years

okay but can we get my 2000 word dissertation on Despres, Scuderi and the PK stickied?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wow. I'm so impressed by the Ducks. Even ignoring the Despres part of that article, the fact that they recognized that despite winning they still had flaws is so refreshing. The Penguins could learn a lot from them.

The best part is that our management thinks they improved our defense. They think this trade made our team a better team when in reality they gutted our defensive depth by trading our only prospect that played with size. Dumo has size, but he has yet to use it to his advantage. Granted, the first couple rounds of Despres in the NHL, he wasn't using his size either. He listened to the coaches though and eventually start to use it.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks go out in the first round.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I just looked at the trade board, and the Despres thread is the only deadline day deal still on the front page :laugh:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Salty

It always makes me warm and fuzzy when you read something like:

I just looked at the trade board, and the Despres thread is the only deadline day deal still on the front page :laugh:

:laugh: This trade gets funnier by the day.

Duck-Sauce-Charlie-Sheen-Spinstyles-Bi-Winning-Edit.jpg

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I blanking on who said it, but we recently traded a dman and they were very blunt about pittsburgh not utilizing youth. I swear it was Lovejoy. Does anyone recall this?

I'd love to hear honest comments from Despres.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I blanking on who said it, but we recently traded a dman and they were very blunt about pittsburgh not utilizing youth. I swear it was Lovejoy. Does anyone recall this?

Lovejoy commented on the nonsensical, idiotic "systems" Bylsma tried to employ. Not sure he was the one complaining about them not playing youth since he was like 28 at the time he was dealt.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Strait?

Bourque said on the radio that DB flat out didn't like Lovejoy and he was afraid to make mistakes because it would get him benched.

Shocking news, hopefully you were sitting down when you read that.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Strait?

Bourque said on the radio that DB flat out didn't like Lovejoy and he was afraid to make mistakes because it would get him benched.

Shocking news, hopefully you were sitting down when you read that.

Lovejoy was on some ESPN podcast this week (I think Tuesday) and was talking about the trade and his previous time with the Pens and mentioning some of the players who helped give him confidence when he didn't have any and I don't think he mentioned the coach at all. Was a nice listen though, really hope he plays well for you all.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this experience agenda the Pens PR machine keeps trying to brainwash the fans with.

With Martin, Letang, Ehrhoff and Scuds that is 356 games of playoff experience. Exactly how much playoff experience do they want from their guys? It seems pretty ridiculous to be pimping experience when you have that much experience on your blueline.

Then we are told Cole and Lovejoy were brought in because of their experience. Yet Cole has two playoff games under his belt.... Two. Despres has 6 and Bort has 8.

I like the Cole for Bort trade, but this whole "experience" ******** is ridiculous.

Lovejoy was on some ESPN podcast this week (I think Tuesday) and was talking about the trade and his previous time with the Pens and mentioning some of the players who helped give him confidence when he didn't have any and I don't think he mentioned the coach at all. Was a nice listen though, really hope he plays well for you all.

I kept trying to say Lovejoy was a solid player. I watched him in the A and thought he could at worst be a bottom pairing guy. However, Bylsma, as was his trademark, benched Lovejoy whenever he made mistakes and absolutely held the guy back. If he had given Lovejoy a shot, maybe the Pens don't bring in Scuds. Then this trade never happens either.

Bylsma is the gift that just keeps on giving.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They gotta sell it somehow, Jiggy.

It wouldn't play well on social media if they just came out and said "We're lazy as hell and didn't like the one French guy... so... eh, whatever. Give us your money."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Wow. I'm so impressed by the Ducks. Even ignoring the Despres part of that article, the fact that they recognized that despite winning they still had flaws is so refreshing. The Penguins could learn a lot from them.

To be fair, the Pens thought they did the same thing. They just made a terrible assessment and a worse trade.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They gotta sell it somehow, Jiggy.

It wouldn't play well on social media if they just came out and said "We're lazy as hell and didn't like the one French guy... so... eh, whatever. Give us your money."

Us fanz b dum. We know put togethar fazzcts.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
:D

You joke but that's what they count on, yeah. And largely are not wrong in doing so.

In the end, it's over. No take backs. It's just hard to feel good about an org that is proven to not be able to develop young talent... to know they tried to move BB... that they just sold low on Despres... that the same scouting staff is still in place... that JR is well known for depleting his farms... all signs and facts point to a scary, scary mix.

Being the positive person I am, I keep telling myself maybe Lovejoy makes Scuderi expendable and Scuds is moved this summer. Since Scuds makes three times as much, that would be a big win there.

I also like blueliners built like Cole. He's built like a brick **** house, but has those fast twitch muscle fibers and his movements are very compact and smooth. He's not gangly and clumsy like Bort and to an extent, Despres at times. I quickly watched some archive footage on him after the deal, and while it doesn't give you a feel for his game, you can see his economy of motion is outstanding.

That one play he had from the point where he sent a cross ice pass on the backside post to Perron I believe, was impressive. Good vision and quick decision making, and some really nice skill there. Bort would have fumbled the puck around and then maybe got a shot on net. It's just little things like that, that can make a big difference.

His problems, from what I can gather, are all upstairs. So maybe if he can gain some confidence ala Lovejoy, Nisky, etc, he can be a good #5.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... I'm going to do my absolute best to laugh and hope for the best while expecting the worst. I liked the Cole trade and think he's an overall improvement on Bort. And I like your take on the Lovejoy/Scuderi dynamic and will convince myself that it's a possibility.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
when lovejoy was traded to the ducks, he said that while playing for the penguins he was "afraid to make a mistake" because he would then be benched and play again for awhile. he is a consummate team player and professional, so he then went on to say that that was the mindset because the pens were a team with cup expectations, a real contender, lots of veterans, blah blah blah.

not a huge shot at the organization but when mr nice guy lovejoy says something like that, it's almost certainly true and probably worse than he let on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad