Confirmed with Link: The Riot | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
This kid was starting to look like a #4 this year and was doing it while babysitting our old, $3.5 million pylon with an albatross contract.

What does Ben Lovejoy have our Despres? Size? Skating? Puck handling? Passing? Strength? Physicality? Snarl? Age? Upside? NOTHING.

Despres dominated the AHL playoffs while our so-called future D (Dumoulin, Harrington) were only just holding their own.

**** off Rutherford, Morehouse, and this entire organization and their infatuation with nostalgia and "nice" guys. And **** the Pittsburgh media for acting as PR spokesmen for this joke of a franchise.

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
Yes, we trade a young number four for a old number nine. Great move Stupidford. Why not extend Scuderi for another twenty years. In one move you destroyed the team. I hope your happy. Good luck to Despres.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'll miss Simon. He has a very unique mix of size, speed and physicality. The only problems he has are inconsistency and a few too many mental mistakes. You never know if a player will be able to correct those things but if he does he'll be a hell of a top 4 D.

Yes, we trade a young number four for a old number nine. Great move Stupidford. Why not extend Scuderi for another twenty years. In one move you destroyed the team. I hope your happy. Good luck to Despres.

I don't like the deal either but there's no need for hyperbole. Lovejoy can function as a top 4 D nowadays. He isn't the same player he was when he left. He certainly isn't a #9.

Despres certainly has top 4 potential and much more overall potential than Lovejoy. He isn't consistent enough to be a top 4 guy right now though.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space

Advanced analytics show that Lovejoy, as of now, makes his teammates better than Després does, for now. Furthermore, Lovejoy wasn't a 9th here and he'll be more like a 4th here as of now.

Cut it out with your BS hatred already unless you want to become a member of the hate show club runned by that fake Pens fan around here (hint: Leonsis avatar).

This said, unless Després doesnt become a top 4, i will never like this trade!

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Truly believe that this kid has the highest potential of all of our young defensemen. Not as smart as Pouliot or Maatta and more inconsistent, but moves the puck well, fast, huge, and can hit... He has the best pure physical tools of any defenseman we have outside of Letang. Kills me to see him go.

Who do the Pens have to clear the front of the net?

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
some bikes only have one gear

This post is loaded with more irony than my entire oeuvre combined.

I did realize that with Bortuzzo also getting shipped out, the 2012 lockout WBS top pairing is no longer with the organization. That's sad. Those two were huge for that team. The offense struggled a lot, particularly early, and the Bort/Despres pairing kept them in a lot of games.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This post is loaded with more irony than my entire oeuvre combined.

I did realize that with Bortuzzo also getting shipped out, the 2012 lockout WBS top pairing is no longer with the organization. That's sad. Those two were huge for that team. The offense struggled a lot, particularly early, and the Bort/Despres pairing kept them in a lot of games.

it would only be ironic if I had one note. While you can say many negative things about me, I have way more range than you, and I hide my trolling significantly better (if I do say so myself).

But it is easier to be 100% sarcastic about everything than it is to actually have a personal opinion and have to deal with people's reactions to it.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
Advanced analytics show that Lovejoy, as of now, makes his teammates better than Després does, for now. Furthermore, Lovejoy wasn't a 9th here and he'll be more like a 4th here as of now.

Cut it out with your BS hatred already unless you want to become a member of the hate show club runned by that fake Pens fan around here (hint: Leonsis avatar).

This said, unless Després doesnt become a top 4, i will never like this trade!

Do those same advanced analysis take into account their d partners? It's more than fair to say that Lovejoy was being carried, especially going from the eye test accounts of Ducks fans, and that Despres was hampered due to playing with an anchor attached to him.

Penguinzilla*

Seriously? I'm not a fan of the trade but he wasn't that good.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I believe Beauchemin, Wisniewski (oh my god, I spelled both those names correctly on the first try), Giodarno, and Kronwall weren't NHLers until their mid-20s.

But that's OK, they're nothings.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Eh, outside of BillyBudd, I don't think anyone with a negative view of Despres is really a person whose posts you should be able to see, gnomesayin?

To be clear, I don't really have a negative opinion of Despres. 23 year old D, 70 games in or whatever, picked at 30, he's at a perfectly reasonable place. Some things to like, some things to not like. Not everybody's Larry Robinson in year 3. In fact, nobody is.

He's not our second best defenseman, or whatever, but he's fine, in my opinion, for his experience and what he's being asked to do.

Trading him seems like an overreaction to flaws that are somewhat common in players his age, to me. And it's placing an awful lot of faith in Brian Dumoulin. I like Dumoulin, but maybe it would be smarter to get to know the new boyfriend a bit better before you file the divorce papers, so to speak.

I wonder if Pens fans will be posting about how BB is underutilizing Despres when he's healthy scratched for Stoner.

It'll be interesting to see if we're right about this. I strongly believe SD just went from an ok situation for him personally to a very bad one.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It'll be interesting to see if we're right about this. I strongly believe SD just went from an ok situation for him personally to a very bad one.

I also would say that Bruce Boudreau isn't the best coach for younger players. I mean look at how the goaltenders have been treated in Anaheim, in the playoffs no less.

I'm not saying I dislike Despres. I was actually contemplating buying the new alternate with his name, glad I waited.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Maybe JR was promissed a prospect or pick at the draft from Murray!!!!!

Murray crossed his fingers.

Also, why would Stoner play over Despres? Despres is 23 and full of potential. Stoner is 30, what you see is what you get as he's done developing. Despres also has an inch on Stoner and hits more. Despres 184 hits (4th for D), Stoner 104 hits (50th for D).

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
To be clear, I don't really have a negative opinion of Despres. 23 year old D, 70 games in or whatever, picked at 30, he's at a perfectly reasonable place. Some things to like, some things to not like. Not everybody's Larry Robinson in year 3. In fact, nobody is.

He's not our second best defenseman, or whatever, but he's fine, in my opinion, for his experience and what he's being asked to do.

Trading him seems like an overreaction to flaws that are somewhat common in players his age, to me. And it's placing an awful lot of faith in Brian Dumoulin. I like Dumoulin, but maybe it would be smarter to get to know the new boyfriend a bit better before you file the divorce papers, so to speak.

Does anyone have any insight into Dumoulin?

Judging by how quickly he was sent down during pre-season and that I think he's been the last call-up (among Dumo, Harry & DP) and been up the least, the Pens don't seem to be too high on him.

Fans on this board and bloggers also seem to put him below the other two and definitely below Despres and Maatta.

I don't know that I would say that moving Despres is putting faith in Dumoulin. Instead, the team seems to have judged Maatta and Pouliot as the defensemen of the future with Letang and that the other three slots could be filled in any way (UFA, trades, Dumo/Harry).

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Murray crossed his fingers.

Also, why would Stoner play over Despres? Despres is 23 and full of potential. Stoner is 30, what you see is what you get as he's done developing. Despres also has an inch on Stoner and hits more.

Because BB is an idiot and has the same mentality as DB. Wouldn't be surprised if he is left out and is the 7th D in Anaheim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad